Question Upgrading to Android 13 Question

Search This thread

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
Hi,

I am currently on Android 12, rooted with Magisk, and I update each month using the latest Factory Image.

If (when) I upgrade to Android 13...

- I know it's usually recommended to do a clean install when you go to a brand new build, which means wiping data. I'm okay with this ASIDE from the fact that I have GBs worth of music on my phone which takes forever to both back up and restore.

- Do I really need to install 13 to both slots?

- Is root / Magisk working fine on 13?

- Any other suggestions on how to make this upgrade easier?

Thanks in advance!
Tony

DespairFactor

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Hi,

I am currently on Android 12, rooted with Magisk, and I update each month using the latest Factory Image.

- I know it's usually recommended to do a clean install when you go to a brand new build, which means wiping data. I'm okay with this ASIDE from the fact that I have GBs worth of music on my phone which takes forever to both back up and restore.

Thanks in advance!
Tony
it would be recommended to flash at least the bootloader to both slots, root works perfectly fine

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I haven't wiped before flashing a new version of Android on my Pixel phones in the last 5-6 years. Android 13 Stable that I manually updated using the full factory image, coming from the first Android 12 July update has worked fine for me.

Good thing, too, because I hate starting from scratch any more.

(I too have hundreds of GBs of music on my phone)

"Have to"? No. It would be good advice to install it to both slots, though.

Yes.

Thanks in advance!
Tony
No. Everything was just like every month's normal update process for me with flashing the full firmware zip to update, and then I flashed it again to the other slot the next day.

Reactions: tonyfiore75

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate it. I'll just flash the update as I normally would (editing the .bat file) to Slot A and then do the same to Slot B. Or can you flash it to -all slots at the same time? I know I used to do that with my Pixel 4 but that may have just been when flashing the magisk file.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

jumpet

Jul 10, 2010
suances
Sorry it's my first time with root and a custom kernel in the pixel, I have never updated it because I installed it on June, could you post a guide with the commands please?

Thanks a lot!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Sorry it's my first time with root and a custom kernel in the pixel, I have never updated it because I installed it on June, could you post a guide with the commands please?

Thanks a lot!
Hiya! Just click the yellow How To Guide quick filter at the top of list of threads in this section, and there are at least two or three threads for how to update. The OP of the thread in my signature below also has the commands.

acwcanada

Mar 19, 2016
Google Pixel 8
Didn't come to the forum to read messages in the past few days! I updated my P6P from A13 beta 4.1 to official using the factory image -w method as I have done it in the past 10 months. It is now running smoothly and I didn't encounter any problem so far. I start reading messages saying that A13 has to be flashed in slot A and slot B. Since I already upgrade my machine with normal method, I still able to keep my data, root and API integrity, and most import booting up normally, so do I have do it again to reflash to this Slot A/B thing? I am not so sure I understand this new requirement, so sorry if this question sounds stupid.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
If I have to flash to both slots with the factory image, do I also have to flash to both slots with the updated Magisk file as well?
Not really. Just do it on the slot you end up running. The slot you won't be running won't have root, but that's okay. You'll likely never actually use the other slot, and if by some rare chance you do, it's an easy thing to flash the Magisk'd stock boot.img to it at that time.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Didn't come to the forum to read messages in the past few days! I updated my P6P from A13 beta 4.1 to official using the factory image -w method as I have done it in the past 10 months. It is now running smoothly and I didn't encounter any problem so far. I start reading messages saying that A13 has to be flashed in slot A and slot B. Since I already upgrade my machine with normal method, I still able to keep my data, root and API integrity, and most import booting up normally, so do I have do it again to reflash to this Slot A/B thing? I am not so sure I understand this new requirement, so sorry if this question sounds stupid.
I'm trying to answer on mobile, so it's tough for me because most detailed support I give I do from the computer but I can't right now.

Check out the OP and last few pages of the thread on my signature below (use desktop mode in a mobile browser if necessary) for more information about flashing to both slots.

Look at it this way. Normally you only flash the full factory image once (so only to one slot). This time you did it once already, so now you'll have to switch slots and flash it to the other slot.

You could then switch slots again and use the slot you already re-rooted. Both slots have the same exact apps and app data - the second flashed slot just won't have the rooted boot.img that you already have on the slot you're running now.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

acwcanada

Mar 19, 2016
Google Pixel 8
I'm trying to answer on mobile, so it's tough for me because most detailed support I give I do from the computer but I can't right now.

Check out the OP and last few pages of the thread on my signature below (use desktop mode in a mobile browser if necessary) for more information about flashing to both slots.

Look at it this way. Normally you only flash the full factory image once (so only to one slot). This time you did it once already, so now you'll have to switch slots and flash it to the other slot.

You could then switch slots again and use the slot you already re-rooted. Both slots have the same exact apps and app data - the second flashed slot just won't have the rooted boot.img that you already have on the slot you're running now.
OK, thanks so much, achieved done that. One more question, how about the future updates? Do we have to do it every month in the future when Google provide the monthly updates?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I think it's most simple to use the Google flash tool. You don't have to wipe anything, just unroot, run the tool, reroot. Not script editing and praying that you didn't screw anything up.
No need to unroot - just run the tool (making sure wipe or force flash all partitions isn't selected), and then reroot.

I like the satisfaction of getting my hands a little dirty, plus the knowledge that if something goes wrong, it's most probably my fault! 😜

I also like to Magisk my own boot.img from the factory image, and if I'm going to download it anyway, I figure might as well flash it. :)

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Thanks in advance!
    Tony
    Hi,

Thanks in advance!
    Tony
    it would be recommended to flash at least the bootloader to both slots, root works perfectly fine
    OK, thanks so much, achieved done that. One more question, how about the future updates? Do we have to do it every month in the future when Google provide the monthly updates?
    No, you only needed to flash to both slots this one time just to make sure both slots were on A13.
    Or can you flash it to -all slots at the same time?
    Yes, you can.
    If I have to flash to both slots with the factory image, do I also have to flash to both slots with the updated Magisk file as well?
    Not really. Just do it on the slot you end up running. The slot you won't be running won't have root, but that's okay. You'll likely never actually use the other slot, and if by some rare chance you do, it's an easy thing to flash the Magisk'd stock boot.img to it at that time.