[US998] TWRP unofficial alpha [Feb.17.2018]

Search This thread

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
TWRP for US998 (not US-Cellular)

I have simply used existing sources from @jcadduono so thanks to him for the h930 version that simply works on our US998 devices.

All i have done here is changed props to read us998 instead of h930, so asserts should work and labeling on a pc will be correct etc. I don't intend to maintain or build any other versions.

The purpose of this modified twrp and this thread is to provide less confusion for new users of the US998 and for what version of twrp to flash, as the h930 thread appears to be abandoned.

Flashing instructions

1. Unlock your bootloader
2. Fastboot flash the twrp img onto your device - (fastboot flash recovery twrp_us998.img)
Don't let the device boot into system or you will need to fastboot flash again, you need to do the button combo to get into recovery quickly before it automatically boots.
3. Flash a root method or a dm-verity disabler zip.
4. You will probably need to format your data partition before it will boot into system. Because of encryption.

DOWNLOAD - twrp_us998.img

This is built using @jcadduono sources from the H930 version of TWRP found here
Kernel - https://github.com/jcadduono/android_kernel_lge_msm8998/commits/twrp-7.1 and
Device treer - https://github.com/jcadduono/android_device_lge_h930

--->

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
PayPal donation made for US998 TWRP and the WETA ROM. Thank you.

Question: just like the H930 TWRP worked for bootloader unlocked US998 V30, would this TWRP also work for bootloader unlocked H930/H930G or ANY OTHER LG V30/V30+ variants if they ever got bootloader unlock and full flash commands?

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
PayPal donation made for US998 TWRP and the WETA ROM. Thank you.

Question: just like the H930 TWRP worked for bootloader unlocked US998 V30, would this TWRP also work for bootloader unlocked H930/H930G or ANY OTHER LG V30/V30+ variants if they ever got bootloader unlock and full flash commands?
This uses the same sources as h930 so will work for both, though is simply set up for us998. I didn't change anything except device fingerprints

[emoji450]--->

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
This uses the same sources as h930 so will work for both, though is simply set up for us998. I didn't change anything except device fingerprints

[emoji450]--->

OK, just asking for future. Especially if you update this TWRP and the other one is never updated... Or if another LG V30/V30+ variant gets bootloader unlock and full flash commands through exploit.

I remember when Sunshine team unlocked the bootloader to Droid Turbo XT1254 in November 2015, one of the Motorola Quark variants. One of the Sunshine devs asked "Who can quickly build me a TWRP to work with this?" NO NEED. Quark already had OFFICIAL TWRP! And yes, it worked just fine on the Droid Turbo. Problem was, the XDA mods had split the Quark forums just two months prior (due to locked down Droid Turbo owner complaints; they were tired of seeing custom ROMs, kernels, etc.) -- so all the dev work for the OTHER bootloader unlocked Quarks (XT1225, XT1250) had disappeared, moved to a different location. Very ironic. To this day, Droid Turbo owners mostly have to go over to the Moto Maxx/Moto Turbo forum to get custom ROMs which are fully compatible with their phones. It's just all the dev work is posted over there, because they didn't want to see any dev work -- until their bootloader got unlocked, of course. :p

So, I'm glad all the LG V30/V30+ are together.

Last edited:

foamerman

Sep 1, 2010
B-town
Flashing instructions

2. Fastboot flash the twrp img onto your device - (fastboot flash recovery twrp_us998.img)
Don't let the device boot into system or you will need to fastboot flash again, you need to do the button combo to get into recovery quickly before it automatically boots.
4. You will probably need to format your data partition before it will boot into system. Because of encryption.

Hey Sorry about this but not to be a real dummy but can you tell me/us I know we are still in fastboot mood can you tell us what the button combo is to get back into recovery because I'm not real sure about it

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Flashing instructions

Hey Sorry about this but not to be a real dummy but can you tell me/us I know we are still in fastboot mood can you tell us what the button combo is to get back into recovery because I'm not real sure about it
Oh yeah, simply holding power and volume down simultaneously, as soon as you see the LG logo, let go of power button for a brief moment and re-press it until you see twrp boot up.

[emoji450]--->

Moriatier

Dec 27, 2017
Just did a system backup but failed. chose External Sdcard since it could not mount internal memory. It ran well when backuping system but when the process of creating system image lasted For some time, the mission was automatically aborted. could not figure out why.

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Just did a system backup but failed. chose External Sdcard since it could not mount internal memory. It ran well when backuping system but when the process of creating system image lasted For some time, the mission was automatically aborted. could not figure out why.

I've been doing backups to internal since day one. Never tried an external card backup. I can't help much as i simply used the source code from the h930 twrp, and never intended to fix or update anything. It was a confusion eliminating build so us998 users knew what to flash

Reactions: ChazzMatt

VR32

Jan 29, 2012
so is there any reason i should update this over the h930 version?

