• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question USB-C to 3.5mm for car auxiliary port

Search This thread

jelive

Nov 7, 2008
San Antonio, Tx.
HTC U11
Is this for a car aux port or for earphones you use

Is this for a car aux port or for earphones you use it for?
Older analog earphones...but believe google adapter is converting digital to analog. Only thing appears you'd need besides the converter is a male to male 3.5mm cable....one end to converter and other end to radio. Tried various other options without success. Also fairly inexpensive option.

Reactions: Jamesr1292

Jamesr1292

Jan 29, 2013
Cork
Older analog earphones...but believe google adapter is converting digital to analog. Only thing appears you'd need besides the converter is a male to male 3.5mm cable....one end to converter and other end to radio. Tried various other options without success. Also fairly inexpensive option.
legend! Thanks :)

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I tried again my old passive cable and it does not work no matter if you play sound on the speakers before connecting it or not. In any case message appears that accessory is not compatible.

fryguy

Feb 7, 2008
I was in need of the same thing. I bought a Xumee 3.5mm and charger adapter. It didn't work so well. Audio worked when it wanted and charge wouldn't work. Reading on here and saw the one from Nimaso was good. Only been a couple days but has been working well in my truck. It does take a couple seconds for the phone to recognize and switch to the adapter.

USB Type C to 3.5mm Headphone and Charger Adapter, NIMASO 2 in 1 Headphone Jack Charging Power Aux Cable Compatible with Pixel 4 3 XL, Galaxy S21 S20 S20+ Plus iPad Pro Air 4 Mini 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DJ776D...abc_KNCR860JPANHV4W1QDT3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
I was in need of the same thing. I bought a Xumee 3.5mm and charger adapter. It didn't work so well. Audio worked when it wanted and charge wouldn't work. Reading on here and saw the one from Nimaso was good. Only been a couple days but has been working well in my truck. It does take a couple seconds for the phone to recognize and switch to the adapter.

USB Type C to 3.5mm Headphone and Charger Adapter, NIMASO 2 in 1 Headphone Jack Charging Power Aux Cable Compatible with Pixel 4 3 XL, Galaxy S21 S20 S20+ Plus iPad Pro Air 4 Mini 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DJ776D...abc_KNCR860JPANHV4W1QDT3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I have some Nimaso charge cables and they seem to be high quality.

mrplowdan

Dec 26, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Years ago with my old car I just used a cheap Bluetooth in/FM out adapter. Worked great for me.
This is a newer version of the same thing I had

It works on your Pixel 6? Maybe mine is defective??
I don't think it's defective. I have one from Moto Z and one from Moto Z2 Force. Both bring up the same message as long as I connect a pair of earphones; "Analogue audio accessory detected - The attached device is not compatible with this phone. Tap to learn more"

Tapping will bring you to a webpage saying that you need to check that the adaptor works with digital audio.

FYI neither works with my iPad as well.

DenisEhm

Sep 24, 2007
Gatineau
I'll echo what most people have been saying, make sure it has a DAC and it should work fine. I got this one from Ugreen and it works very well. I especially like that it's sideways, so it's less in the way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need an active adapter with integrated DAC (digital to analogue converter). Passive ones will not work. You better get the google cable if available. Apple one works but is too quiet in android. In fact any active cable should work.
    An alternative if you have 12v power in your car is using a USB Bluetooth to 3.5mm device like this one.

That way you can still be wireless and have Bluetooth in an older car, without having to deal with those hit or miss radio adaptors
    I have this issue since using the Galaxy S21, the way I fixed it, start playing music on the phone speaker, then connect the cable, and it will start working, it happens all the time, that why I bought a cheap Bluetooth receiver from Walmart, best $8 I've spent in years.
    I thought to do the same but the phone shows that the connected device is not supported :(
    You need an active adapter with integrated DAC (digital to analogue converter). Passive ones will not work. You better get the google cable if available. Apple one works but is too quiet in android. In fact any active cable should work.

Just to clear up what that actually means for OP: a passive adapter will work only on USB-C ports that are able to route an *analog* signal. These are fairly uncommon -- most USB-C ports are digital only.

The nice thing about digital output is that you get to control the sound quality by selecting a USB-DAC of a quality that meets your needs, instead of being limited to whatever cheap thing they built in to the phone.

Physically, you can't even tell the difference any more. While USB-DAC's used to always involve a "big ugly box", the circuitry has shrunk these days to small enough to fit into the ends of the dongle.

The headphone adapter sold by Google is an example of this, its a USB-DAC, but shows no sign of containing any significant components besides the connectors.
    This discussion is very interesting. Generally pixel 6 (and previous pixels also) do not send analogue audio signal to the usb type c port hence passive converters from type c to 3.5 mm do not work. You need active converter with integrated DAC (digital to analogue converter) in it so that the digital audio from the usb type c port is transformed to analogue signal and sent to the headphones or whatever else. Every phone though has integrated DAC in the chipset because otherwise it would not be able to drive its own speakers with analogue signal. When i tried to connect my passive DAC adapter from oneplus 7 phone i got error on the pixel 6 that cable is not compatible. It is possible if you play something through the speakers analogue signal to also be copied towards the usb type c port and this way to trick passive adapters to also work but this need to be tested. I think that i still have the passive adapter somewhere and will test these days if i find it.