• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

USA... Where to buy?

Search This thread

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
in the USA we barely have decent 4G LTE speeds and coverage and even thats taken carriers forever. I bet it takes a very long time to see widespread reliable 5G. Probably not in the Mix 3's(4G or 5G) lifetime.

i killed tupac

Jun 15, 2010
If you don't care for 5g then 4g one will be fine. It's most likely going to be more expensive.

You won't notice much difference with the 855 over the 845 in day to day use.

You'll probably only see a difference in those pointless antutu, geek bench scores etc.

5g here is bullshit anyways. ATT flashed their phones to change it so 4g now says 5g. But its just 5g.

jcsww

For the USA, I would say band 71 is something I would like to see added to the next model. It's still essentially 4G but T-Mobile's 600MHz spectrum is pretty darn quick on my Note 9 and S9 Plus. I would gladly cave and get the Mi Mix 3, not waiting for the 3s, if they added band 71 to the global ROM radio firmware. Band 66 would be nice also, but that might already be there, being an extension of band 4, but I am not sure.

Reactions: JedixJarf

i killed tupac

Jun 15, 2010
For the USA, I would say band 71 is something I would like to see added to the next model. It's still essentially 4G but T-Mobile's 600MHz spectrum is pretty darn quick on my Note 9 and S9 Plus. I would gladly cave and get the Mi Mix 3, not waiting for the 3s, if they added band 71 to the global ROM radio firmware. Band 66 would be nice also, but that might already be there, being an extension of band 4, but I am not sure.

I have T Mobile and hit 94mbps on my Mix3? Maybe its different in some areas

jamesfitzes

Feb 5, 2019
What do you think of lemovo z5 pro ? I was talking to a friend who is really into the tech/mobile phone game and he told me that snapdragon 710 is pretty good for most of the apps a normal user uses, and suggested I might just buy the Lenovo z5 pro. He told me to think of the Snapdragon 845/855 as that extremely powerful laptop that would be suited to a hardcore or heavy app usage guy. If you are using the phone for the “basic” apps and doing very little multitasking he suggested I buy the Lenovo z5 pro. 845/855 processor would be an overkill he told me if I am only using my phone for e-mails, chrome and the social media apps. I never play games or watch Netflix on the phone or never use any of those hardcore apps. Do you guys think Lenovo z5 pro would be a better buy in my case? I would like to have a bezel-less phone and be able to root. From my research, it’s only the mi mix 3 and Lenovo z5 pro that can be rooted and have the most screen to body ratio. I know that Lenovo kinda sucks when it comes to updates, but if I’m rooted I think I can work around that…

I have always used Samsung phones but looking at the prices of the new s10 line, that’s just too expensive, plus that hole-punch camera is not appealing to me at all. Mi mix 3 is not too crazy priced, but if I buy the z5 pro, that still saves about $150+, which is not bad if I’m just going to use the phone for light to moderate activity…

Any thoughts? Having a hard time deciding between these 2 phones.

Rockmadeofrock

Apr 14, 2016
i bought mine from "nevermsrp" on eBay. For 12 bucks I got it overnighted. It is the correct Global ROM and works great.

It's the original global ROM, not opened and flashed with the global ROM before selling? I'm looking to buy from eBay (nevermsrp or techno.trading.house are the two sellers I'm looking at) and want to be sure it's the true global version. I saw a bunch of posts that AliExpress and Gearbest sellers often buy the cheaper Chinese models and then unlock the bootloaders and flash the global ROM, then sell them as the global version. This wouldn't be a huge issue but after reading the custom ROM and root guides, it looks like there are bootloop issues occurring when using one that originated on the chinese ROM and was later switched to the global ROM.

jcsww

It's the original global ROM, not opened and flashed with the global ROM before selling? I'm looking to buy from eBay (nevermsrp or techno.trading.house are the two sellers I'm looking at) and want to be sure it's the true global version. I saw a bunch of posts that AliExpress and Gearbest sellers often buy the cheaper Chinese models and then unlock the bootloaders and flash the global ROM, then sell them as the global version. This wouldn't be a huge issue but after reading the custom ROM and root guides, it looks like there are bootloop issues occurring when using one that originated on the chinese ROM and was later switched to the global ROM.

The bootloop issues are only if you try to relock the bootloader once you have flashed to a different region ROM. If you requested the unlock for the bootloader, it is an easy enough fix by flashing back to the original firmware.

Stock Global ROM Mi Mix 3's are all 6GB/128GB. If you see an 8GB or 10GB of RAM Global version, you can guarantee that it has been flashed from the Chinese ROM.

invisiblewave

Sep 17, 2009
What do you think of lemovo z5 pro ? I was talking to a friend who is really into the tech/mobile phone game and he told me that snapdragon 710 is pretty good for most of the apps a normal user uses, and suggested I might just buy the Lenovo z5 pro. He told me to think of the Snapdragon 845/855 as that extremely powerful laptop that would be suited to a hardcore or heavy app usage guy. If you are using the phone for the “basic” apps and doing very little multitasking he suggested I buy the Lenovo z5 pro. 845/855 processor would be an overkill he told me if I am only using my phone for e-mails, chrome and the social media apps. I never play games or watch Netflix on the phone or never use any of those hardcore apps. Do you guys think Lenovo z5 pro would be a better buy in my case? I would like to have a bezel-less phone and be able to root. From my research, it’s only the mi mix 3 and Lenovo z5 pro that can be rooted and have the most screen to body ratio. I know that Lenovo kinda sucks when it comes to updates, but if I’m rooted I think I can work around that…

I have always used Samsung phones but looking at the prices of the new s10 line, that’s just too expensive, plus that hole-punch camera is not appealing to me at all. Mi mix 3 is not too crazy priced, but if I buy the z5 pro, that still saves about $150+, which is not bad if I’m just going to use the phone for light to moderate activity…

Any thoughts? Having a hard time deciding between these 2 phones.

Might not be a bad option if it's that much cheaper. For me, RAM was a more important consideration than processor speed, almost every app/website now has video which eats memory and compromises the multitasking abilities of the system. There are a bunch of other considerations that I'd put ahead of the 845/710 choice, like battery, RAM, storage (the 8/256 option was the deal-maker for me, along with price). Being able to modify the software was also a big deciding factor for me, otherwise I would probably have forked out for a Mate 20 Pro, if you want to future-proof your phone there's no more important thing than having custom roms to choose from, hence I kept my GS5 running for so long. In short, if everything else works for you on the Lenovo, the processor probably isn't a big deal. That said, the Mi Mix 3 is a very impressive piece of hardware, it has far exceeded my expectations.

Rockmadeofrock

Apr 14, 2016
The bootloop issues are only if you try to relock the bootloader once you have flashed to a different region ROM. If you requested the unlock for the bootloader, it is an easy enough fix by flashing back to the original firmware.

Stock Global ROM Mi Mix 3's are all 6GB/128GB. If you see an 8GB or 10GB of RAM Global version, you can guarantee that it has been flashed from the Chinese ROM.

Cool thanks for the clarification!

oriveradel

Sep 29, 2007
My experience, do not buy AliExpress, gearbest had a better price, no DHL remote location scam from AliExpress, delivered to Canada in 3 days!

i killed tupac

Jun 15, 2010

Correct, untampered with Global ROM, I was unable to unlock the bootloader the second I got it

Also for the seller never-msrp, I bought an original Mi Mix from them a few years ago and had problems with it, it bootlooped when I tried to unlock it. They gave me 100% refund with no questions asked.

jamesfitzes

Feb 5, 2019
So I'm following the MWC announcements and it looks like the 5G capable phones all have a big battery- all of them are around the 4000 mah mark, some even more. I just saw that the 5G version of the mi mix 3 has a 3800 mah battery. LG has even a cooling system to help with that. Maybe 5g is bad news for now at least… But that’s a nice upgrade from 3200 of the 4g version. What I’m thinking is : these announced 5g phones will probably drain the battery a lot since they have the 5g modem inside but I was wondering if you never use 5g will the battery still drain? Because the battery upgrade and the Snapdragon 855 of the Mi mix 3 are tempting for me to wait and just buy the one with the 855 processor. But something tells me that it won’t be as power efficient as the current 4g version. Any thoughts on that?

jcsww

So I'm following the MWC announcements and it looks like the 5G capable phones all have a big battery- all of them are around the 4000 mah mark, some even more. I just saw that the 5G version of the mi mix 3 has a 3800 mah battery. LG has even a cooling system to help with that. Maybe 5g is bad news for now at least… But that’s a nice upgrade from 3200 of the 4g version. What I’m thinking is : these announced 5g phones will probably drain the battery a lot since they have the 5g modem inside but I was wondering if you never use 5g will the battery still drain? Because the battery upgrade and the Snapdragon 855 of the Mi mix 3 are tempting for me to wait and just buy the one with the 855 processor. But something tells me that it won’t be as power efficient as the current 4g version. Any thoughts on that?

I doubt the 5G modem is a separate independent modem. Even if not in use, it will still be waiting to be used via a handoff, so I would assume it will still cause some battery drain.

The 855 might sound a lot better on paper, but real world use will differ based on user usage. My LG V30 with 4GB of RAM and a SnapDrahon 835 is just as fast as my Note 9 with 6GB of RAM and a SnapDragon 845 and is jist as fast as my Mi Mix 3 with 8GB of RAM. Even going back to my Nexus 6P with 3GB of RAM with the SnapDragon 810, it is barely noticeably slower than the rest of my phones. Daily use for me is moderate video watching, moderate web surfing, hundreds of texts, a little MineSweeper here and there, and a couple of dozen 10 or so minute calls.

Top Liked Posts