USB Flap not closing properly..

Search This thread

pricey2009

Nov 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Had the phone for nearly two weeks.. Noticed the flap seems to open on its own this in turn taking away the "waterproof" abilities of the device.

Spoke to O2 UK and literally straight away the guy said they will be exchanging it.

I now have a courier coming tomorrow to swap the phones out so hopefully I don't get this issue again..

Can't fault the service from O2 here though they don't mess about!

Sent from my D5803 using XDA Free mobile app

Tuberomix

Dec 14, 2013
That's disappointing...
I'm planning on getting the Z3 Compact through a friend going to America which frankly means that if I have any problems like these I won't be able to use the warranty and replace the device. Hopefully I won't have any problems.
One thing that can prevent problems with the USB flap is simply not using it, but rather charging via the magnetic port with a dock/cable/adapter.

pricey2009

Nov 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
That's disappointing...
I'm planning on getting the Z3 Compact through a friend going to America which frankly means that if I have any problems like these I won't be able to use the warranty and replace the device. Hopefully I won't have any problems.
One thing that can prevent problems with the USB flap is simply not using it, but rather charging via the magnetic port with a dock/cable/adapter.

Shouldn't have to avoid using any part of the phone.. If it's not going to work properly I don't want it, no matter what it is I have bought..

Tuberomix

Dec 14, 2013
Shouldn't have to avoid using any part of the phone.. If it's not going to work properly I don't want it, no matter what it is I have bought..

Yes that's fair enough. It's a shame if the USB flap really does have design issues or maybe it's just a rarer issue that unfortunately happened to you.

pricey2009

Nov 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Yes that's fair enough. It's a shame if the USB flap really does have design issues or maybe it's just a rarer issue that unfortunately happened to you.

Apparently it's not so rare, alot of people would seem to getting similar issues if you look on the Sony mobile forums..

I would advise everyone to check their units and make sure both flaps close properly..

If not your phone will not be waterproof and hence may die if you take it for a swim like they do on the adverts...

ChiGGz

May 22, 2007
Toronto
At the end of the day, the flaps are made of plastic which can and will bend if you don't take care when removing or make sure its not getting caught in anything while its off.

I'm not saying this is the case with everyone, but likely for most...

Last edited:

zer0day

Oct 29, 2007
I'm in exactly the same boat. Bought the black version from Clove, arrived just under 2 weeks ago. For the last few days, I noticed the flap was loose when taking it out of my pocket, thought it was becoming loose while walking around. Closed the flap and left it on the table, few minutes later, it was loose again, so definitely a hardware problem. Gave the flap a clear with an earbud but no cigar. Nano SIM cover sits nice and tight

Really disappointed as I really like the phone and apart from this issue, it lives up to my expectations for both the hardware and software. Gonna be a pain going back to my Nexus 4 which I wiped clean in the expectation I'd be selling it soon >.<

Is it a case of replacing the flap or is there a bigger problem? Anyone had any experience with Clove returns? Will they ship out a new one before I return the faulty one - would make life easier as I can use the Sony PC Companion app to transfer all my stuff to the new one straight away

Last edited:

pricey2009

Nov 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I'm in exactly the same boat. Bought the black version from Clove, arrived just under 2 weeks ago. For the last few days, I noticed the flap was loose when taking it out of my pocket, thought it was becoming loose while walking around. Closed the flap and left it on the table, few minutes later, it was loose again, so definitely a hardware problem. Gave the flap a clear with an earbud but no cigar. Nano SIM cover sits nice and tight

Really disappointed as I really like the phone and apart from this issue, it lives up to my expectations for both the hardware and software. Gonna be a pain going back to my Nexus 4 which I wiped clean in the expectation I'd be selling it soon >.<

Is it a case of replacing the flap or is there a bigger problem? Anyone had any experience with Clove returns? Will they ship out a new one before I return the faulty one - would make life easier as I can use the Sony PC Companion app to transfer all my stuff to the new one straight away

Its obviously a known issue or they wouldn't exchange it so fast in my case..

As soon as I told them the issue, the first response was "you will have it exchanged on your doorstep Monday morning"

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

pricey2009

Nov 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Well got my replacement today and the flap on this unit closes with a "click"

So, definitely check your device does this or else it is not waterproof and needs replacing like the one I had before..

zer0day

Oct 29, 2007
Clove have agreed to do an exchange, apparently they've had others return it for the same problem. Hoping the next one is fine

spider1029

Aug 27, 2014
OT: I really don't understand why Sony isn't providing magnetic cable in their original packages. My guess is that there will be a lot of people who will not be familiar with magnetic charging option and damage their flops during opening for charging.

pricey2009

Nov 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
OT: I really don't understand why Sony isn't providing magnetic cable in their original packages. My guess is that there will be a lot of people who will not be familiar with magnetic charging option and damage their flops during opening for charging.

There are no sony produced cables, only magnetic charging docks.. All the cables are third party only

pipspeak

Apr 29, 2008
New York
How did the Z1/Z2 waterproof covers hold up over time? I would assume anything made of rubbery plastic is gonna stretch and deform slightly over time with repeated opening/closing and exposure to the elements, so I'm curious how long these phones actually stay waterproof.

spacemanr

Jan 23, 2011
Just to join the club, have the same issue with my z3c on usb port side, sim card cover is closed as it should be. I already changed my phone once because of display issue and on that one didn't noticed that covers problem. So now I have another irritating issue. Just to inform those who claim that it is bad handling cause, I don't even use this cover cause from the fisrst day of use i had the magnetic charger just because of that I don't have to open this cover and risk to damage it.
So now I have damaged covere which was opened only once, when I inserted my sd card :mad:.

bash156

Jul 5, 2011
New replacement flaps on eBay selling for £5

FaceBeppy

Nov 9, 2010
I got my Z3c from Mediamarkt and found out the flap of the SIM-card wasn't closing either. If you would press it, it would stay in place for a small minute and hops open. I decided to return it and ask for a new one, because I bought the phone because of the waterproofing. I picked up a new one in the store and luckily the flaps were OK. Sony could easily fix this problem by changing the flaps, the rubber seems a tiny bit too thick.

D

Dinkec27

Can I remove the rubber from the USB flap and it will still close properly?