USB hub with Type C pass through charging

Search This thread

skally

Apr 17, 2006
ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Came across this hub with 2x USB3 ports, sdcard and microsd slots, and type c pass through for charging.
https://www.hypershop.com/products/usb-c-5-in-1-hub-with-pass-though-usb-c-charging

GN21B_1024x1024.jpg

Looks useful with the limited storage available on the PixelC

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
That cable looks identical to the one I received from google in the UK, purchased from google with the tab.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sam-X-

Jan 1, 2014
Just to let you guys know:
I contacted Benson Leung and asked him about USB-C hubs for the Pixel C and he said he has one on its way and will review it shortly.

skally

Apr 17, 2006
ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Ok, I received it. I tried powering the PixelC and it works but not at the same speed as the same charger connected directly. I estimate about 1-1.2A

I connected microsd card and it seems to work fine. Not tried using the usb type A ports yet.

My main issue is that it the position and size make it feel quite delicate. It is in the exact place I hold my pixel C and the length makes it feel like a lever on the port. I tried adding a small tab to brace it against the tablet at the other end but that feels no better. I would prefer it connect with a short cable.

I might use it in extreme cases, when wireless is not an option such as on flights, but the aesthetics and the power compliance issue make it hard to recommend.

sindrefyrn

Nov 19, 2009
Oslo
Ok, I received it. I tried powering the PixelC and it works but not at the same speed as the same charger connected directly. I estimate about 1-1.2A

I connected microsd card and it seems to work fine. Not tried using the usb type A ports yet.

My main issue is that it the position and size make it feel quite delicate. It is in the exact place I hold my pixel C and the length makes it feel like a lever on the port. I tried adding a small tab to brace it against the tablet at the other end but that feels no better. I would prefer it connect with a short cable.

I might use it in extreme cases, when wireless is not an option such as on flights, but the aesthetics and the power compliance issue make it hard to recommend.

Thanks a lot. :) Do you possibly have a USB A to ethernet you could try it with? I'm curious to see if it'd work.

Could it be an idea to use it with a USB C extension cable, something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-USB3-...main_0&hash=item3cfbf467bb&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

skally

Apr 17, 2006
ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Thanks a lot. :) Do you possibly have a USB A to ethernet you could try it with? I'm curious to see if it'd work.

Could it be an idea to use it with a USB C extension cable, something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-USB3-...main_0&hash=item3cfbf467bb&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

I have a USB3 3 port hub with ethernet (an Anker AH212). I get ethernet connectivity just fine, although I don't see any options for configuration, so you're stuck with DHCP.

Nice idea on the extension cable, I was hoping one would appear. I wonder if Benson Leung has tested any.

awlllwa

Nov 20, 2008
Well I went ahead and ordered the cheapest mode. It has 3 USB3 and the SD card reader for $35. That gives me what I need on the road, and should give me some impression of the build quality and compatibility with the C. Should have it next Tuesday.

Mustaaa

Jan 15, 2012
Well I went ahead and ordered the cheapest mode. It has 3 USB3 and the SD card reader for $35. That gives me what I need on the road, and should give me some impression of the build quality and compatibility with the C. Should have it next Tuesday.

did ypou receive it already? how is it?

awlllwa

Nov 20, 2008
The usb-c is a bit loose... have to really press it in to get a confident fit. I did get it to read an SD card, this was my most needed feature. Have not yet tested the USB ports. I feel that for the price it could be better.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

abou27

Apr 25, 2016
www.abou27.com
The usb-c is a bit loose... have to really press it in to get a confident fit. I did get it to read an SD card, this was my most needed feature. Have not yet tested the USB ports. I feel that for the price it could be better.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I have one of these. I've yet to use it extensively but can confirm that the USB ports work (4Gb stick used so far) but haven't tried them along with pass-through charging (though this works independently). Build quality seems pretty reasonable but a lot of money seems to have been spent on the presentation/packaging, a little Apple, with sculpted box and foam holding the hub.

taddyj

Sep 11, 2012
perth
Hi,
I've recently received a Pixel C as a replacement for an older tablet which insurance paid for (Thankfully).
Before I seen this thread I got one of the Satechi Passthrough hubs pictured at the start.
I havent had a huge play with it, But soo far I would say I'm fairly happy with it. it feels a little loose but thats not an issue when being used with the magnetic keyboard (So I dont touch the tablet)
Best bit about it tho, if you connect a mouse you basicly have a full laptop!! :D
I'm stoaked.

Boal

Apr 22, 2010
Munich
Hi,
I've recently received a Pixel C as a replacement for an older tablet which insurance paid for (Thankfully).
Before I seen this thread I got one of the Satechi Passthrough hubs pictured at the start.
I havent had a huge play with it, But soo far I would say I'm fairly happy with it. it feels a little loose but thats not an issue when being used with the magnetic keyboard (So I dont touch the tablet)
Best bit about it tho, if you connect a mouse you basicly have a full laptop!! :D
I'm stoaked.
Does that mean it charges the Pixel C as well?

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

This:
http://www.amazon.com/HT-UC001-Shuttle-Delivery-MacBook-ChromeBook/dp/B019R9ILTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459363576&sr=8-2&keywords=hootoo+usb-c+hub

It might be the thing we are after with a short extension cable. Its just super pricey, and only the two most expensive versions have the charge pass through at $60 and $70 USD.

Has anyone used any accessories from HooToo and can remark on the quality?
This works as advertised, though I couldn't check the HDMI. Only one problem: the external power doesn't seem to reach the Pixel C, which makes it kind of useless to me. Not sure where the problem is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I messaged Benson Leung on Google+, asking him if he recommended any USB OTG hosts. He said that OTG does not exist anymore with Type C. He recommended that I get this cable: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VTZ7GM0

Hopefully that hub meets the Type C spec, since it seems that 90% of cables and adapters don't.
    Does this Hub really work on the Pixel C ? I mean, can i use a USB Ethernet Adapter, or a USB Stick while charging the Pixel ?
    Does that mean it charges the Pixel C as well?

It has a pass through power. You can buy them with or without.. So when its connected to the power yes it will charge at the same time
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone