[US998] Bootloader Unlock Achieved!!!

Search This thread

gwillmer

Aug 20, 2010
So I've been waiting as impatiently as everyone else for the US998 to show up on LG's bootloader unlock list. It still isn't there.... BUT: if you add it there, IT WORKS!

Go to the LG Unlock Bootloader page ( hxxp://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev ), make your account, and get to the unlock form. Enter your IMEI and Device ID as directed.

In Chrome, right-click and inspect the drop down for Phone. I changed LGUS997 to LGUS998 (see picture: hxxps://imgur.com/a/vTJWx ).

Confirm, Agree, then check your email!

REMINDER THAT UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER WIPES YOUR DATA AND VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY

No idea if this would work for any of the carrier models... I kind of doubt it. I'd bet the US998 already has the allowed IMEI range in their backend, but somebody should give it a shot!

Long overdue edit (sorry!): This only works for the open market US998, not the US Cellular US998, the open market V30+, or any other carrier models . Be careful buying used! Also, the hxxps links are because I haven't posted enough to be able to post external links; replace hxxps with https.

Last edited:

crazyut

I tried the same trick in Firefox with my v30+ but it says it does not support unlocking the bootloader. I'll just send mine back. Enough of this BS, LG

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 AM ----------

I tried on both Firefox and Chrome using that trick, it says unfortunately it is not supported. If I say US998U for the v30+ instead, it says 9 more tried then it is locked.

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

I tried in both Firefox and Chrome, using US998 (it says it not supported). If I choose US998U, then it says I have 9 more times. I will be sending this back on Friday.

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

I tried in both Firefox and Chrome for the B&H v30+, using US998 (it says it not supported). If I choose US998U, then it says I have 9 more times. I will be sending this back on Friday.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

I tried in both Firefox and Chrome for B&H v30+, using US998 (it says it not supported). If I choose US998U, then it says I have 9 more times. I will be sending this back on Friday.

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

I tried in both Firefox and Chrome for the B&H v30+, using US998 (it says it not supported). If I choose US998U, then it says I have 9 more times. I will be sending this back on Friday.

So I've been waiting as impatiently as everyone else for the US998 to show up on LG's bootloader unlock list. It still isn't there.... BUT: if you add it there, IT WORKS!

Go to the LG Unlock Bootloader page (hxxp://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev ), make your account, and get to the unlock form. Enter your IMEI and Device ID as directed.

In Chrome, right-click and inspect the drop down for Phone. I changed LGUS997 to LGUS998 (see picture: hxxps://imgur.com/a/vTJWx ).

No idea if this would work for any of the carrier models... I kind of doubt it. I'd bet the US998 already has the allowed IMEI range in their backend, but somebody should give it a shot!

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Go to the LG Unlock Bootloader page (hxxp://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev ), make your account, and get to the unlock form. Enter your IMEI and Device ID as directed.

So they did listen to all my tweets! :cool:

HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN ACTIVE AND WE DIDN'T KNOW? Did they basically wait six weeks after the V30 was released and didn't announce it?

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah. With all of the action leading up to this point, I'm expecting more of a reaction. Super curious to see how this pans out.
I've got the unlock code for one of my V30, but I'll mess with it this weekend. I'll also get the unlock code for the other V30. Hope the V30+ is allowed soon.

Sent from my official carrier unlocked LG V30+ US998

N4cr2k

Jun 9, 2015
It seems that renaming the drop down item probably isn't necessary? Has anyone tried it by just selecting LGUS997 and using their IMEI and Device ID?

kanauru

Mar 26, 2011
San Francisco
It seems that renaming the drop down item probably isn't necessary? Has anyone tried it by just selecting LGUS997 and using their IMEI and Device ID?

That is an interesting point.
I told my friend who is a coder about this and he said that the text shouldn't actually matter, at least normally.
So it's possible as long as you select LGUS997 it'll work ( or possibly any other option ).

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
About ready to unlock mine, and as with previous rooted phones I never had any DRM issues. Wondering if streaming apps like Spotify will still work properly?

