• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Upgrading the S10e's battery theory?!

Search This thread
I've managed to get some exact measurements from some sellers for the s9+ battery

78 x 40 x 5 mm

Also they have sent pictures & from the picture , the width is more around 45/46mm rather than 40.

Mister GoodTunes said the s10e original battery measures 42mm wide, and 71mm tall +5mm circuit piece , so we have a 2mm difference in height , which could be adressed by bending the circuit piece for it to slide in place but looking at his picture with the open back, there doesnt seem to be an extra of 2~4 mm on the sides to accomodate the width of the s9+'s battery, at most 43~44mm .

Attachments

• 1.webp
    87.9 KB · Views: 3
  • s9+1.jpg
    s9+1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • s9+2.jpg
    s9+2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
It's about night time and i don't have the s9+ battery here.
Since i had only stock s10e battery i had to put it back into the phone.

I'll still be posting the s9+ battery pictures tomorrow for your convenience even though no point of trying to squeeze it in the s10e frame
the height doesn't matter there's a little bit of room like 4mm( top and below for expansion) s9+ battery easily squeezes in
it's the breadth which you'll have to look after and i don't think even after we somehow modified the frame we can glue down the back glass because of the thickness, unlike samsung s6 where it wasn't much of a difference and one could peel off the stickers from the battery to get more room.

Galaxy S10e Battery Compartment Measurements.jpg

In case anyone has an open back S10e , could you please post the exact measurements of the battery compartment , in milimeters. Thank you.

Late update , a user on reddit said the measurements are : 43mm x 78mm , this means we need to shave off 3mm from the width of the S9+ battery or modify the battery compartment for it to fit. Judging by MrGoodTune's picture posted on page one, there should be space on the opposite side of the motherboard.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
And i did aswell find a s10 replacement battery (which is usually not that good and shrunk in size than the original)

It fit very well in the battery compartment but I'm sure it won't make any difference because it's just 300mAh extra (minus the 20% non original performance which makes it as worse as my stock 2 year old battery is)
I'll still be using it for sometime and keep checking the battery health regularly then post the results

*Note:
20211119_145109.jpg
The original s10 battery from samsung won't fit even if you bent the circuit board

MrGoodtunes

Nov 8, 2007
South Florida
So, @emadhamid - You are using an aftermarket battery for S10 in your S10e. Congratulations! How did you deal with the circuitry at top of battery; were you able to use what came with the battery including ribbon connector as is, or did you detach it and replace it with S10e circuitry and ribbon connector?

This is great news you guys, congratulations for the findings .

Now, if only there was a way to modify the back glass and have it perform like the back covers did back on the S5 and previous models that had swappable battery. This way we'd have a hot swappable battery phone as I'm sure there are ways to charge the batteries directly.

Is anybody reading this that's good with designing STL 3D printed files , to give it a go at making a layout or a sketch for the design that we could use as a plastic cover for the phone ?

Worse case scenario I guess we could use a hard shell/tpu back cover for the phone.

Check this out to understand the ideea :

Attachments

• sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 12
  • usb.jpg
    usb.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
Since the idea seems fancy and innovative it isn't practical todau . you're forgetting some key details of the hardware.we barely shutdown our phones these day and keep many multi tasks running in the background .

1)Batteries in a phone are charged with the help of software , simply plugging one out and popping one in won't callibrate with the phone's software (although all of the phone batteries charge at same voltage)so either the battery will stay at 0% and phone will start prompting you to charge constantly but staying alive worse case scenario ,battery jumping 60% - 40% -30-10 and staying at 10 for the rest of the day.

2) making custom back panels : it will be pretty easy to make one but whenever you try to replace the battery you've to have a screwdriver with you .

3) you can't charge your phone without the wireless charging module , means you accidentally rip it off or tore it's cable ,be ready to buy a replacement one .

4)the internals of newer phones need to be cleaned thoroughly because they're not meant to be exposed (waterproofing) , and everytime you touch the camera sensor you degrade it's quality.

A better way would be to make a custom case which replaces your back cover completely , has room for bigger battery keeps the thermals of your phone adequate so that it doesn't blow off when you're charging it.
Like a juice pack but it doesn't charge through your port instead connects directly to battery connector on motherboard

What's wrong with just using a battery case all the time?
I looked for a bit but the only ones I can find in my area are questionable chinese ones and we dont trust those around here as they are known not to last very long .

But then again, leaving the phone alone & intact, how hard would it be to just modify the charger case and swap/improve the batteries on that, benefiting from the case's charger module that goes into the phone and just modifying the battery itself ?

I can think of the issue that the battery case wouldnt charge the phone fast enough as the phone's battery depletes so it would require a fast charging case I presume.

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
Using the battery case all the time . Pros and cons:

Your phone will remain charged all the time and could last days with regular use

Your phones charge cycles will raise ending up in low battery health or battery backup ,the moment you take off the battery case your phone will die (or maybe last an hour)

You don't need to tear up your phone which causes potential damages or harm it's warranty if you're using a battery case .

Your phone becomes double it's size like a chonky cheese brick ,no longer compact.

Your phone will heat up most of the times because it'll be charging which will drop the actual performance.

Situation:
1)Modifying the battery case:
The only way i can think of rn (as a designer and engineer) is to remove the charging port from it and add a wireless charging module coil .
Not that expensive but still causes heat. It's just that your charging port won't be busy all the time . + Charging will be slow so it won't hurt the battery cycles that much .

2) MAKING YOUR OWN CASE but this time around it doesn't charge your phone .but it's just a battery with a bigger size and mAh which connects directly to your phones motherboard. + Batteries are not Chinese but your original Samsung ones(literally any battery from samsung A or M series.
You Could also connect 2 iphone batteries 6,7,8 in parallel just because of their sleekness and durability)

It doesn't need to be as thick as the battery case because it just contains a battery.
That's the easiest way of all
I'll try to make an illustration of it soon . Until then check this video out :

This might seem a little bit complicated and ugly but once you figure out what needs to be done
You'll master it within a day .
Also you need to keep the phone as compact as possible so 5000mAh battery will be enough.so it doesn't look like a brick like that of this guy .

Using the battery case all the time . Pros and cons:

Your phone will remain charged all the time and could last days with regular use

Your phones charge cycles will raise ending up in low battery health or battery backup ,the moment you take off the battery case your phone will die (or maybe last an hour)

You don't need to tear up your phone which causes potential damages or harm it's warranty if you're using a battery case .

Your phone becomes double it's size like a chonky cheese brick ,no longer compact.

Your phone will heat up most of the times because it'll be charging which will drop the actual performance.

Situation:
1)Modifying the battery case:
The only way i can think of rn (as a designer and engineer) is to remove the charging port from it and add a wireless charging module coil .
Not that expensive but still causes heat. It's just that your charging port won't be busy all the time . + Charging will be slow so it won't hurt the battery cycles that much .

2) MAKING YOUR OWN CASE but this time around it doesn't charge your phone .but it's just a battery with a bigger size and mAh which connects directly to your phones motherboard. + Batteries are not Chinese but your original Samsung ones(literally any battery from samsung A or M series.
You Could also connect 2 iphone batteries 6,7,8 in parallel just because of their sleekness and durability)

It doesn't need to be as thick as the battery case because it just contains a battery.
That's the easiest way of all
I'll try to make an illustration of it soon . Until then check this video out :

This might seem a little bit complicated and ugly but once you figure out what needs to be done
You'll master it within a day .
Also you need to keep the phone as compact as possible so 5000mAh battery will be enough.so it doesn't look like a brick like that of this guy .

Loved the video and the whole ideea in general.
Now, you said something about the wireless charging module coil. I have an S7 and an S6 lying around and they both have the wireless charger thingie on the back, is that usable ? I mean, could we use that, like stick it on a battery and bam, we can charge from that battery ?

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
Now, you said something about the wireless charging module coil. I have an S7 and an S6 lying around and they both have the wireless charger thingie on the back, is that usable ? I mean, could we use that, like stick it on a battery and bam, we can charge from that battery ?
No sorry, there are mainly 3 parts to a wireless charging module
The receiver (which is most likely found inside your phone )
The transmitter and the control board which are found in the charging plate . transmitter is the thing you're looking for if you're planning to make a wireless battery case.
Not very easy to source one(but in bulk) for a powerbank/battery case because the circuitry needs to be as minute as possible to take the least space.
I've already sketched some models for the back cover case. Now i need to make a 3D one with proper dimensions. once they're done I'll put them up here and then I'll need someone to test them out because 3d printers are still rare in my country and ordering from commercial sites will take ages.

