USB-OTG microSD adapter

Search This thread

150pilot

Aug 28, 2010
I wanted an adapter that plugged in to the micro USB port with OTG capability & just had a microSD slot on the other end. However, I couldn't find one, so I set out to make one. I took an micro USB to USB adapter and modified it to be OTG capable and then plugged in the smallest USB microSD adapter I could find. Now I have a nice little adapter that I can plug in without having it flopping around like a tail on the end of a cable. Just thought I'd share my project.
I used information from this page to hook up the wiring correctly:
http://beyondthekeeboard.wordpress....-android-pt-2-making-your-own-usb-host-cable/

180d34e6-d3d8-cbd6.jpg

180d34e6-d3ef-a221.jpg

180d34e6-d3fd-a0fc.jpg

180d34e6-d412-bf8b.jpg

180d34e6-d41f-5abe.jpg

180d34e6-d72e-345f.jpg

180d34e6-d741-de05.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Asovse1

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
Hmm, this looks like it will go on my rainy day project list. Thanks!

Are you by any chance running CyanogenMod if you were taking pictures with a phone?

V8vroom

Aug 13, 2010
Great work, I'm going to have to try this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ronni.rasmussen

Dec 11, 2008
Phuket
eronni.com
Does anyone have the balls to try to make a y-cable and test it?

Head 1: MicroUSB for tablet.
- All cables connected with ID connected to ground for OTG.
Head 2: Female USB (power only)
- Only black and red power cables connected.
Head 3: Female USB (power and data)
- All 4 cables connected

What we hopefully should receive is the possibility to charge the tablet while having storage mounted, plus have the USB devices powered by the power cable instead of the tablet.

I don't have the Nexus 7 myself yet, else i would have tried by now (not available here yet).
I need something like this cause i wan't to replace the screen in my car with this tablet. But since i want to replace the current screen which is mounted inside the dashboard, i wan't to be able to charge while using external storage, since it won't be too easy to tage the tablet in and out all the time.

Question is just if Nexus 7 allow us to use USB as host while charging? If not, could that be kernel related?

Hope someone got the nerves to try this out :)

Last edited:

bennor3814

Jul 19, 2012
Nexus 7
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin

- All 4 cables connected

What we hopefully should receive is the possibility to charge the tablet while having storage mounted, plus have the USB devices powered by the power cable instead of the tablet.

I don't have the Nexus 7 myself yet, else i would have tried by now (not available here yet).
I need something like this cause i wan't to replace the screen in my car with this tablet. But since i want to replace the current screen which is mounted inside the dashboard, i wan't to be able to charge while using external storage, since it won't be too easy to tage the tablet in and out all the time.

Question is just if Nexus 7 allow us to use USB as host while charging? If not, could that be kernel related?

You'd need to mess with the kernel to keep it from turning on the Vbus supply and disabling charging while in host mode. Otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work.

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted an adapter that plugged in to the micro USB port with OTG capability & just had a microSD slot on the other end. However, I couldn't find one, so I set out to make one. I took an micro USB to USB adapter and modified it to be OTG capable and then plugged in the smallest USB microSD adapter I could find. Now I have a nice little adapter that I can plug in without having it flopping around like a tail on the end of a cable. Just thought I'd share my project.
    I used information from this page to hook up the wiring correctly:
    http://beyondthekeeboard.wordpress....-android-pt-2-making-your-own-usb-host-cable/

180d34e6-d3d8-cbd6.jpg

180d34e6-d3ef-a221.jpg

180d34e6-d3fd-a0fc.jpg

180d34e6-d412-bf8b.jpg

180d34e6-d41f-5abe.jpg

180d34e6-d72e-345f.jpg

180d34e6-d741-de05.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    Old thread I know, but I stumbled on it while looking for the same thing myself.

Subsequently found this:

http://www.kawau.com.cn/cn/ProductView.asp?ID=260

And here, there's a review which says it works on Nexus 7:

http://dx.com/p/c310-otc-tf-card-re...er-for-samsung-i9100-i9300-i9220-n7000-174131

Other colors here:

http://dx.com/s/c310.html?sort=Price

Hope this is helpful to somebody.

- All 4 cables connected

You'd need to mess with the kernel to keep it from turning on the Vbus supply and disabling charging while in host mode. Otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Not necessarily

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer

EDIT: It's read-only tho, as opposed to stickmount, which only is read-only for ntfs, unless you flash a kernel that can edit NTFS.

I can read and write both FAT and NTFS with USB OTG Helper 4.0.0
    on a Nexus 7 rooted with WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.2. As far
    as I know, there's nothing special about the kernal.

I installed: USB_OTG_Helper_v4.apk - (1.29 MB, 4697 views)

from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1588940
    I had a couple of hours free this afternoon. The last pic is of the second one I made which points in the opposite direction, away from the headphone socket: