USB-C port is charging only (no adb, fastboot, file transfer, USB accessories)

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
I recently bought this phone used off a fella. During the deal there was no mention of whether or not the phone would connect normally to a PC. I plugged it into the charger, it started charging, not IMEI blacklisted, thought "hey, yay!".

I went home with a real excited grin on my face, ready to crack this baby open by unlocking the bootloader, rooting it, installing custom recovery, ROMs, the whole nine-yards. I plug it in to my extremely-reliable, many-a-fastboot'd-devices desktop computer, and nothing. No chime, no popup, no device manager caution triangle (where's the driver?) message, nothing. So I was like "okay, bad cord, NEXT"...... I went through five different cords, 7 different ports (including a dedicated USB2.0 port off the motherboard itself and a USB3.0 hub, just for giggles). I used a Linux laptop, thinking it was a "Windows Issue", nope. Tried my girlfriends desktop, nope. I said "let's try random accessories". Went through a bunch of USB drives with different adapters, a bunch of USB-C headphones, tried connecting to a bunch of other USB-C phones I have. NOTHING!

So, I spent the last two days as a Googling madman. I searched high and low and never found anything about anything that could help my issue. The port is perfectly spotless (one of the things I always look at before buying ANY phone), and the connections are naturally looking copper-like with no pins missing. I tried safe mode, factory reset galore, (recovery and rescue are useless)... even thought about adb over WiFi, but you need a physical connection before making that work. I tried letting the phone die (and when I say die, I mean le ded) and recharging it to 100, in hopes that defuggled it, iunno, somehow... nothing.

Here I am, at the mercy of you folk here. I'm sure some of you have enough experience to bury me - so please, give me anything, anything at all, as insignificant as it seems, it may help.

Currently, my next idea is to opt-in to the Android 11 beta to see if that miraculously fixes it. (good luck, amirite?)

EDIT 01: Android 11 did not change anything from bootloader to OS in terms of USB connectivity. Only change is the addition of WiFi ADB. (yay...right?)

Last edited:

HCFL

Nov 14, 2013
Bump. I'd like to add some additional research below:

Tonight I had the January 5th update pop up on my device. I checked the baseband version on Google and turns out my device is previously a Verizon variant that must have been unlocked. It works with my Canadian Koodo SIM without any issues.

I also noticed that when I boot into recovery and factory reset, that I get a line in the log that says "Wiping Titan M", and when I look into what that is, it's seems to be Google's way of adding a level of hardware fingerprinting through public security keys. That's cool stuff, but what does it mean for me?

An additional point I must add: for some reason, the phone will drain it's battery while it's turned off. When I charge it (while it's off) from 0 to 100 with a USB charge monitor, it added 3708 mAh. The capacity is only 3430 mAh, so what the hell? I figure there must be something physically wrong with the USB port itself (is there a short that's causing enough resistance to act as a drain?) or the phone is not actually powered off and somehow some part of it is using power... and I don't know how likely that is.

With all of this in mind, I see on many other posts on the internet about people who had their USB-C ports replaced and it fixes nothing. So I'm very hesitant to spend money to get that replaced.