2. Unlocking the phone will disable certain functions of your phone.
When unlocking the bootloader, the DRM protection of your phone will become untrusted.
Some applications which require DRM protection may not work anymore or block certain functions due to this untrusted DRM.
Common examples are applications which offer download/streaming of paid multimedia content like music and movies.

Septfox

Nov 2, 2013
Hope the V30+ is allowed soon.
I take it that the system returned a "model not supported blah blah blah" message?

Maybe that's why they haven't announced unlock availability; they just haven't gotten around to whitelisting the V30+, and are planning to do them both at once. You know, because editing the unlock info page is hard, wouldn't want to do it twice :rolleyes:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I take it that the system returned a "model not supported blah blah blah" message?

Maybe that's why they haven't announced unlock availability; they just haven't gotten around to whitelisting the V30+, and are planning to do them both at once. You know, because editing the unlock info page is hard, wouldn't want to do it twice :rolleyes:
Right. Plus they gotta wait for six weeks to pass after release date for the V30+ or whatever.

Can't do it immediately on release. They have to AGE the phone properly, like fine wine.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvindgr

Tinkerer_

Aug 24, 2015
It does. Someone has already installed TWRP.

Someone has already installed TWRP on US998?

Before someone lights up their flamethrower, note that LG has models with bootloader unlock available but ADB commands not supported. So just because e.g. TWRP has been installed on some V30 model (H930?) does not mean it will work on US998 open market version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go to the LG Unlock Bootloader page ( hxxp://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev ), make your account, and get to the unlock form. Enter your IMEI and Device ID as directed.

Long overdue edit (sorry!): This only works for the open market US998, not the US Cellular US998, the open market V30+, or any other carrier models . Be careful buying used! Also, the hxxps links are because I haven't posted enough to be able to post external links; replace hxxps with https.
    It worked for the K7 (though regrettably, it's the MetroPCS variant). I was unaware of this information. That truly sucks. That said, why do you detest OnePlus and Apple?

Because Apple is a liar and tech laggard -- yet charges premium price, and their iSheep do nothing to hold their feet to the fire. They were the last of top tier smartphone makers to even go to 720p, the last to go to 1080p. They've still NEVER made a phone with QHD (1440p). They were the last to adopt Qi wireless, five years after Android phones started using Qi wireless. They are not the leaders in ANYTHING and lie about everything. They are scammers.

Steve Jobs was an admitted narcissistic, pathological liar and thief.

* Jobs cheated his good friend and business partner Woz (co-founder of Apple) out of most of the money paid them on their first contract together. He admitted that to Woz years later. It's in Woz' autobiography. Woz only got $350, and Jobs took the remainder of the $5,000. He told Woz the client only paid them $700, so there's half. Liar and thief, when Woz stayed up four days straight with no sleep to finish the work on time.

* Jobs denied paternity to his first child (this was before DNA testing), forcing the mother of his daughter (high school sweetheart/early Apple employee/former live in girlfriend) to go on welfare and food stamps -- while Jobs was a multi-millionaire. He lied under oath, saying the child couldn't be his as he was sterile. Later a DNA test proved the truth.

Just two examples, I could give lots more. Apple's business culture for years was based on this credo and they treat their customers the same way Steve Jobs treated his "friends" and the mother of his child...

I'll give you two two business examples, both concerning the iPhone 4, as they exemplify his as the company's attitude best:

1) The whole "Retina Display" was a scam he made up.
    Steve Jobs’ exact quote was “It turns out there’s a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch, that when you hold something around to 10 to 12 inches away from your eyes, is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels.”

Do you know why he said this? Because he had a phone to sell with just over 300 ppi. It was NOT based on science in any way. But the media lapdogs -- except for one -- ate it up and wanted to kiss his butt. Because he wouldn't let them touch Apple equipment if they wrote anything bad about him or Apple.

Wired magazine was the only one with balls enough to set the record straight:

IPHONE 4'S 'RETINA' DISPLAY CLAIMS ARE FALSE MARKETING
    https://www.wired.com/2010/06/iphone-4-retina/

The real number according to one expert, who possesses a Ph.D. in theoretical physics from Princeton and has been studying displays for 20 years, closer to 500 ppi. According to more recent studies, it's at least 573 pixels per inch for what Jobs described. Almost 600 points, TWICE what Jobs said.

Furthermore, REAL optical scientific studies (not Jobs' bullsh***) easily show people can even see the difference between 508 PPI and 1016 PPI displays.

But as a result of Jobs' lies back then, I still see so many comments to this day in resolution display threads, "What does it matter? You can't see over 300 ppi any way." YES, you can. Jobs lies have allowed Apple and even OnePlus to NOT go to QHD displays because they falsely claim you can't see a difference. I know I CAN see a clear difference in 1080p and 1440p.

All top tier Androids have shipped with at least QHD (1440p) since end of 2014. But Apple resisted because they couldn't refute their own CEO's lies. If you don't need over 300 ppi (according to Jobs), then why ship a device with more than that? Problem was, that was a marketing lie.

2) Antenna-Gate. Grip of Death.

Also involved the iPhone 4. Apple stupidly designed an external metal band antenna with no insulation. Then lied about it. All the radio transmission experts I read said any rookie electronics engineer should know better than that.

139.jpg

When you held the phone in any kind of normal manner -- like a phone -- your hand bridged the carrier antenna with the wi-fi antenna and the call dropped. Thus the Grip of Death.

Problem was besides bad, incompetent antenna design, they TESTED all their iPhone 4 prototypes with fake iPhone 3 enclosure/case on them -- so they LOOKED like iPhone 3 to people in the street or restaurants where engineers would go. Top secret, you know? But that plastic camouflage provided the necessary insulation for the antenna. Insiders say they didn't know they had a problem until they used the phone without the fake enclosure. People asked, "How could they test this for MONTHS and not realize they had screwed up?" That's how. Another screw up.

Apple never admitted exactly whenthey realized they had a problem, but somebody knew. And Apple released it anyway.

I strongly suspect Jobs knew about this before the phone was released, because in all the stage demos he held the iPhone 4 in a very strange way...

senza-titolo-1_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

18mrxbaf94n18jpg.jpg

Then Apple lied and lied and lied about it. Saying other phones had reception problems too, blah blah blah -- without ever admitting they messed up big time, or ever recalling ALL those millions of phones to fix them.

Steve Jobs even told one user via email who complained about signal loss when he held his phone: "Don't hold it like that." (Don't hold it like a regular phone? So it's the users' fault? Not your fault in any way?)

7u2pQiO.jpg

Finally with the FTC threatening to get involved and multiple lawsuits, Apple agreed to give out $30 iPhone bumper cases to everyone for several months -- to provide the antenna insulation they should have designed into phone. (FIRST, Apple had said people should BUY those bumper cases themselves, if they wanted to complain about the phone.) But after that time period of free cases was over, if you bought the iPhone 4, then you were just knowingly buying a badly designed phone. No free bumper cases for you.

Of course, a year later iPhone 4S fixed the antenna problem, but Apple nor Jobs ever admitted fault or apologized for the iPhone 4 antenna fiasco.

I won't even mention idiotic stuff like removing ports, forcing people to use DONGLES to add back to necessary functionality they removed.

9hS9Sq3_d.jpg

finally-im-ready-for-my-new-iphone-7-ive-never-3683559.png

How about present day? Same old stuff...

3) Most recently, slowing down phones and not telling people

Apples iPhone code is bad, so their older phones won't work well with it. (They don't test their software on their own phones? They don't keep a supply of phones with normally aged batteries?) So, they had to purposefully slow down older iPhones so the battery load wouldn't spike. REPLACING the battery would have solved the problem, and they did that initially for a few people, but that doesn't sell new phones does it?

Whereas slowing ALL older iPhones down when new code is released not only prevented "battery" issues, but frustrated people so that they felt they had to go buy a NEW iPhone. So, Apple didn't have to FIX their crappy code AND they sold tons of new phones.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-battery-apology-could-change-everything-2017-12

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/12/technology/apple-iphone-slow-battery-lawsuit/index.html

There were rumors for years Apple was doing this and they denied it for years. Then a a developer provided PROOF and Apple had to admit it. Very much like Volkswagen and those diesel engines! A lot of trickery going on.

Basically, you can't trust them.

_______

OnePlus is the same way.

Yet OnePlus motto is "NEVER SETTLE" ? They are all hype, with little substance. Their CEO makes it clear they are following the Apple method; "We want to be the Apple of the Android world" -- and it shows.

When OnePlus ever ships a true top tier phone, please let me know. It will have QHD display, Qi wireless charging, IP68 dust/water resistance (or any kind of IP rating, which became default among REAL premium phones in late 2016/early 2017)... Heck, laggard Apple EVEN now has Qi and IP67. OnePlus doesn't know how, apparently.

Top-tier Android OEMs have long made phones with much better specs/features than Apple iPhones. And OnePlus can't even do that?
    I told my friend who is a coder about this and he said that the text shouldn't actually matter, at least normally.
    So it's possible as long as you select LGUS997 it'll work ( or possibly any other option ).

When I leave the model drop down on LGUS997 and use my US998 IMEI and Device ID, the popup that keeps it from going forward says that "Your device (LGUS998) does not support unlocking the bootloader....". I actually found this by poking around in the javascript on the page that runs the form, and it actually submits the text of the drop down for the model as part of the form. Your friend is right that it shouldn't matter, because obviously LG can tell the model from the IMEI, but apparently it does.

Got the unlock code/bin for one of my V30, but LG says the V30+ is not (yet?) eligible.
    Related to the above: what does the form respond with when you put in the IMEI and Device ID for the V30+ without changing the model? It seems like using a V30+ IMEI and Device ID will actually show what model it's expecting in the popup. It may or may not work using whatever it responds with, but at least we'll know what model it's expecting.

Can anyone confirm if music streaming and DRM would be an issue? I would not think it would but want to make sure.

Netflix and Spotify work fine for me. Every bootloader unlock I've ever done had that warning, but I've never had an issue.

So, I didn't flash TWRP just yet because I wasn't sure about potential issues with differences between the H930 and US998, though it sounds like there aren't any obvious issues. My understanding is that it does require a userdata wipe in order to disable encryption so that /data can be writeable from recovery?

Also, Magisk actually installed without needing TWRP (using the second method in the main Magisk post at https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445), which means root (and Xposed!). In case anyone wants to go this route, I extracted the required bootloader image from the 10c US998 kdz, patched it with Magisk installer, then flashed it with "fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img" (unpatched and patched boot.img both linked below). Now that I have Titanium Backup again (LG Bridge was so slow to restore), I'll probably flash TWRP tomorrow.

Stock US998 10c boot.img: https://www.dropbox.com/s/25l2hcpa7528dse/boot.img?dl=0
    Magisk patched boot.img (you'll still need Magisk installer to do anything besides root though): https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xtxjiy1t8hbs7a/patched_boot.img?dl=0
    The bootloader unlock hack is working again now. Just did mine.

--->
    I've been having this exact same issue accessing fastboot

No matter what I do it will not allow me to enter fastboot and get my Device ID and it's driving me nuts. I've searched through the forum and all I can seem to find is everyone else having no issue retrieving theirs the way that is outlined on the LG site, except the post above by RP, who seems to be having the exact same issue.

The only response I saw to his post was someone saying to check the device manager on your computer to ensure it's properly connected, which as far as I can tell mine is all good on my end since everything else I do seems to work (adb commands, Substratum/Andromeda connection, backups etc) I'v even tried everything on a Mac and a PC to send the commands to my V30, just in case, and it still just reboots.

I've tried rebooting through the reboot fastboot commands, starting the phone in recovery mode and in download mode, and when i send the adb command to get the device ID, I get back the "waiting for any device" message.

Has anyone had this issue and figured out what the problem is and hopefully a work around?
    You don't NEED that anymore.

See the WTF BOOTLOADER Unlock and Root thread. You can unlock your bootloader, install TWRP and root without any permission needed from LG whatsoever.

Follow the instructions in post #193.

WTF...!!! Bootloader Unlock, TWRP and Root for V30/V3o+/V30S (Now With Clear Instructions)
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76584629&postcount=193
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone