USB Audio - working!

Search This thread

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Hi everyone,

I know this has been confirmed elsewhere on the net, but I didn't see anything here so thought I would pass this on to the more hardcore audio fans here.

I tried all my USB DACs last night - RSA Intruder, Apex Glacier, HeadAmp Pico, Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII and all are working with the Xperia Z.

moraal

Jan 15, 2007
Amsterdam
I recently got the MW1 (only €19!!!) and learned about DACs (apparently there's a pretty good one inside, Wolfson). Now using this together with the MDR-1R and my Xperia Z! Really nice.
The DACs you are talking about are standalones? How would you use these and why? And why so many? Sry noob questions, but would really like to know.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, standalone DACs/amps. You would use these because they give you better sound quality than the phone itself does, and also the amplification makes them able to drive less sensitive headphones, which phones are unsuited for. Now that Sony, HTC, and Samsung all have USB audio in their phones it means I never have to care how good or bad my phones inbuilt sound quality is, I know I'll always have awesome sound quality regardless.

As for why so many, well, no particular reason apart from I wanted to know which I liked best and I'm taking my sweet time about deciding!

Reactions: moraal

L11

Feb 28, 2005
I recently got the MW1 (only €19!!!) and learned about DACs (apparently there's a pretty good one inside, Wolfson). Now using this together with the MDR-1R and my Xperia Z! Really nice.
The DACs you are talking about are standalones? How would you use these and why? And why so many? Sry noob questions, but would really like to know.

Where did you get it for 19 euros from?

moraal

Jan 15, 2007
Amsterdam
Where did you get it for 19 euros from?

It was a temporary offer from Studentmobiel, the dutch company where I ordered my XZ. Ridiculously good offer :D

Yeah, standalone DACs/amps. You would use these because they give you better sound quality than the phone itself does, and also the amplification makes them able to drive less sensitive headphones, which phones are unsuited for. Now that Sony, HTC, and Samsung all have USB audio in their phones it means I never have to care how good or bad my phones inbuilt sound quality is, I know I'll always have awesome sound quality regardless.

As for why so many, well, no particular reason apart from I wanted to know which I liked best and I'm taking my sweet time about deciding!

Thanks for the explanation.

What do you mean by less sensitive headphones?

If I understand, newer model phones all have a DAC inside already?

In my case, because there's a Wolfson DAC in the MW1, would you recommend using MW1 or just using Xperia Z (in the case of audio quality) ?

Last edited:

Mixermachine

Jan 5, 2011
Munich
PlugAndPlay

Is it a simple plugAndPlay or do you have to restart the phone with the DAC plugged in?

Would love to attach a Behringer X302 to my (future) Xperia Z
It's only 42Euro at Thomann.de

According to the Android App USBAudioRecorderPRO
i can record a signal with the Xperia Z (hopefully)
Think that output is also possible?

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Is it a simple plugAndPlay or do you have to restart the phone with the DAC plugged in?

Would love to attach a Behringer X302 to my (future) Xperia Z
It's only 42Euro at Thomann.de

According to the Android App USBAudioRecorderPRO
i can record a signal with the Xperia Z (hopefully)
Think that output is also possible?

Simple plug and play, USB Audio Recorder Pro not required.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008

All phones have a DAC inside, a DAC is a digital to analog converter, and is required for the playback of digital music and sound.

The advantage of bypassing the phones internal DAC, which is what is being done with USB audio, is that if a phone has a poor DAC (or good DAC that is poorly implemented for that matter) you're not stuck with that.

Headphones and IEMs have varying sensitivity to a given input signal - some require more power to drive effectively (and when I say drive effectively I mean drive to both good listening volume levels and adequately control the driver of the headphone to get the best from it). That's a fairly simplistic and ham-fisted explanation right there to get the basic gist across, if you really want to understand 'sensitivity' you should take a look at somewhere like Head-Fi and so some reading about sensitivity and input impedance (for starters). As a general rule IEMs tend to be more sensitive than full-sized headphones.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiesB

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Input and Out?

What happens when you connect a USB Hub.
Would love to connect a external powered USB Hub, a cheap DAC and my Samson G-Track USB Microphone :))

I haven't tried input, I expect that will require USB Audio Recorder Pro. I can check that with my generic Logitech mic.

Connection via a hub should work fine, at least for output, have done that with my S3 and Note II and it's fine. Not sure about simultaneous input and output via a hub though.

moraal

Jan 15, 2007
Amsterdam
All phones have a DAC inside, a DAC is a digital to analog converter, and is required for the playback of digital music and sound.

The advantage of bypassing the phones internal DAC, which is what is being done with USB audio, is that if a phone has a poor DAC (or good DAC that is poorly implemented for that matter) you're not stuck with that.

Headphones and IEMs have varying sensitivity to a given input signal - some require more power to drive effectively (and when I say drive effectively I mean drive to both good listening volume levels and adequately control the driver of the headphone to get the best from it). That's a fairly simplistic and ham-fisted explanation right there to get the basic gist across, if you really want to understand 'sensitivity' you should take a look at somewhere like Head-Fi and so some reading about sensitivity and input impedance (for starters). As a general rule IEMs tend to be more sensitive than full-sized headphones.

Thanks, clear explanation!

I've read several reviews on head-fi, but when it comes to the details, I have no clue what they're talking about ;p Soundstages and subbass and all that. I do want to learn though, would you have any other recommended sites fot this kind of information?

DarkKrypt

May 9, 2012
Melbourne
@NZtechfreak
Youve got me thinking :thumbup:
Is it possible to yplug a micro usb into the Xperia z which splits on the other end into two usbs -
One for the dac the other for charging?
Ive got an idea brewing...

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

jkwanness

Mar 8, 2013
I'm getting back my Audio-GD NFB-3.32... Upgraded to USB 32... wonder if that'll work with the XZ.... cause i believe that even in windows, a driver needs to be installed...

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
@NZtechfreak
Youve got me thinking :thumbup:
Is it possible to yplug a micro usb into the Xperia z which splits on the other end into two usbs -
One for the dac the other for charging?
Ive got an idea brewing...

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

You can use a Y-split cable according to some at Head-Fi, however I believe it will only charge the attached peripheral and not the phone.

I'm getting back my Audio-GD NFB-3.32... Upgraded to USB 32... wonder if that'll work with the XZ.... cause i believe that even in windows, a driver needs to be installed...

Probably not if driver installation is required. I have the Audio-GD Reference 10 by the way, they make some stunning gear.

LOBOPENDEX

Oct 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

I know this has been confirmed elsewhere on the net, but I didn't see anything here so thought I would pass this on to the more hardcore audio fans here.

I tried all my USB DACs last night - RSA Intruder, Apex Glacier, HeadAmp Pico, Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII and all are working with the Xperia Z.

Hi, I am really interested in knowing more. Could you tell me how you plugged the Xperia Z? Is it a direct plug and play using USB out from the Z. ANY SPECIAL CABLE NEEDED OR JUST THE CHARGER USB CABLE?

Appreciate the info. :good:

Last edited:

cedou97yon

Mar 28, 2013
Hi,
I'm very interested in this thread.
I bought that device for my xperia z, ESI Dr. dac nano.
But it doesn't work "power consumption error message", because this dac is usb powered :s.

I think the xperia z will only accept dac/AMP which work with their own battery, do you have a device to test this ?
i'm also very interested in the hrt microstreamer but it is also usb powered, so i won't buy it until i have a proof it can work with an xperia z.

I think your not new in "the word of usb dac/amp" could you give me an advice if i want to buy a battery powered usb dac/amp, as small as possible and with a sound as good as the microstreamer(only basing on review :s)?

LOBOPENDEX

Oct 2, 2011
Hi,
I'm very interested in this thread.
I bought that device for my xperia z, ESI Dr. dac nano.
But it doesn't work "power consumption error message", because this dac is usb powered :s.

I think the xperia z will only accept dac/AMP which work with their own battery, do you have a device to test this ?
i'm also very interested in the hrt microstreamer but it is also usb powered, so i won't buy it until i have a proof it can work with an xperia z.

I think your not new in "the word of usb dac/amp" could you give me an advice if i want to buy a battery powered usb dac/amp, as small as possible and with a sound as good as the microstreamer(only basing on review :s)?

You are right in that you need a self powerd amp/dac. I suggest the Sony PHA-1.
By any chance do you know if for Xperias equiped with 4.1 Jellybean connection to outside amp/dacs is plug n play or do you need special app?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

just plug and play :)

Behringer Xenyx 302 USB works!
    -> http://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_xenyx_302_usb.htm

it's USB powered. Have to mute it bevor i plug it in, else it needs to much power.

Simply plug and play, just like plugin in my earphones...

Doesn't connected mic, but tested to record something...
    Nearly all apps gave me errors...

Tried USB Audio Recorder.
    Works :)
    Look at the Play store page :D

---Here---

qbk8KcVNN2YG5xghFmwgcBqqNvVMSGfuhM6Mkt2_Dpp17WOvSj8HTr0sNZyiq1eOQ9M=w705

the dev also uses a Z :)

next i will test my samson g-track usb mic :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone