USB Tethering on Linux problem solved

Search This thread

pmugabi

Nov 20, 2008
Kampala
I've had an issue tethering my WinMo 6.5 Energy ROM on an HTC Fuze with Linux. The connection itself was fine but browsing was flaky. Some sites worked while others did not.
I finally tracked it down to an MTU problem. You basically need to reduce your MTU size to get it to work (the lower the MTU size, the more packet overhead and hence lower effective throughput). The default MTU size was 1478, reducing it to 1200 solved the issues I was having. If your phone is connected as eth1, the command to change it is:

ifconfig eth1 mtu 1200

Last edited:
Reactions: hellnest

taker2

Mar 20, 2011
NEW YORK
I've had an issue tethering my WinMo 6.5 Energy ROM on an HTC Fuze with Linux. The connection itself was fine but browsing was flaky. Some sites worked while others did not.
I finally tracked it down to an MTU problem. You basically need to reduce your MTU size to get it to work (the lower the MTU size, the more packet overhead and hence lower effective throughput). The default MTU size was 1478, reducing it to 1200 solved the issues I was having. If your phone is connected as eth1, the command to change it is:

ifconfig eth1 mtu 1200

thank it works

taker2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ifconfig eth1 mtu 1200