Usb otg without root access for nexus 7 found!

Search This thread

1iam5mith

Aug 15, 2012

4z01235

Jul 23, 2011
Hamilton
Looks interesting, but IMO cloud storage is more useful and easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

And IMO offline storage is more useful, especially on a Wifi-only device, but also for anyone else with a limited data plan on their phone or data connection capable tablet. Also, pretty sure a $9 16GB USB stick is more cost effective than pretty much any 16GB cloud storage option.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

hawleyncsu

Dec 29, 2011
There is actually a thread over in the Themes and Apps section that the developer made. He is really open to input. I like the app, as I don't have to root to use a flash drive with videos saved on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

JaSauders

Aug 10, 2011
Well, isn't that a kick in the teeth, because I just rooted last night simply to use USB OTG. At first I kind of felt "meh" over the read only factor, but then I got to thinking, am I really going to need to transfer from tablet to external media? I'd much rather transfer from external media to tablet, do what I need to do with watching whatever content I may have, then simply delete it off the tablet... no reason to transfer it back when it's the same darn file. Some people may have uses for having a 2 way setup, but I'm sure this will fit the bill for a lot of people. I do find it a considerable bummer that ext* file systems aren't supported, but meh.

just lou

Dec 8, 2010
New York
4z01235;30499855. said:
Also, pretty sure a $9 16GB USB stick is more cost effective than pretty much any 16GB cloud storage option.

How is $9 for $16GB more cost effective than the almost 50GB's I have online for free?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

ItsDon

Mar 29, 2008
Dripping Springs, Texas
Nice find! I travel with my Nexus and having the videos accessible from a USB drive on the airplane is great. Wifi on a plane is good for Facebook and email,nothing else.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using xda app-developers app

yococs

Jun 5, 2012
can we directly read data in the usb? for example pdf files and media files? :confused:

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

can we directly read data in the usb? for example pdf files and media files? :confused:

johnzm

Dec 14, 2009
i dont understand the bickering of cloud data. it is nice but i have 20 hours of plane flights coming up. cloud data will not be a very good solution for me compared to plugging a hard drive into my tablet.

MetTrax

Jul 18, 2012
:D Being a non-root user, this is great news for me. I always used splashtop to watch my videos directly from my computer, though it gave me no trouble, I would much rather have the movie with me.

Can't wait till the developer puts it back up.

RickInHouston

Jul 8, 2010
Downloaded Nexus Media Importer yesterday. It works as needed on my GNex, Nexus 7 and Xoom. No root necessary. Amazing! I'd pay for this app in a heartbeat! Sorry have no place to upload it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer

It may be read only, but its a place to store your media to use, and keep your internal memory for other stuff!

This app isn't mine, and I did not make t or have any input in development, I simpliky just found n Google play, just thought I'd say :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Looks interesting, but IMO cloud storage is more useful and easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

And IMO offline storage is more useful, especially on a Wifi-only device, but also for anyone else with a limited data plan on their phone or data connection capable tablet. Also, pretty sure a $9 16GB USB stick is more cost effective than pretty much any 16GB cloud storage option.

Just to be sure - can I watch a movie using MX Player straight from a USB drive without copying it to the device first?

Also - how complicated is it to look through photos on a SD card? I might get it for my mother so she can look at photos from her camera, but she's not exactly a technical person and I'd prefer to keep it simple (also the reason why I don't want to root her tablet).

Wysyłane z mojego HTC Vision za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Yes, you can use MX player to play video from USB drive without copying it to the device.
    Photo viewing is very easy. If she can use the tablet, she is more than capable of viewing the photos using this software
    It has always cost money, and it is well worth the price.
    How is $9 for $16GB more cost effective than the almost 50GB's I have online for free?

Ask yourself that when you are somewhere that doesn't have wifi.

This isn't an either/or thing. The cloud is great when it is accessible but useless when it is not, and a flash drive is great when the cloud can't be reached but adds one more little thing to carry around. Using both is no hardship and covers all of the bases.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone