usage data access

Search This thread

etofi

Jan 4, 2014
Hi,

is it possible to grant "usage data access" to a app?
I can't find it in the settings but I need it for two apps.

Thanks.

Reactions: bcampa
I will be writing a thread sometime in the next day or so that involves a total reinstallation of the settings on the rooted HD 10 that unlocks that setting amongst others Amazon has locked us out of. If you have an HD 8, download activity launcher from the Play Store open it then tap on the box in the upper left, and tap on all activities, scroll down to settings and tap on that and then tap on apps with usage access.

bcampa

Dec 13, 2011
Grab Activity Launcher from the play store and run it. Select 'all activities' and wait for the list to populate. Scroll down and select 'Settings'. In the submenu that opens, scroll down to 'Apps with Usage Access.' From there you can grant / deny this permission to all apps that have requested it.

Worked! Thanks!

Reactions: MaiHai

druekberg

Jan 13, 2019
No go

Activity launcher doesn't work on my Kindle Fire 8. Crashes at 149 every time, even after hard reset.

Trying to find out why my battery drains so fast, and trying to give permission to AccuBattery to track apps.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Activity launcher doesn't work on my Kindle Fire 8. Crashes at 149 every time, even after hard reset.

Trying to find out why my battery drains so fast, and trying to give permission to AccuBattery to track apps.
Try the free version GSAM which is available in the Amazon and Google App stores or via your favorite trusted app download site. You'll need to grant permissions via ADB to gather application specific data. Fortunately, the app guides you through this process which is relatively painless if familiar with ADB and tethered operations. Once complete GSAM runs circles around AccuBattery for those interested in getting to root cause ... although you may not be able to address the culprit(s) on an unrooted device. Another excellent choice: BBS (Better Battery Stats). Good luck.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Alternatively, try Activity Manager which works fine on my 8th gen HD 8.

AskKim

Oct 3, 2012
Thank you!

Grab Activity Launcher from the play store and run it. Select 'all activities' and wait for the list to populate. Scroll down and select 'Settings'. In the submenu that opens, scroll down to 'Apps with Usage Access.' From there you can grant / deny this permission to all apps that have requested it.

That was exactly the info I needed for my Kindle Fire 7th Gen. Thank you!

That was exactly the info I needed for my Kindle Fire 7th Gen. Thank you!

also worth noting I don't believe you need root access to Grant the packages that need this permission using adb.

Code:
adb shell pm grant com.package.name android.permission.PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS
Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

DawnR88

Dec 6, 2019
Sometimes I really thank god for smart people. I purchased a cheap tablet last month from the local walmart just for playing easy games like bingo and slots on but every time I would try and play a game it kept freezing up. And then I just decided to use it only for reading ebooks and then I was going back to using my fire tablet to play the games. I like apps that connect with the games I already enjoy playing and collect free giftcards from them apps. I play them all the time on my cellphone but then the battery runs dead way to fast with all the games that I play. So I just decided to use a giftcard winning app on my fire tablet and I could not use it because I could not give it permission to use the tablets "Usage Data Access" so I just looked online and found this forum. And fixed the problem in less then 2 minutes.

So all in all I would have never figured out how to fix this problem on my own thank you.

pbcsd

Sep 5, 2017
I also have the 7th Gen HD 8, but when I download Activity Launcher and run it, it loads up all 225 apps. But there is no settings submenu anywhere?

---------- Post added at 04:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

ah...nevermind. Had to click on the "Settings" app itself that Activity Launcher shows in the list of apps...

MilliWatts

Jul 3, 2021
Adding an update here as they've either changed Activity Launcher or it shows differently on different tablets. I too have been driven mad by this "usage stats" request. I have wanted to add blockers and timers to my son's tablet but unable to until now.

If you cannot find the usage stats permission, download activities manager from Google Play. If you don't have Google Play on your Fire Tablet you'll need to add it using the ADB program, info for this is easy to find from Google and YouTube but I've linked it below.

Once you have downloaded Activity Manager, open it and click search, the magnifying glass at the top of the screen, start typing in Usage. The first result should say: Apps with Usage Access, open this and turn on whatever apps are off. It will give you a warning, just say "ok" and your apps should work.

As I know info can be hard to come by on the internet I am including ADB advice for anyone with a Fire Tablet here:

Open the description panel in the video to find the links to download the ADB program, the video will show you how to install it.

If you just see a blank "Fire" folder when you plug your Kindle Fire HD 10 (2019) into your desktop computer, tap on your "Settings" icon on your Home screen. Second option is "Connected Devices". Tap on that. First option there is "USB". Tap on that. The bottom half of that list says "Use USB for" and gives you some options. Select "File Transfer", and then go back to your file explorer on you desktop, make sure it is plugged into your Kindle with the supplied cable, and you should see One or Two folders depending on whether or not you have a microSD card installed.

On a Fire 7 and later if you want the the USB data transfer option on all the time/by default then you will need to open the development options, opening the developer options will also help you if you want to remove certain apps from the home screen (https://youtu.be/0zW7jejn2bM) or add Google Services such as play store and YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n58XopeWj5M).

Open Developer Options by doing the following: Settings > Device Options > About Fire Tablet now tap Serial Number about 7 times, go back into the Device Options menu and you will see Developer Options second from the bottom Go into the Dev options and turn them on saying OK on the pop up warning. Under debugging select USB debugging, this will allow you to use the ADB program. #

To keep USB on file transfer by default:
Scroll down to Networking and tap Default USB configuration, set this to File Transfer so you will always see your tablet come up when you put it on a USB cable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will be writing a thread sometime in the next day or so that involves a total reinstallation of the settings on the rooted HD 10 that unlocks that setting amongst others Amazon has locked us out of. If you have an HD 8, download activity launcher from the Play Store open it then tap on the box in the upper left, and tap on all activities, scroll down to settings and tap on that and then tap on apps with usage access.
    Hi,

is it possible to grant "usage data access" to a app?
    I can't find it in the settings but I need it for two apps.

Thanks.

Worked! Thanks!