• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

USB storage not showing up in windows

Search This thread

zosimov21

Aug 22, 2012
Greensboro
Anyone else with problems seeing the storage after plugging into PC? adb command works and device drivers installed. Found another forum where turning the usb from MTP to charging and back under developer options does the trick. I have a non stock ROM and seeing if fresh out of the box experiences the same thing.

rramey23

Jul 29, 2010
I have the same issue and can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. My work around has been to use ES File Explorer and open Remote Manager.

Edit: I just plugged it in again to see what I can find. I turned off USB Debugging and Developer Options. Plugged in and pulled the notification bar down, there is an option to change USB Settings to Charging, Power Supply, File Transfers (this works), Photo Transfer and MIDI. Give it a go!

Last edited:

Kandydish

May 1, 2010
Atlanta
I have the same issue and can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. My work around has been to use ES File Explorer and open Remote Manager.

Edit: I just plugged it in again to see what I can find. I turned off USB Debugging and Developer Options. Plugged in and pulled the notification bar down, there is an option to change USB Settings to Charging, Power Supply, File Transfers (this works), Photo Transfer and MIDI. Give it a go!

I am running to the exact same problem.

I have tried with USB Debugging off AND on, still no go. I think there's a problem with installing the drivers. Whenever I check the device manager, it still says the drivers weren't installed. I have tried installing the Google drivers. What do we do?!

rramey23

Jul 29, 2010
I am running to the exact same problem.

I have tried with USB Debugging off AND on, still no go. I think there's a problem with installing the drivers. Whenever I check the device manager, it still says the drivers weren't installed. I have tried installing the Google drivers. What do we do?!

Need to get the drivers to install first and foremost. Even with USB Debugging on, I'm still able to pull down and change from charge only. Those drivers are key. I had to restart my computer before it was able to take the install.

Kandydish

May 1, 2010
Atlanta
Need to get the drivers to install first and foremost. Even with USB Debugging on, I'm still able to pull down and change from charge only. Those drivers are key. I had to restart my computer before it was able to take the install.

I'm able to get to the pulldown and change the setting from charging to MTP. Every time I do that, I get a window showing that I'm installing the drivers for Nexus 6P. Then it completes. I can do this over and over again. In the device manager, there's a little exclamation mark by the Nexus 6P and says these drivers weren't installed Code 28. I have exhausted Google to no avail!

Anyone find a solution to this?

zosimov21

Aug 22, 2012
Greensboro
I'm able to get to the pulldown and change the setting from charging to MTP. Every time I do that, I get a window showing that I'm installing the drivers for Nexus 6P. Then it completes. I can do this over and over again. In the device manager, there's a little exclamation mark by the Nexus 6P and says these drivers weren't installed Code 28. I have exhausted Google to no avail!

Anyone find a solution to this?

You chose to install the drivers manually instead of having the system do it for you? Right click the yellow exclamation .. update drivers .. allow me to pick .. choose the download file location see what that gives you.

Kandydish

May 1, 2010
Atlanta
You chose to install the drivers manually instead of having the system do it for you? Right click the yellow exclamation .. update drivers .. allow me to pick .. choose the download file location see what that gives you.

When I choose the location, I see a bunch of options. The most relevant ones are ADB Interface and Android Device. Under Android Device there are several more options such as Android Adapter Interface, Android Bootloader Interface, and the such; no mention of MTP. :confused:

zosimov21

Aug 22, 2012
Greensboro
When I choose the location, I see a bunch of options. The most relevant ones are ADB Interface and Android Device. Under Android Device there are several more options such as Android Adapter Interface, Android Bootloader Interface, and the such; no mention of MTP. :confused:
Did you already download the google USB drivers?
Should just be able to choose the android_winusb.inf driver. It should allow MTP

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 659
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 689

bartendersimon

Oct 28, 2008
Atlanta
I was having the same issue with my computer not detecting the my phone storage but then i remove the drivers from my samsung in the device manager and then right away detect my nexus 6p, no only i can see the storage but if i select how i want to connect (MTP, File trinsfer) it will change the connection type and folder
MTP - shows the pics folder
File transfer - it shows the storage

Sweet

Reactions: xSilas43

Kandydish

May 1, 2010
Atlanta
I was having the same issue with my computer not detecting the my phone storage but then i remove the drivers from my samsung in the device manager and then right away detect my nexus 6p, no only i can see the storage but if i select how i want to connect (MTP, File trinsfer) it will change the connection type and folder

Sweet

I don't have any other drivers from any other devices. This is a clean install of Windows 8.1. I've only tried connecting my 6P, my OG 6, and my 9. All have the exact same problem.

bartendersimon

Oct 28, 2008
Atlanta
Last edited:

Kandydish

May 1, 2010
Atlanta

bartendersimon

Oct 28, 2008
Atlanta
I installed that application and I was able to see my device, the apps, the contacts, everything. EXCEPT I wasn't able to access the device from Windows Explorer which means I am not able to transfer files.

So when you change the option in the phone from charging to file transfer, did you check the device manager to see if there any unknown device showing somewhere?

Kandydish

May 1, 2010
Atlanta
So when you change the option in the phone from charging to file transfer, did you check the device manager to see if there any unknown device showing somewhere?

Changing it from charging to MTP shows a MTP device in Manager with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. When looking into the details, it says that no drivers are installed. When I try "Updating Drivers", it says "Windows failed to install drivers. Code 28" or something along those lines. Code 28 MEANS that Windows failed to install drivers.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

Ronin2009

Apr 27, 2009
Nexus 6p Connection to PC Issue - This Helped!

I had similar problems with PC not recognising my Device. I found http://www.technobuzz.net/install-google-nexus-6p-usb-drivers/ which helped me solve my issues.

1. Downloaded and installed the Huawei Nexus 6p drivers. This installed a Huawei Task Manager which connection to pair was still not recognisable.

2. Deleted old drivers (acer, samsung, htc) from' Device Manager'. This actually helped PC recognise my device which showed up in the Device Manager>Other Devices>Nexus 6p, also in PC interface but once moved off charging to MTP, computer didnt recognise device.

3. Downloaded and installed the adb/fastboot installer. Followed instructions till step 10. My screen didn't show anything like Andoid ADB interface, it displayed MTP file install, which I installed. Just remember to refresh in My PC interface when changing over from charging to MTP, sometimes Nexus 6p will be hidden.

4. Uninstalled the Huawie Task Manager.

This has solved my problem with PC and Device connection. The instructions given are from what I can recall of the process I went through.

Credit to Sidharth Rathore from Technobuzz for this solution.

Hope this helps.

Later.
p.s. I have a windows 10 laptop if this helps.

Last edited:

xSilas43

Jun 25, 2013

Sweet
I was having the same issue until I uninstalled some other debugging drivers I had installed. So I would recommend crawling through your installed apps for any other android usb drivers and uninstalling them if you still have this issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sweet
    Working on mine right now. Found that USB 3.0 ports will not recognize device. Once plugged into a 2.0, it is recognized. Might help your issue
    I'm having the same problem with Windows 7, on both my work and home computers. PTP works, but MTP does not. I can't see my Nexus 6P in Windows Explorer when the phone is set to MTP. I tried everything suggested in this thread - removing all old drivers, reinstalling the Google driver, installing the Huawei driver, etc.

MTP has always worked fine with my Nexus 7 2013.

ADB and Fastboot work fine with my Nexus 6P. I was able to unlock the bootloader, flash the MDB08M factory image, and root my phone. I just can't use my computer to transfer files to and from my phone.
    None of the above worked for me on Win10.
    Steps 5-10 from the following link resolved this for me:
    http://www.technobuzz.net/setup-adb-fastboot-drivers-for-nexus-oneplus-samsung-or-any-android/
    I had similar problems with PC not recognising my Device. I found http://www.technobuzz.net/install-google-nexus-6p-usb-drivers/ which helped me solve my issues.

1. Downloaded and installed the Huawei Nexus 6p drivers. This installed a Huawei Task Manager which connection to pair was still not recognisable.

2. Deleted old drivers (acer, samsung, htc) from' Device Manager'. This actually helped PC recognise my device which showed up in the Device Manager>Other Devices>Nexus 6p, also in PC interface but once moved off charging to MTP, computer didnt recognise device.

3. Downloaded and installed the adb/fastboot installer. Followed instructions till step 10. My screen didn't show anything like Andoid ADB interface, it displayed MTP file install, which I installed. Just remember to refresh in My PC interface when changing over from charging to MTP, sometimes Nexus 6p will be hidden.

4. Uninstalled the Huawie Task Manager.

This has solved my problem with PC and Device connection. The instructions given are from what I can recall of the process I went through.

Credit to Sidharth Rathore from Technobuzz for this solution.

Hope this helps.

Later.
    p.s. I have a windows 10 laptop if this helps.

I had this same problem i tried this and it worked after installing the adb files I used NRT Restored with the latest Image 7.1.1 rebooted. I even got the RSA key prompt the notification also showed the N options for charging mtp. My Windows 10 PC even recolonized my Nexus 6P.