Question USB-C to 3.5mm converter

Search This thread

hand-filer

Sep 21, 2021
Elmwood
Again. You are putting out bad information. The DAC is in the phone, not in the headphones. If there were no DAC in the phone, the speakers would not work.
He provided factual information. The USB C port output is digital only. You need a USB C to 3.5 with a built in DAC to use analog devices. The built in DAC is only used for the phone speaker.

Reactions: msegmx

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
He provided factual information. The USB C port output is digital only. You need a USB C to 3.5 with a built in DAC to use analog devices. The built in DAC is only used for the phone speaker.
Do you think a 3.5mm adaptor with built in DAC will make the adaptor work with things like the Paypal or Square card readers ?
The normal adaptor I bought don't seem to work them ?

I bought an adaptor to be able to use my old Paypal and Square 3.5mm credit card reader swiper but for some unknown reason it don't work the card pay apps don't seem to recognize it ?
Wondering if anyone out there using it for the same reason has found a solution ?

A USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor won't work with PayPal or Square card readers. Those adaptors are designed to work with headphones. I had a PayPal reader a few years ago that used the 3.5mm port. It worked great with my Note 8 and my Tab S2. However, when I switched to the Note 10+ and Tab S5e, (both have no 3.5mm port), I couldn't use it as is. When I tried using it with the adaptor that came with my Tab S5e, it didn't work. I ended up getting PayPal's wireless reader. Both PayPal and Square make wireless card readers.

The basic PayPal Here wireless reader is $25.00 and the basic Square wireless reader is $49.00. Both have batteries and charge via USB. The only downside, at least for the PayPal reader, is that it charges via a microUSB connector, so you would need to keep an extra cable on hand just to charge it.

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
A USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor won't work with PayPal or Square card readers. Those adaptors are designed to work with headphones. I had a PayPal reader a few years ago that used the 3.5mm port. It worked great with my Note 8 and my Tab S2. However, when I switched to the Note 10+ and Tab S5e, (both have no 3.5mm port), I couldn't use it as is. When I tried using it with the adaptor that came with my Tab S5e, it didn't work. I ended up getting PayPal's wireless reader. Both PayPal and Square make wireless card readers.

The basic PayPal Here wireless reader is $25.00 and the basic Square wireless reader is $49.00. Both have batteries and charge via USB. The only downside, at least for the PayPal reader, is that it charges via a microUSB connector, so you would need to keep an extra cable on hand just to charge it.
Right exactly I already have the wireless readers I just find it annoying to have to always keep them charged and then get them to establish there wireless connection on the fly takes a bit more effort. When I saw this thread I was just hoping it was possible there was an adaptor that could take me back to the good old days of the non wireless connection is all :)

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Right exactly I already have the wireless readers I just find it annoying to have to always keep them charged and then get them to establish there wireless connection on the fly takes a bit more effort. When I saw this thread I was just hoping it was possible there was an adaptor that could take me back to the good old days of the non wireless connection is all :)
It's quit annoying Samsung keeps ditching useful features. The SD card slot elimination killed any appetite I had for S22U plus it's lame form factor.

It's quit annoying Samsung keeps ditching useful features. The SD card slot elimination killed any appetite I had for S22U plus it's lame form factor.
The 3.5mm port isn't coming back anytime soon. And until phone manufacturers come up with something new, the current form factor isn't going to change much. Even the foldable devices use a bigger version of the traditional form factor, just folded. You can thank Apple for both the current form factor and for getting rid of the 3.5mm port.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It needs to have a built in DAC.
    Question: I just bought a converter, but neither the S22U nor S8+ recognizes it.

Granted, it said for xiaomi but I thought they're all the same.

Is this because of the latest USB-C 3.2 format? or am I missing something ?
    I bought mine from Walmart and it works just fine. It even works with microphones or headsets. It's Walmart's cheap "onn" brand. I bought three or four of them because I always lose them. As far as quality goes, they feel and sound as good as any other one does, and they're only like five bucks.

I'm pretty sure these kind of links are allowed. I haven't been on here in a while since Samsung has been BL locking all their US devices....

I looked around. I couldn't find the forum rules., but I'm an idiot, soooo..... I guess posting links isn't allowed because of them damned robots. Even if it is only to help a brotha' out... lol
    I just keep thinking about Terminator 2, and if all we are worried about is spam right now what will it be later. We thought it wouldn't even get this far, but it has already begun...
    Question: I just bought a converter, but neither the S22U nor S8+ recognizes it.

Granted, it said for xiaomi but I thought they're all the same.

Is this because of the latest USB-C 3.2 format? or am I missing something ?
    To be honest. You would probably be better off just getting a new set of USB-C headphones. They cost from around $9 to $30 with the average around $15 or so. The amount of money you are going to spend on a USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor will be about the same as you would spend on a pair of USB-C headphones.
    Use the one from Apple. It works fine and cheap.
    Good luck getting that to insert into a USB C port.
    Apple sell USB-C to 3.5mm adaptors. I'm pretty sure the only Apple device that hasn't transitioned to USB-C yet is the iPhone.