Using a HTC Desire BRAVO in 2016

Search This thread

Merken_

Aug 26, 2010
Hi Guys,

I recently came across two Desire handsets on the 2nd hand market.
The Desire was my first smartphone, so I got them to do some tinkering by flashing ROMs and maybe try to use one as a daily driver.

I've managed to get ADB and Fastboot working in Windows 10 (release version and anniversary update). I will post a tutorial later.

The issue I'm facing now, is the following :

• Managed to get S-OFF
  • Managed to gain root
  • Flashed 4EXT recovery
  • Flashed multiple ROMs, latest is OMNIROM
  • Using an microSD card of 4GB class 4

For this, I'm using A2SD, but this is painfully slow on a class 4 sd card.
Also, one must choose to either benefit storage over performance because of the slowness...

So I tried a class 10 16gb card, this does not get recognized in 4ext recovery. Can't mount /sdcard.

Is this a USB brick ? The 4gb class 4 works just fine.

cheers

WoBble12

Jan 24, 2016
Hi Guys,

I recently came across two Desire handsets on the 2nd hand market.
The Desire was my first smartphone, so I got them to do some tinkering by flashing ROMs and maybe try to use one as a daily driver.

I've managed to get ADB and Fastboot working in Windows 10 (release version and anniversary update). I will post a tutorial later.

The issue I'm facing now, is the following :

• Managed to get S-OFF
  • Managed to gain root
  • Flashed 4EXT recovery
  • Flashed multiple ROMs, latest is OMNIROM
  • Using an microSD card of 4GB class 4

For this, I'm using A2SD, but this is painfully slow on a class 4 sd card.
Also, one must choose to either benefit storage over performance because of the slowness...

So I tried a class 10 16gb card, this does not get recognized in 4ext recovery. Can't mount /sdcard.

cheers

I'm kind of sorry to post here as I do no have the knowledge to help you, however, my father can't install anymore apps on his old trusty desire because he is still on stock rom, and his device is not rooted nor S-offe'd, and I'm trying to do it for him. How did you get root and s-off? Most of the links out there are dead, which is understandable because this is a 2010 device.

No class card or capacity determines whether 4ext uses SD.
The controller inside the A8181 must cooperate with the controller in the memory card.
Just check a different card.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

I'm kind of sorry to post here as I do no have the knowledge to help you, however, my father can't install anymore apps on his old trusty desire because he is still on stock rom, and his device is not rooted nor S-offe'd, and I'm trying to do it for him. How did you get root and s-off? Most of the links out there are dead, which is understandable because this is a 2010 device.

Depending on the version hboot, you can make s-off by the htcdev (after logging in) or by AlphaRev and unrevoked.

Methods for upload 4ext recovery and upload root, look yourself in the forum.

Reactions: WoBble12

Merken_

Aug 26, 2010
Thanks for your reply, it would be strange that two Desires had the same issue.
So indeed, I guess it's a card issue.

The controller inside the A8181 must cooperate with the controller in the memory card.

Depending on the version hboot, you can make s-off by the htcdev (after logging in) or by AlphaRev and unrevoked.

HTCDev seems down at the moment, I got S-OFF via AlphaRev and ROOT via HTC Quick Root.

Merken_

Aug 26, 2010
USB Device not recognized - fix

This should work for any device you want to get recognized in Windows 10/Windows 8.1.

This tutorial is an update to the MSFT blogpost : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/us...ows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43/

Basically, we need to allow Windows to recognize this device, this is similar to whitelisting.

*EDIT* Please have the correct device drivers at your disposal, you should be able to install these after the device was recognized.

