Upgrading Nand/eMMC capacity to TV Box

asarat

Sep 17, 2020
Hello All,

I will be very grateful to any who may help me with this doubt...

I have a TV Box based on S905X3, such TV Box comes with 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM, but I want to replace (with somebody that currently have reballing some laptops motherboards) the Nand Module with more capacity (let's say 128GB ROM).

But I would like to know if that is possible, since the firmware that comes with the TV Box needs to be changed to, in order the software recognizes 1st. the Brand of Nand Module and 2nd. the storage capacity.

Since, I think (due to my limited experience with PCBs), this PCBs comes like the Motherboards for Computers Desktop or Laptop where the RAM is standard (despite the brand) and the ROM is the HDD or SDD standard too (despite the brand and working with equivalent eMMC/Nand modules), and the unique difference is the brand ??

I have understood that at the difference from Desktop/Laptop Computers, the TV Boxe PCBs don't have Bios, then the "Boot ini file" is flashed at the same time the firmware is loaded to ROM. so opening the firmware, and adding by code the name of drivers and location the PCB recognizes all the drivers for hardware placed on PCB.

It's the above correct?

and for that reason, the different firmware placed in forums and communities are packed for specific SoC brands, like Allwinner, Rockchip, Amlogic, Etc., and after according to different TV Box factories and brands like Mecool KM1, TX3, TX9, H95 Pro, H96 Max, Etc. ??

At the end, confirming my doubt will help me to proceed to such ROM Upgrade. based on ROM modules brands like Biwin, Queenston, Samsung, Etc.; I will open the firmware file, find the right "dtbo.img" file to change drivers, and then flashing the TV Box.. right !!

Thank you so much...

aidanmacgregor

Nov 19, 2011
Caithness
aidansrom.freecluster.eu
Hello All,

I will be very grateful to any who may help me with this doubt...

I have a TV Box based on S905X3, such TV Box comes with 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM, but I want to replace (with somebody that currently have reballing some laptops motherboards) the Nand Module with more capacity (let's say 128GB ROM).

But I would like to know if that is possible, since the firmware that comes with the TV Box needs to be changed to, in order the software recognizes 1st. the Brand of Nand Module and 2nd. the storage capacity.

Since, I think (due to my limited experience with PCBs), this PCBs comes like the Motherboards for Computers Desktop or Laptop where the RAM is standard (despite the brand) and the ROM is the HDD or SDD standard too (despite the brand and working with equivalent eMMC/Nand modules), and the unique difference is the brand ??

I have understood that at the difference from Desktop/Laptop Computers, the TV Boxe PCBs don't have Bios, then the "Boot ini file" is flashed at the same time the firmware is loaded to ROM. so opening the firmware, and adding by code the name of drivers and location the PCB recognizes all the drivers for hardware placed on PCB.

It's the above correct?

and for that reason, the different firmware placed in forums and communities are packed for specific SoC brands, like Allwinner, Rockchip, Amlogic, Etc., and after according to different TV Box factories and brands like Mecool KM1, TX3, TX9, H95 Pro, H96 Max, Etc. ??

At the end, confirming my doubt will help me to proceed to such ROM Upgrade. based on ROM modules brands like Biwin, Queenston, Samsung, Etc.; I will open the firmware file, find the right "dtbo.img" file to change drivers, and then flashing the TV Box.. right !!

Thank you so much...
The pinout of different nand chips can be different, look at the differences in pins to achieve mask rom mode on various device, same brands have a higher chance to have same pins but can be different, only way to be sure is to check pinouts on the datasheets of the 2 chips, ensure voltages and clock pins ect... all match up

Ram Inof is usally stored in the DTB but i believe the storage will detect automatically, is flashes system, vendor. first, then flashed the data partition to fill the remaining storage with the lines similar to
dtbo-80000
system-3004334
vendor=8432432
data=fill

Drivers are usually inside the vendor partition, for wifi, bluetoothe ect... the DTB has hardware info like ram, pins or the ir sensor, rest button ect... and remote control information too