• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Use square-up reader for other cards.

Search This thread

cracksmurf

Jan 16, 2009
Los Angeles
I was throwing this idea around, and was wondering if it would be possible to take the "Square Up" card reader and put it to other uses. Say perhaps reading data from a state license or other bar code wielding card. I would guess that its just a generic card reader, and would just be a matter of writing the software to present it's data in the correct manner. Anyone out there have the knowledge or software skills to make this possible?

rexar5

Dec 7, 2010
This is something I've been interested in working on as well. I haven't managed to get my hands on a square reader yet, but I'm hoping that the reader doesn't encode the info at all. Then you could simply record the audio from the card and play it back through an electro-magnet/current amp setup like this project instructables.com/id/Magnetic-stripe-card-spoofer/ This way, I could "record" my student ID and not have to worry about losing it and getting locked out of my dorm in 10 degree weather at 5 AM haha.

TLDR: Does anyone know if the reader encodes the card info at all, or if the audio is identical to the bitstream on the card and can simply be played back to send the same exact signal that's on the card.

josmul123

Jun 11, 2009
Okay, so I've been obsessing over this a bit lately... I came up with some results, but nothing that actually works yet.

There are two other projects that work with this. The first is mslib (https://github.com/ieatlint/mslib) which is used in the Symbian App MagRead, which already can use the square reader to read driver's licenses, rewards cards, etc. It doesn't support a wide range of card encodings, though.

The other one is a bit older. It's called magstripper (http://sourceforge.net/projects/magstripper/). It contains a java implementation (huge plus for Android development), and can do virtually any known card encoding, but doesn't seem to actually be able to decode recorded swipes made with the square reader (Maybe it's picky about noise? Either way... It's a big down side).

Has anyone come up with anything?

steve s

Nov 11, 2009
I hacked an app together which reads cards using the square reader. It doesn't do anything particularly fancy, just decodes tracks 1 and 2 according to the most common format.

To read track 1, you have to physically reposition the card in the reader with a shim to move the magnetic strip relative to the read head.

I'm hesitant to release it given the whole verifone brewhaha, and also because it's not particularly polished yet.

I will write up a description on my blog, though. I'll post here when that's done.

Feel free to email me to talk about it if you are working on something similar. [email protected]

steve s

Nov 11, 2009
As promised, I wrote up stuff about my app on my blog. I have decided not to publicly release the app or source code, but I did a fairly detailed writeup about what went into getting the data off the cards.

hxxp://cosmodro.me/blog/2011/mar/25/rhombus-square-iskewedi/

I'm not allowed to post links yet. You know how to fix the above.

alostpacket

Feb 7, 2010
NY
alostpacket.com
As promised, I wrote up stuff about my app on my blog. I have decided not to publicly release the app or source code, but I did a fairly detailed writeup about what went into getting the data off the cards.

Nice writeup. I know next to nothing about that stuff but it was a fun read regardless. Seems like a fun hack too.

I feel bad for the fun card though :(

vapermonkey

Sep 27, 2010
St Cloud MN
my idea 4 square up card reader

ok i want a app to unlock my phone with a card you pick card and setup app so that when you go to unlock the phone you will need a reader and a single card of your choice that would be cool

critofur

Jan 21, 2011
NYC/Tokyo
Ok, I need to use square readers, or some other readers to read college ID cards to allow students to clock in to their job, can anybody help out with source code? Is it hard to "de-compile" apps from the app store perhaps? There seem to be a number of them that will work with the Square Reader?

Thanks

ailsa00

Feb 18, 2016
Ok, I need to use square readers, or some other card reader to read college ID cards to allow students to clock in to their job, can anybody help out with source code? Is it hard to "de-compile" apps from the app store perhaps? There seem to be a number of them that will work with the Square Reader?

Thanks

Maybe you can directly use one card reader that can read and writer college student ID, such as SYNCOTEK SC-600P.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.