USB-C to HDMI adaptor

Search This thread

sniperfox47

Aug 14, 2012
It does work, but with some caveats:
1) If the dock uses DisplayLink's Gigabit ethernet port the ethernet port won't work.
2) It has higher latency than mhl, slimport, or Displayport Alt Mode. Still less than Google Cast or Miracast though.
3) It requires an app (Displaylink Presenter) to be installed to act as the driver for their chipset. It only works on android 5.0 or later because it uses the screen recording API. This also means that some apps that block the screen recording API might not work properly with it. I don't use netflix or anything so I can't say if that works or not.
4) Max 1080p resolution on the output.
5) It will drain your battery really quick if you plug it straight in with a usb-C to A adapter, so you may want to plug it into a powered hub or better yet plug the displaylink dock/adapter into a type-C dock with Power Delivery back to your Pixel C.

The one I use is pluggable's UD-3900 dock, but any Displaylink chipset powered dock or adapter should work exactly the same.

joem5815

Sep 16, 2016
Can also confirm the Dell USB 3.0 to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB adapter worked with Pixel C using a USB-C to USB-A adapter. Haven't tried on anything else yet.

joem5815

Sep 16, 2016
I used the Displaylink app. It worked, but it mirrors the aspect ratio, which doesn't look too good on any tv.

Curiously, the same setup did not work on my Axon 7.

m0ritz

Sep 15, 2011
At the moment the Pixel C does NOT support HDMI-out through the USB-C port. This feature is being worked on, and will (hopefully) come in a future update.
See Reddit AMA a few days ago...

Can you post a link to the AMA? I am not able to find it with Google...

Sam-X-

Jan 1, 2014

l3enjamin

May 17, 2007
Hong Kong
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...googles-usb-c-hdmi-dongle/#comment-2944197750

The comment from Benson Leung suggested that the USB-C to HDMI cable from google is built with a chip to convert the displayport signal to HDMI. I believe that means if USB-C to DP works, then USB-C to HDMI will also work.

Also, since the Macbook 12" do not support displayport alt mode, most of the USB-C to DP adapter available in the market is acting like a USB graphic card which will not work with Android devices, unless Android provide support for external graphic card.

Have anyone tried the Google USB-C to DP cable already?

Edit: The Macbook 12" does support displayport alt mode with dp 1.0 standard, but the HDMI and DVI adapter are implemented as an external graphic card.

Last edited:

joem5815

Sep 16, 2016
Hi joem5815, can you please confirm that the Dell adapter works with usb storage and pass-through charging?

I'm not sure which adapter you're referring to (the USB-A 3.0 or the USB-C 3.1), but I'm sure neither supports pass-through charging, and I'm pretty confident they both support flash drives. They do on the devices I have. Unfortunately, I ended up selling my Pixel C. So, can't confirm on that, but the Pixel C was pretty good with it's USB hub support, so it's probably worth a shot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At the moment the Pixel C does NOT support HDMI-out through the USB-C port. This feature is being worked on, and will (hopefully) come in a future update.
    See Reddit AMA a few days ago...

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=228895
    Not to resurrect an old thread, but the USB C to HDMI adapter (https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_hdmi_adapter) listed on the Google Store says "Enjoy with Pixel C". Did this update to allow HDMI over USB C go out and I missed it? I haven't seen anyone talking about it or anything, so maybe it's just a bug on the Google Store, I'm not sure.
    This conversation with Google is similar to every conversation I've had with them.
    They may have a script, but they are free to move off it if someone throws real data (e.g. website says...)

In three conversations with them, they have only asked me to reboot once. This was for a problem when my hammerhead repeatedly rebooted after loading a ROM. They asked me to clear cache in recovery and reboot. The problem happened again. They had a hammerhead in the mail by the end of the day.
    Every other time, it was a a simple 'We will have a device for you in two days'.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
    While USB-C DisplayPort to HDMI adapters don't currently work (and may never work), the other option is to use a DisplayLink adapter instead. There's now a DisplayLink driver app that you can use on Android 5.0 or higher that you can use with one of their USB to HDMI/VGA adapters. They're the chipset maker behind pretty much any USB 2.0/USB 3.0 type-A adapter or hub, but just make sure their logo is on the box.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone