USB Tethering between android devices

Search This thread

Shedaim

Apr 11, 2018
Hi,

I've been trying for some time to share an internet connection between an android phone (tried with several phones) and an android Tablet (Samsung Active Tab 2).
Rooted the tablet (after some very long research) and tried the following methods:
1. Connect two devices with OTG connector, turned on RNDIS and configured both rndis0 interfaces to be on the same network (different IP addresses ofc) - no ping, nor udp messages (using a UDP Sender\Receiver app) go through.
2. Tried creating a VPN server on the host device (the one providing internet) which creates a tun0 interface that listens to the rndis0 interface - Could not connect to server.
3. Used "Easy Tether Lite" on both devices and managed to share internet, but limited to the Lite version which allowed the use of HTTP only - This shows that it can actually be done using only a USB cable and OTG adapter.

Would appreciate some help with this matter.

Thank you all,

EDIT: Was thinking this may be done using a different Ethernet interface instead of RNDIS. Any ideas?

Last edited:

mikuzz

Aug 7, 2016
Hi,

I've been trying for some time to share an internet connection between an android phone (tried with several phones) and an android Tablet (Samsung Active Tab 2).
Rooted the tablet (after some very long research) and tried the following methods:
1. Connect two devices with OTG connector, turned on RNDIS and configured both rndis0 interfaces to be on the same network (different IP addresses ofc) - no ping, nor udp messages (using a UDP Sender\Receiver app) go through.
2. Tried creating a VPN server on the host device (the one providing internet) which creates a tun0 interface that listens to the rndis0 interface - Could not connect to server.
3. Used "Easy Tether Lite" on both devices and managed to share internet, but limited to the Lite version which allowed the use of HTTP only - This shows that it can actually be done using only a USB cable and OTG adapter.

Would appreciate some help with this matter.

Thank you all,

EDIT: Was thinking this may be done using a different Ethernet interface instead of RNDIS. Any ideas?

hello,
I'm facing the same situation. I had the idea that option 1 should be easy but not.
The phone detect the tablet device and let me to activate the function "USB tethering" but nothing change on the tablet, impossible to navigate or ping.