• Love
Reactions: CurlyBlonde

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
Just gave a look at these battery cases . They seem like Chinese knockoffs of Mophie ones
And they do write 5v 1amp in their description.
That's slower than a tortoise. Don't go for them.

Only if there is no other option left you can just buy any of them and try to replace the board inside with a faster one(hundreds are Available online)
The battery in them though may or may not be as big as specified.

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
After hours of sketching i figured out that it's better to make a custom back panel with a hollow space for a battery or second battery than to make a phone case .
only cons are :the phone will be less protected because you won't be able to fit protective cases. and you'll have to say goodbye to wireless charging.

I'm making one which has 55mm X 90mm X 5mm hollow
90mm height at the most because the Biggest battery i could think of fitting into the phone is s7 edge 3600mAh (BG935ABE)

Connecting 2 batteries will be even better option
How to connect two batteries at once : you've to remove the BMS from the second battery
And solder its terminals in parallel with the battery you're currently using (+ve to +ve and -ve to -ve)

Any suggestions, questions,doubts , please feel free to ask

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
How to do it:
Basic Soldering needed
By connecting in parallel Voltage will be the same only the capacity will increase .

Attachments

• 20211208_160523.jpg
    20211208_160523.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211208_162129.jpg
    20211208_162129.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211208_161238.jpg
    20211208_161238.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211208_161406.jpg
    20211208_161406.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211208_161805.jpg
    20211208_161805.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211208_162152.jpg
    20211208_162152.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

MrGoodtunes

Nov 8, 2007
South Florida
Many thanks @emadhamid for the six pics re batteries in parallel; good way to go for lots longer battery life. As you may know, my interest in this thread is different; I want to reduce the mass of my S10e, and do not need stock battery life. Thanks to your pics, I have done work on a dead S10e; removed it's battery, and began mocking up a much smaller battery from an old HTC.
S10e-Battpic1.jpg

Flipping over the S10e battery, there are indications for [+] and [-]. It's a little different in that the negative terminal is the one closer to the mother board connector. I verified this polarity is correct using my VOM multi-meter. Meanwhile, I hack'd the 4-terminal battery contactor piece off from the old HTC.
S10e-Battpic2.jpg

Just one sort of big hurddle left for me to get over; namely, soldering wires between BMS ribbons and very tiny terminals. I've done lots of soldering, but mostly speaker wires and automotive connections. My soldering iron is old and bulky, making this type of work a challenge for me. Laid in some wires; will probably trim, and then solder when I feel up to it.
S10e-Battpic3.jpg

emadhamid

Jan 3, 2017
Lucknow
I don't know why would you do that . Putting two BMS in a phone .
You would probably need to remove one of them if you can't work on minute soldering or the flex cable.

Put the battery on a metal sheet or any type heat conductor like a marble or tile.will help with heat management.

Tin the contact points on the BMS on your HTC battery
And then on your s10 BMS..you should be able to run a thin wire to the terminals ,just be sure about the polarity .

But in the pictures i can see you've ripped off the connector from the htc phone and want to place it in s10 to make it removable.
Then you'll probably need to find a way to connect it to motherboard points instead of your BMS terminal.
It's a heck lot of complication...
Best of luck for the soldering mate 👌

Reactions: MrGoodtunes

Top Liked Posts

It took me awhile to finally manage soldering wires to the sort of foil tape battery input connections of the S10e battery circuit board.
    Hehe, MacGyver at his best. 😄 Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures.

I'm just wondering why you want to save 22~23 grams? IMHO the S10e is not too heavy anyway, even with a back cover and a screen protector.
    ... wondering why you want to save 22~23 grams?
    Actually, I want to save more. It's still too heavy; maybe I'll try hacking out the now unnecessary lower half of its battery box. There are many reasons why I prefer lighter phone:
    (1) I'm fairly active, run alot (e.g. from parking lot into grocery store). Heavy phone tries to break its way out of my pocket. I hate that.
    (2) The feel of a heavy phone is as if I'm holding a dense slab of lead. I hate that too.
    (3) Heavy phone always feels like it's gonna slip out of my hand, has to be held tight.
    (4) My 1st cell was an HTC Touch weighing a bit over 4oz. My 2nd was an S4mini weighing a bit under 4oz. I still love them both, would be using S4mini if only some carrier here would support it. I could go on, but it'd be more about personal preferences.
    @MrGoodtunes Thanks for your explanation.

