Question USB-C to 3.5mm converter

Search This thread

msegmx

Nov 1, 2009
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Question: I just bought a converter, but neither the S22U nor S8+ recognizes it.

Granted, it said for xiaomi but I thought they're all the same.

Is this because of the latest USB-C 3.2 format? or am I missing something ?

Question: I just bought a converter, but neither the S22U nor S8+ recognizes it.

I bought mine from Walmart and it works just fine. It even works with microphones or headsets. It's Walmart's cheap "onn" brand. I bought three or four of them because I always lose them. As far as quality goes, they feel and sound as good as any other one does, and they're only like five bucks.

I'm pretty sure these kind of links are allowed. I haven't been on here in a while since Samsung has been BL locking all their US devices....

I looked around. I couldn't find the forum rules., but I'm an idiot, soooo..... I guess posting links isn't allowed because of them damned robots. Even if it is only to help a brotha' out... lol
I just keep thinking about Terminator 2, and if all we are worried about is spam right now what will it be later. We thought it wouldn't even get this far, but it has already begun...

Last edited:
Reactions: msegmx

Try this one.

Edit: The Samsung one that I posted doesn't work. I just tried the one that came with my Tab S5e and neither my S22U nor my Tab S7 recognized it.

Last edited:

To be honest. You would probably be better off just getting a new set of USB-C headphones. They cost from around $9 to $30 with the average around $15 or so. The amount of money you are going to spend on a USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor will be about the same as you would spend on a pair of USB-C headphones.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Slade8525

burnin

Jan 24, 2013
I bought a cheap one and work just fine after the last USB-C audio update via Galaxy Store. My problem is that when I am using on a phone call the micro doesn't work! Any solution?

msegmx

Nov 1, 2009
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Is the same rule true for USB-C headphones, do the cheap ones work or do the headphones need to have a special (expensive) chip inside?

Do Xiaomi compatible cheap USB-C headphones (with microphone) work?

Is the same rule true for USB-C headphones, do the cheap ones work or do the headphones need to have a special (expensive) chip inside?

I'm not sure. It should, but the OP stated the one he had was Xiaomi and it didn't work with his S22U.

I do know the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter works. My daughter has one. I tested it on my S22U, Tab S7, and her S22 and it worked with no problems. It cost $9.99 at Best Buy and around $8.27 at Amazon.

You don't need to worry if it includes a DAC since that is handled in the phone. If it wasn't the speakers and microphones wouldn't work.

msegmx

Nov 1, 2009
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I'm not sure. It should, but the OP stated the one he had was Xiaomi and it didn't work with his S22U.

I do know the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter works. My daughter has one. I tested it on my S22U, Tab S7, and her S22 and it worked with no problems. It cost $9.99 at Best Buy and around $8.27 at Amazon.

You don't need to worry if it includes a DAC since that is handled in the phone. If it wasn't the speakers and microphones wouldn't work.
I gave up on buying a converter/ adapter and already ordered earbuds. But I still want to have headphones around, and obviously they have to be USB-C.

So I was looking at some (USB-C) headphones today, some of them were quite cheap, some were labeled "Xiaomi compatible". Was wondering if they'd work with the S22U.

Do those (cheap) USB-C headphones work with the S22U or do they have a DAC problem as well?

I gave up on buying a converter/ adapter and already ordered earbuds. But I still want to have headphones around, and obviously they have to be USB-C.

So I was looking at some (USB-C) headphones today, some of them were quite cheap, some were labeled "Xiaomi compatible". Was wondering if they'd work with the S22U.

Do those (cheap) USB-C headphones work with the S22U or do they have a DAC problem as well?
I don't think it's a DAC problem. I think it's a wiring problem. Xiaomi may not be implementing the USB-C specification fully or properly. USB-C is a connector standard, not a protocol standard. Just because a device has a USB-C port doesn't mean it fully supports USB 3.x protocols. For example, the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite has a USB-C port, but uses USB 2.0 standard.

As far as cheap USB-C headphones, as long as the manufacturer adheres to the proper USB-C pin-outs then they should work. I ordered these for my daughter's S22. They are the exact same headphones I use on my S22U and Tab S7.

Skull Candy and manufacturers also make USB-C headphones that are under $30.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

DACs for these aren't expensive but the headphones will not work without one.
Output from the C port is in the digital not analog realm thus the need for a DAC.
It's easier to use the Buds+ or similar Samsung bt ear bud. Otherwise use the Samsung 3.5 mm audio dongle, it's $15.

DACs for these aren't expensive but the headphones will not work without one.
Output from the C port is in the digital not analog realm thus the need for a DAC.
It's easier to use the Buds+ or similar Samsung bt ear bud. Otherwise use the Samsung 3.5 mm audio dongle, it's $15.
Again. You are putting out bad information. The DAC is in the phone, not in the headphones. If there were no DAC in the phone, the speakers would not work.

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
I bought an adaptor to be able to use my old Paypal and Square 3.5mm credit card reader swiper but for some unknown reason it don't work the card pay apps don't seem to recognize it ?
Wondering if anyone out there using it for the same reason has found a solution ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It needs to have a built in DAC.

I bought mine from Walmart and it works just fine. It even works with microphones or headsets. It's Walmart's cheap "onn" brand. I bought three or four of them because I always lose them. As far as quality goes, they feel and sound as good as any other one does, and they're only like five bucks.

I'm pretty sure these kind of links are allowed. I haven't been on here in a while since Samsung has been BL locking all their US devices....

I looked around. I couldn't find the forum rules., but I'm an idiot, soooo..... I guess posting links isn't allowed because of them damned robots. Even if it is only to help a brotha' out... lol
    I just keep thinking about Terminator 2, and if all we are worried about is spam right now what will it be later. We thought it wouldn't even get this far, but it has already begun...

To be honest. You would probably be better off just getting a new set of USB-C headphones. They cost from around $9 to $30 with the average around $15 or so. The amount of money you are going to spend on a USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor will be about the same as you would spend on a pair of USB-C headphones.
    Use the one from Apple. It works fine and cheap.
    Good luck getting that to insert into a USB C port.
    Apple sell USB-C to 3.5mm adaptors. I'm pretty sure the only Apple device that hasn't transitioned to USB-C yet is the iPhone.