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
HTC Desire HD
OnePlus 2

You cant mount your internal memory because its encrypted with LGs own encryption, and TWRP cant decrypt that.
Solution would be: format internal data, flash the no-verity-opt-encrpyt zip (other twrp thread has a link), and start from new
And the system image backup isnt really needed, except you want to flash it via fastboot (i leave that out always)

Shadicbypass

Jun 11, 2014
Conway
can i ask you to upload to google drive or something ebcause androidfilehost seems to be slow compared to downloading from the likes of mega or google drive

glhelinski

Oct 11, 2010
Flint MI
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi,
Looking for some help getting twrp running. Bootloader is confirmed unlocked.

After the fastboot flash command, it successfully writes twrp.
Then i hold power and volume down, when i see the LG logo, i briefly let up on power and hold it again.
Then instead of seeing twrp, I see the "factory data reset" screen (and the choices are no or yes)

Then it doesn't seem to matter what i choose, I cannot seem to make it into twrp.

can anyone see what I'm doing wrong here?
Thanks

Moriatier

Dec 27, 2017
Hi,

Then i hold power and volume down, when i see the LG logo, i briefly let up on power and hold it again.
Then instead of seeing twrp, I see the "factory data reset" screen (and the choices are no or yes)

Then it doesn't seem to matter what i choose, I cannot seem to make it into twrp.

Thanks
you should have chosen yes

Reactions: glhelinski

glhelinski

Oct 11, 2010
Flint MI
OnePlus 8 Pro
Thanks for the help!! I seem to have another issue. I got past the issue above, then twrp asked for a password/pin (which i removed before I started this whole thing.)

In twrp, i flashed magisk 16, the dm-verity zip and rctd disabler. Now when I reboot, it looks like android is starting but it tells me "Encryption unsuccessful. The password you entered is corrupt but unfortunately your data is corrupt. To resume using your phone, you need to perform a factory reset. When you set up your phone after the reset, you'll have an opportunity to restore any data that was backed up to your Google account"

And there is a "Reset Phone" button....which I click but it just goes back to TWRP and now i'm stuck.

This may not be the correct place to post for help but can anyone help please?
Thanks

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks for the help!! I seem to have another issue. I got past the issue above, then twrp asked for a password/pin (which i removed before I started this whole thing.)

In twrp, i flashed magisk 16, the dm-verity zip and rctd disabler. Now when I reboot, it looks like android is starting but it tells me "Encryption unsuccessful. The password you entered is corrupt but unfortunately your data is corrupt. To resume using your phone, you need to perform a factory reset. When you set up your phone after the reset, you'll have an opportunity to restore any data that was backed up to your Google account"

And there is a "Reset Phone" button....which I click but it just goes back to TWRP and now i'm stuck.

This may not be the correct place to post for help but can anyone help please?
Thanks

In TWRP you need to reformat your partition, not just "wipe". See point #7. Even though they say "wipe", they also admit it's reformat data. And then you have all the stuff you need on your microSD card and can pull from that. (Very important!)

[GUIDE][LGV30]Unlocking and Rooting - TWRP/Magisk Step-by-Step
https://xdaforums.com/lg-v30/help/unlocking-rooting-twrp-magisk-step-step-t3745006

Last edited:
Reactions: glhelinski

glhelinski

Oct 11, 2010
Flint MI
OnePlus 8 Pro
In TWRP you need to reformat your partition, not just "wipe". See point #7. Even though they say "wipe", they also admit it's reformat data. And then you have all the stuff you need on your microSD card and can pull from that. (Very important!)

[GUIDE][LGV30]Unlocking and Rooting - TWRP/Magisk Step-by-Step
https://xdaforums.com/lg-v30/help/unlocking-rooting-twrp-magisk-step-step-t3745006
thanks. that worked for me. in somewhat of a panic i violated the rule of not searching :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP for US998 (not US-Cellular)

I have simply used existing sources from @jcadduono so thanks to him for the h930 version that simply works on our US998 devices.

All i have done here is changed props to read us998 instead of h930, so asserts should work and labeling on a pc will be correct etc. I don't intend to maintain or build any other versions.

The purpose of this modified twrp and this thread is to provide less confusion for new users of the US998 and for what version of twrp to flash, as the h930 thread appears to be abandoned.

Flashing instructions

DOWNLOAD - twrp_us998.img

This is built using @jcadduono sources from the H930 version of TWRP found here
    Kernel - https://github.com/jcadduono/android_kernel_lge_msm8998/commits/twrp-7.1 and
    Device treer - https://github.com/jcadduono/android_device_lge_h930

--->
    Flashing instructions

Oh yeah, simply holding power and volume down simultaneously, as soon as you see the LG logo, let go of power button for a brief moment and re-press it until you see twrp boot up.

[emoji450]--->

[emoji450]--->

Thank you Sir I"m new to the LG phone didn't know how to do it.

I've been doing backups to internal since day one. Never tried an external card backup. I can't help much as i simply used the source code from the h930 twrp, and never intended to fix or update anything. It was a confusion eliminating build so us998 users knew what to flash
    Hi,

Thanks
    you should have chosen yes