For me personally the weight of the S10e is totally OK and I'm glad to still have the original battery in it with the housing still being IP68 proof. My first Android phone was the Motorola Defy+ which was even smaller than the S4 Mini, however a bit more than 4 oz in weight, but (special for its time) IP67 proof.

Remember to put Helium or Hydrogen in the space that your smaller battery doesn't fill, so your phone gets even a bit lighter. ;) (But then you also need IP68 sealing to keep the gas in the housing. 😂)
    It took me awhile to finally manage soldering wires to the sort of foil tape battery input connections of the S10e battery circuit board. The foil seems to be covered in some kind of rubbery plastic or maybe adhesive. You can see a string like bit of it hanging up on the cut off left foil terminal:

S10eBatteryBoard.jpg

Used a razor blade to scrape whatever it is away to get to bare metal, being very careful to not mess up the really thin metal foil. After that, my solder joints worked. So I have reduced my S10e's mass by 22~23 grams, bringing its weight down from stock ~5.3oz to now ~4.5oz.

DownsizingBattery.jpg

A huge thanks to @emadhamid for important information and support.
    It took me awhile to finally manage soldering wires to the sort of foil tape battery input connections of the S10e battery circuit board.
    Hehe, MacGyver at his best. 😄 Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures.

I'm just wondering why you want to save 22~23 grams? IMHO the S10e is not too heavy anyway, even with a back cover and a screen protector.
    ... wondering why you want to save 22~23 grams?
    Actually, I want to save more. It's still too heavy; maybe I'll try hacking out the now unnecessary lower half of its battery box. There are many reasons why I prefer lighter phone:
    (1) I'm fairly active, run alot (e.g. from parking lot into grocery store). Heavy phone tries to break its way out of my pocket. I hate that.
    (2) The feel of a heavy phone is as if I'm holding a dense slab of lead. I hate that too.
    (3) Heavy phone always feels like it's gonna slip out of my hand, has to be held tight.
    (4) My 1st cell was an HTC Touch weighing a bit over 4oz. My 2nd was an S4mini weighing a bit under 4oz. I still love them both, would be using S4mini if only some carrier here would support it. I could go on, but it'd be more about personal preferences.
    @MrGoodtunes Thanks for your explanation.

For me personally the weight of the S10e is totally OK and I'm glad to still have the original battery in it with the housing still being IP68 proof. My first Android phone was the Motorola Defy+ which was even smaller than the S4 Mini, however a bit more than 4 oz in weight, but (special for its time) IP67 proof.

Remember to put Helium or Hydrogen in the space that your smaller battery doesn't fill, so your phone gets even a bit lighter. ;) (But then you also need IP68 sealing to keep the gas in the housing. 😂)
    How to do it:
    Basic Soldering needed
    By connecting in parallel Voltage will be the same only the capacity will increase .
    I was planning to upgrade the battery when I bought the s10e the second time but I wasn't sure so I opened the form to talk out the possibilities. as of right now my battery isn't that bad but when it does get bad I might upgrade because I like the form factor of the phone.
    Hello,
    The BMS on all of the S10 series are identical
    And the connectors are the same .
    So you can literally swap batteries of one with another.
    Screenshot_20211202-011446_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-011451_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-011459_Amazon.jpg
    something like this but permanent
    No sorry, there are mainly 3 parts to a wireless charging module
    The receiver (which is most likely found inside your phone )
    The transmitter and the control board which are found in the charging plate . transmitter is the thing you're looking for if you're planning to make a wireless battery case.
    Not very easy to source one(but in bulk) for a powerbank/battery case because the circuitry needs to be as minute as possible to take the least space.
    I've already sketched some models for the back cover case. Now i need to make a 3D one with proper dimensions. once they're done I'll put them up here and then I'll need someone to test them out because 3d printers are still rare in my country and ordering from commercial sites will take ages.