Question US S21U Dual Sim

Search This thread

Action123

Nov 19, 2010
Denver area
After getting two different answers from Samsung support in phone calls, they verified via Twitter message to me that the US (snapdragon) models DO NOT support dual SIM.
Apparently our eSIM is activated on the Ultra (maybe other S21-series devices as well?) but the US software won’t allow for both the nano SIM slot and the eSIM to be used at the same time.

This is really unfortunate as I’m coming back from an iPhone which I switched to solely for DSDS functionality, but I can’t stand iOS anymore.

With it likely being a software difference between the US market and international devices, does anyone here see a path forward to removing the limitation somehow?

EDIT 1/23: read conversation below. The models shipped for US market media review so far have eSIM disabled, this is contradicting the FAQ on Samsung’s website as well as communication with various support teams. If you’re looking for eSIM, continue your search elsewhere for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpore14

aroy97

Feb 3, 2015
In highly doubtful the US S21 will support eSim out of the box. I have the S20 Ultra and we were also told it would have eSim, but it will be enabled in a future software update. Almost 1 year later and still nothing.

Honestly a joke considering both Google and Apple have it working for many of their devices by now. Don't understand what the problem is

Action123

Nov 19, 2010
Denver area
In highly doubtful the US S21 will support eSim out of the box. I have the S20 Ultra and we were also told it would have eSim, but it will be enabled in a future software update. Almost 1 year later and still nothing.

Honestly a joke considering both Google and Apple have it working for many of their devices by now. Don't understand what the problem is

Here’s what they said to me

8784F2B7-76E2-44AD-8DDF-476B0ABB8C87.jpeg

Action123

Nov 19, 2010
Denver area
i asked tmobile anf they said they are single sim. samsung told me the US unlocked is duasl sim, but i dont beliebve it.
I’ve had far too many conversations about it with Samsung reps at this point - different answer each time. I don’t understand why no one knows what’s going on with the new phones as they’re actively selling them

KenSoftTH

Dec 19, 2020
My International version has dual sim + eSIM enabled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210122-020346_Call settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210122-020346_Call settings.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 272

KenSoftTH

Dec 19, 2020
BTW, it is 4G+5G. Still no dual 5G.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-184948_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-184948_Speedtest.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 147

Action123

Nov 19, 2010
Denver area
Ohh really? I didn't know about that. Samsung is really picky when it comes to these kind of features.
Yup. And I’m not sure if we’ll ever find out why. Unfortunately, they’re not picky about what they train their representatives to say about our phones here. I’ve heard them say every possible SIM configuration for the same model number and it seems that no one has a confident answer.

It’s gonna be interesting when we see people unboxing their devices and finding out they were told it has something that it actually doesn’t... It’s the S20 SIM confusion all over again.

KenSoftTH

Dec 19, 2020
Yup. And I’m not sure if we’ll ever find out why. Unfortunately, they’re not picky about what they train their representatives to say about our phones here. I’ve heard them say every possible SIM configuration for the same model number and it seems that no one has a confident answer.

It’s gonna be interesting when we see people unboxing their devices and finding out they were told it has something that it actually doesn’t... It’s the S20 SIM confusion all over again.

I just bought S20 FE earlier this year. They advertised that it has 4x4 LTE MIMO. After unboxing, Turns out it isn't enable for my country. Was pissed off about it. They never give a clear answer on these kinds of stuff.

Action123

Nov 19, 2010
Denver area
I just bought S20 FE earlier this year. They advertised that it has 4x4 LTE MIMO. After unboxing, Turns out it isn't enable for my country. Was pissed off about it. They never give a clear answer on these kinds of stuff.
Legal discussion isn’t loved on XDA, but the way I see it, Samsung is really playing with fire by doing this so much. Especially in the US.

People are becoming much more aware of their tactics surrounding the preorder advertising.

Reactions: KenSoftTH

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
PC Magazine review confirms no eSIM for USA. Samsung disabled it.

We tested the unlocked U model, destined for the US. The U model has a single SIM slot, a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, disabled e-SIM functionality, and all the appropriate bands for US 5G networks, including millimeter-wave.

ny355145

Aug 18, 2011
I'm going to save all my screenshots of their US FAQ page that says the phone has esim and give them hell for it afterwards. Totally ridiculous if they advertise it so publicly and lie to everyone again

Reactions: Action123

faw2816

Oct 26, 2013
I'm going to save all my screenshots of their US FAQ page that says the phone has esim and give them hell for it afterwards. Totally ridiculous if they advertise it so publicly and lie to everyone again
You could even file a chargeback with your credit card for this and put item not as described.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hopefully that representative is right, considering its right smack dab in the middle of US Samsung site stating it has eSim, we'll only know next week
    After getting two different answers from Samsung support in phone calls, they verified via Twitter message to me that the US (snapdragon) models DO NOT support dual SIM.
    Apparently our eSIM is activated on the Ultra (maybe other S21-series devices as well?) but the US software won’t allow for both the nano SIM slot and the eSIM to be used at the same time.

This is really unfortunate as I’m coming back from an iPhone which I switched to solely for DSDS functionality, but I can’t stand iOS anymore.

With it likely being a software difference between the US market and international devices, does anyone here see a path forward to removing the limitation somehow?

EDIT 1/23: read conversation below. The models shipped for US market media review so far have eSIM disabled, this is contradicting the FAQ on Samsung’s website as well as communication with various support teams. If you’re looking for eSIM, continue your search elsewhere for now.
    Legal discussion isn’t loved on XDA, but the way I see it, Samsung is really playing with fire by doing this so much. Especially in the US.

People are becoming much more aware of their tactics surrounding the preorder advertising.