• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Upgrading the S10e's battery theory?!

Search This thread

YoungPumpkin

Jul 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I had an idea.

I previously owned an S10e that was second hand and the phone's battery was so bad it couldn't last through the day.

S10e battery ( EB-BG970ABU )

I was craving for a big battery so I ordered a Samsung M51 with a large 7000mAh battery but I still cant get over the feeling of a small phone in my hands. I loved my old A5 2017 and s10e is almost the same size.

So I was thinking maybe I can upgrade the battery. Both S10 and S10+ have a bigger battery as in capacity and dimensions. But then I looked for an earlier phone. S9?

S9+ battery ( EB-BG965ABU )

It has the same connector but I don't know the dimensions so I was hoping any1 can help me with this case.

Thx to all. <3

Attachments

• S9+ Battery.png
    S9+ Battery.png
    143 KB · Views: 28
  • S10e Battery.png
    S10e Battery.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 28

MrGoodtunes

Nov 8, 2007
South Florida
... I don't know the dimensions so I was hoping any1 can help ...
The S10e stock battery measures 42mm wide, and 71mm tall; not counting the circuit piece, which adds another 5mm to height. My battery is still glued in, so I can't measure its thickness (yet). I too have been thinking about changing my battery (downsizing), but the apparently attached circuitry is puzzling:

S10e.jpg

YoungPumpkin

Jul 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Thx soo much for this information. Im searching far and wide and the closest thing is the s9+ battery as mentioned. I will try to find some infortation and wll go on from there as im probably not the only one trying to get the most out of a great phone.

YoungPumpkin

Jul 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Ohhhh ok then.

I asked store owners on aliexpress selling batteries and they were kind enough to send me this. It's sooo close.

Attachments

• -887151569-1051758256.jpg
    -887151569-1051758256.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 76
  • -88835753239674586.jpg
    -88835753239674586.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 73

MrGoodtunes

Nov 8, 2007
South Florida
So it appears alternative batteries come with their own attached circuitry on top. Might work for you @YoungPumpkin but probably not for my wish to downsize. Your wish for more mAHr capacity will hinge on making larger battery fit. Phones of the past did this via thicker battery and special back cover with a little buldge.

YoungPumpkin

Jul 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I could desolder the cercuit of the pther battery and solder it to the new one as thats how they are connected right? If i wanted to fit the bigger battery in the s10e i would have to modify the phones metal body and thats not a problem. But idk if it would work software side of things. And what do you mean by downsizing? Why do you need a smaller battery?

MrGoodtunes

Nov 8, 2007
South Florida
I prefer a light weight phone; had S4 Mini for years. It was under 4 oz. Was forced to upgrade due to poor voice connections due to carriers changing to VoLTE. S10e was the least of the heavy weight evils for me. I have chargers everywhere, on my desk, next to bed, near easy chair, in my car, etc. The lowest my S10e battery has ever been is 82%. I'd like to take an ounce off its weight.

YoungPumpkin

Jul 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I think soldering the chipset of the battery isn't the problem. It has to fit or at least almost fit without destroying the chassis too much. I"ll check the dimensions of the batteries and compare them.

Back in the day they used to swap the s7e's battery onto S6 flats , so surely you will find the proper dimensions for it , also the phone is a tad smaller than the s9 , close to the s10e's dimensions so by that logic, the battery should fit better ?

Attachments

• s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 19
  • s10e.jpg
    s10e.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 18

YoungPumpkin

Jul 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
the soldering part is the easy part. I'm worried the battery won't fit because of the size. s10e's battery is roughly

I just noticed there is a code on the battery that determines its size 1/CP6/44/77 [s10e] and that's where it bottles up.

Attachments

• s7e-battery.png
    s7e-battery.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 18
  • s10e-battery.png
    s10e-battery.png
    536.2 KB · Views: 18
  • comparison.png
    comparison.png
    6 KB · Views: 19
Maybe if you flip that top connector , in case it is flexible , then there shouldnt be a size difference issue .
Also dont they make the cutouts for the batteries bigger now, to allow them to expand (since the note 7 issue ) ?
Let us know of your progress, I have an s10e as well & it's brand new for now, but if you manage to get a bigger battery in it, i will open the back glass too .

YoungPumpkin

Jul 15, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I was planning to upgrade the battery when I bought the s10e the second time but I wasn't sure so I opened the form to talk out the possibilities. as of right now my battery isn't that bad but when it does get bad I might upgrade because I like the form factor of the phone.

Reactions: meghindo

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
Hey there,
I've been searching around for a topic like this since forever now, only thing i could find is a YouTube video which wasn't clear enough.
Since my battery health was already dying on s10e i thought about an upgrade instead of replacement but couldn't find similar dimensions to s10e's battery.
Then i got a juice pack but it made the phone bulkier and the continuous charge would heat up the phone + increment on the charge cycles of the battery.
Already tried s9+ battery but it doesn't fit in the frame horizontally
Though vertically it was a perfect fit and a bit thicker overall
I replaced the complete pcb, removed the battery's covering and adhesive strips , didn't make much of a difference either.
I've contacted a lithium ion battery manufacturing unit located in china
Who make custom batteries with your preferred dimensions but in Bulk and they were ready to ship 20 pieces for 7$ each .
But i highly doubt their performance or long term usage when compared to the Samsung manufactured ones .
Also you'd have to desolder the current pcb from your phones battery or else source PCBs from china in bulk again .

Hey there,
I've been searching around for a topic like this since forever now, only thing i could find is a YouTube video which wasn't clear enough.
Since my battery health was already dying on s10e i thought about an upgrade instead of replacement but couldn't find similar dimensions to s10e's battery.
Then i got a juice pack but it made the phone bulkier and the continuous charge would heat up the phone + increment on the charge cycles of the battery.
Already tried s9+ battery but it doesn't fit in the frame horizontally
Though vertically it was a perfect fit and a bit thicker overall
I replaced the complete pcb, removed the battery's covering and adhesive strips , didn't make much of a difference either.
I've contacted a lithium ion battery manufacturing unit located in china
Who make custom batteries with your preferred dimensions but in Bulk and they were ready to ship 20 pieces for 7$ each .
But i highly doubt their performance or long term usage when compared to the Samsung manufactured ones .
Also you'd have to desolder the current pcb from your phones battery or else source PCBs from china in bulk again .
Can you share some pictures or the video perhaps so we can have a look at them ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    The BMS on all of the S10 series are identical
    And the connectors are the same .
    So you can literally swap batteries of one with another.
    I was planning to upgrade the battery when I bought the s10e the second time but I wasn't sure so I opened the form to talk out the possibilities. as of right now my battery isn't that bad but when it does get bad I might upgrade because I like the form factor of the phone.
    Hello,
    The BMS on all of the S10 series are identical
    And the connectors are the same .
    So you can literally swap batteries of one with another.