• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

US996-> On AT&T or Verizon

Search This thread

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
I'm considering purchase of a US996. I'm considering this model as I may want to change from AT&T to Verizon. Data from AT&T where I live is VERY slow.

At any rate, I would like to hear from folks with this model on each carrier, and if all seems well for you or not.

Any input appreciated.

Reactions: lingo2012

lingo2012

Oct 21, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I'm considering purchase of a US996. I'm considering this model as I may want to change from AT&T to Verizon. Data from AT&T where I live is VERY slow.

At any rate, I would like to hear from folks with this model on each carrier, and if all seems well for you or not.

Any input appreciated.
Love it on At&t. I live where i only get about 2 bars but i do get 4g lte so its not slow. I havent had any issues at all. Idk about verizon though.

pdtp

Jul 22, 2006

Any input appreciated.

I use it on Verizon, only issue i had was the google messenger app wouldn't send mms's. changed to textra and that sorted it. other wise it's great!

Reactions: ewingr

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
I use it on Verizon using Weta Rom and it's amazing. Everything works.

I now have one on order.

Activation/IEMI setup
Did you have any issues getting Verizon to get the 996 working? I've read about issues with other folks (likely other phones) getting them to recognize / setup the IMEI on their network.

Weta Rom
I've read a lot of the Weta thread. Being totally unfamiliar with the V20, I can't relate to the 'improvments' of the ROM.

Can anyone give me a few points about the benefit of changing to Weta from stock?

PhoneBill

I had no problem getting the nano-SIM card from Verizon. Then the only carrier related problem was getting Advanced Calling to work. The bottom line there was to turn off WiFi when you call Verizon to have AC enabled.

Getting the 996 bootloader unlocked was a real pain for me but I think the problem was PC related. When I finally got it to recognize the phone in adb mode all went well. I would advise to unlock/root right away as the process completely wipes any changes you have made.

My overall experience with the 996 is that it is a fantastic phone that I am very happy with. I thought nothing would be able to top my G3 vs985 but I was wrong. I was worried about the size of the 996 but am totally used to it now. Enjoy yours!

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
I had no problem getting the nano-SIM card from Verizon. Then the only carrier related problem was getting Advanced Calling to work. The bottom line there was to turn off WiFi when you call Verizon to have AC enabled.

Getting the 996 bootloader unlocked was a real pain for me but I think the problem was PC related. When I finally got it to recognize the phone in adb mode all went well. I would advise to unlock/root right away as the process completely wipes any changes you have made.

My overall experience with the 996 is that it is a fantastic phone that I am very happy with. I thought nothing would be able to top my G3 vs985 but I was wrong. I was worried about the size of the 996 but am totally used to it now. Enjoy yours!

I really appreciate your feedback.

I'm wondering one thing related to rooting and warranty. Of course, LG voids warranty if it is unlocked. I see folks posting about restoring to complete stock in case of warranty needs. But, from what I can tell, the only way to unlock the bootloader is via the LG site, and it looks like you have to provide phone info...so they would know you are unlocking the phone. Seems to me it would then be flagged as voided warranty.

Any input on that?

PhoneBill

Since the "dirty" exploits unlock the bootloaders of carrier branded and usually cheaper variants, I assume you bought the US996 for its LG sanctioned unlock ability and were willing to forego any warranty. I advised unlocking right away but if you don't personalize the phone very much at first, you may want to wait a week or so to get by the infant mortality period. I waited a month. My phone had upgraded to US99610f before I unlocked it so that was not a problem.

The LG official unlocking process inserts a nag screen at boot up that warns that the phone cannot be checked for vulnerabilities. I don't believe there is any way to remove this even if you somehow are able to get the phone in otherwise original condition - but I may be wrong. I don't know what the "dirty" exploits cause, if anything non-stock, on boot up. If warranty is important to you, check out the dirtycow exploit to see what you can find out about completely reversing the unlocking process, including any nag screen.

The only things I hope come along in the future for this phone are the Xposed framework and a mod to enable fm radio, assuming all the necessary hardware is present. Then I would have a perfect phone instead of nearly perfect.

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
The main reason I am getting the 996 is so that I can put it on either Verizon OR AT&T if I change my mind on carrier.

I haven't had to use warranty often. I may check into 'insurance'.

RichBordoni

Dec 22, 2012
New York
I thought the v20 had FM, which ones don't?

Well I know the unlocked version doesn't because that's what I have. As for the carrier models, you'll have to check each one individually and make sure. I'm not positive that all of the carrier models have it, I think maybe one (Verizon?) has it disabled. Could definitely be wrong about that though.

Makes literally no sense why they wouldn't include FM on the unlocked version... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any input appreciated.
    Thanks for that reply.

Any input appreciated.

I use it on Verizon, only issue i had was the google messenger app wouldn't send mms's. changed to textra and that sorted it. other wise it's great!
    Love it on At&t. I live where i only get about 2 bars but i do get 4g lte so its not slow. I havent had any issues at all. Idk about verizon though.

My experience has been exactly the same.
    I use it on Verizon using Weta Rom and it's amazing. Everything works.