1. Download Microsoft Message Analyzer (MMA) : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44226

2. Install correct version (x64 for 64 bit systems, if applicable) NEXT, NEXT, FINISH

3. Open up device manager via command prompt : Windows-key, 'mmc devmgmt.msc', enter

4. Connect your device

5. You device will not get recognized and will appear with getBOSDescriptor failed or USB device not recognized

6. Disconnect device

7. Launch MMA, No not update items, No I do not want to participate

8. Click on 'New Session' on the start page

9. Select 'Live trace'

10. In EWT providers, 'Select Scenario', select 'DEVICE', 'USB 2'

10.1 In case you are using a USB 3 port to recognize the device, select 'USB 3'

11. Press Start and connect your device once the trace has started

12. Once the message window 'USB device not recognized' appears, stop the trace

13. Now we need to dig into the tracing logs

14. Add a column by right-clicking on any column header and select 'Add Columns'

15. In the field chooser search bar type : 'usbdevice'

16. Select 'UsbDevice' from the Global Properties

17. Now right-click on the UsbDevice column and select Group

18. Enter the following in the filter field : '*GetDeviceDescriptor.DeviceDescriptor.bcdUSB > 0x0200' and press 'Apply'

19. You should see results with 'Get Full Device Descriptor' in the summary column

20. Select any of these results, I took the first one

21. In the details below, open the DeviceDescriptor section

22. Please note down the values for the following names: idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice

23. These should be something like : '0x04E8', '0x6601', '0x0100'

24. Remove the '0x' from each of those values, this should give you '04E8', '6601', '0100' for the idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice respectively.

25. Now make one value by concatenating these together : '04E866010100'

26. Open the Registry editor : Windows-key, 'regedit', enter

27. Drill down to the following path : 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags'

28. Right-click on the 'usbflags' folder and select 'New', 'Key'

29. Enter your concatenated value : '04E866010100' and press enter

30. Find your newly created key and create a new DWORD value in the second section of the registry editor : right-click, New, DWORD (32 bit) Value

31. Name it 'SkipBOSDescriptorQuery' and open it after creation (double click)

32. For value data, enter '1' and press 'OK'

33. Disconnect your device and reconnect, it should be recognized now

DISCLAIMER
---------------

Download mode, Recovery, USB Debugging : all these modes have different Device Descriptors, you will need to repeat this process for every mode you want to use your device in Windows 10/8.1

I've managed to get this working on my pc running Windows 10 (1511) and the following devices :

Samsung GT-I9001
HTC DESIRE BRAVO
HTC DESIRE HD
MOTO G XT1032

Please thank me in case this helped you.

Last edited:
Reactions: aiorasmik and SV_25

Merken_

Aug 26, 2010
Hi All,

I managed to get my SD card recognized, just because 4EXT says it couldn't mount /sdcard, does not mean the card is faulty.
The card needed to be partitioned correctly, I was able to do this in 4EXT recovery using Tools => partition sd card (1536, skip, 512 swap) in 4ext fs.

Then, my card behaved badly, slowly, so I fixed this using this method :

1. Mount card on PC (via cardreader) and clear all partitions (Minitool Partition Magic)
2. Create one FAT32 partition
3. Format using SDFormatter (Full Erase)
4. Put card in Phone and format using 4EXT

Now my card is back to decent speeds!

Thanks

Reactions: aiorasmik

oscarxp

Oct 28, 2016
Also, I find this to be the most enjoyable ROM : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2549776

I couldn't get the lollipop rom to boot...

Is that rom u using updated with latest security patches? Also someone told me to try this ROM

Im looking for the best ROM to save my young sisters HTC Desire A8181 before i root it.

Rom i have been told
http://xdaforums.com/htc-desire/development/rom-slimkat-slimmest-fastest-rom-htc-t3283117

Can u also send me instructions on how u rooted your HTC Desire Please

Merken_

Aug 26, 2010
Is that rom u using updated with latest security patches? Also someone told me to try this ROM

Im looking for the best ROM to save my young sisters HTC Desire A8181 before i root it.

Rom i have been told
http://xdaforums.com/htc-desire/development/rom-slimkat-slimmest-fastest-rom-htc-t3283117

Hi Oscar,

I've rooted two HTC desires lately, they are both PVT1 GSM models.
Are you able to connect them via USB to your PC ? In fastboot and adb ? Because that would be required for this.

Firstly, I downloaded the original RUU for the device and flashed that. This way you are sure your drivers are working.

Then, I used revolutionary to S-OFF the device (see attachment). Beta key : 5yvJyRJMl77Pl5SU

For root, I used HTC QuickRoot (see attachment).

Lastly, I flashed 4EXT recovery via fastboot (Rename recovery.img.zip to recovery.img):
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Then it was all set, I found a fast SD card (class 10) formatted it in 4EXT and installed the KitKang ROM with a2sd (Y,Y,N) including app data to SD.
The rom is not buttery smooth, but is surely managable for light daily usage (whatsapp, outlook, internet)...

Good luck

Attachments

• HTC_QuickRoot_1.1.13_Release.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • revolutionary-0.4pre4.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • recovery.img.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 42
Reactions: oscarxp

oscarxp

Oct 28, 2016
Also, I find this to be the most enjoyable ROM : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2549776

I couldn't get the lollipop rom to boot...

Hi Oscar,

Are you able to connect them via USB to your PC ? In fastboot and adb ? Because that would be required for this.

Firstly, I downloaded the original RUU for the device and flashed that. This way you are sure your drivers are working.

Then, I used revolutionary to S-OFF the device (see attachment). Beta key : 5yvJyRJMl77Pl5SU

Lastly, I flashed 4EXT recovery via fastboot (Rename recovery.img.zip to recovery.img):

Then it was all set, I found a fast SD card (class 10) formatted it in 4EXT and installed the KitKang ROM with a2sd (Y,Y,N) including app data to SD.
The rom is not buttery smooth, but is surely managable for light daily usage (whatsapp, outlook, internet)...

Good luck

Thanks will try that :)

Rezei

Dec 30, 2015
Hello, is this still alive?

Can someone help me with rooting my telekom branded desire? My main problem i think is that when my PC tries to recognize it while its in the bootloader it just says "Last USB-Device was not recognized.". I dont know what to do.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Hello. Hope this is still alive. Can someone help me with rooting my telekom branded desire? My main problem is that my PC does not recognize the Phone when its in bootloader/fastboot mode. The text flashes from Fastboot -> Fastboot USB and stays at just Fastboot and my PC says the device was not recognized. Please help if possible

vegetagaru

Dec 8, 2016
hello
im trying to get it done, ive done all steps but allways getting the "device failed enumeration" any other solution ?

AbstractMind87

Mar 15, 2011
SC
HTC One X
AT&T LG Optimus G
This should work for any device you want to get recognized in Windows 10/Windows 8.1.

This tutorial is an update to the MSFT blogpost : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/us...ows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43/

Basically, we need to allow Windows to recognize this device, this is similar to whitelisting.

*EDIT* Please have the correct device drivers at your disposal, you should be able to install these after the device was recognized.

1. Download Microsoft Message Analyzer (MMA) : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44226

2. Install correct version (x64 for 64 bit systems, if applicable) NEXT, NEXT, FINISH

3. Open up device manager via command prompt : Windows-key, 'mmc devmgmt.msc', enter

4. Connect your device

5. You device will not get recognized and will appear with getBOSDescriptor failed or USB device not recognized

6. Disconnect device

9. Select 'Live trace'

14. Add a column by right-clicking on any column header and select 'Add Columns'

18. Enter the following in the filter field : '*GetDeviceDescriptor.DeviceDescriptor.bcdUSB > 0x0200' and press 'Apply'

19. You should see results with 'Get Full Device Descriptor' in the summary column

22. Please note down the values for the following names: idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice

24. Remove the '0x' from each of those values, this should give you '04E8', '6601', '0100' for the idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice respectively.

27. Drill down to the following path : 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags'

30. Find your newly created key and create a new DWORD value in the second section of the registry editor : right-click, New, DWORD (32 bit) Value

DISCLAIMER
---------------

Download mode, Recovery, USB Debugging : all these modes have different Device Descriptors, you will need to repeat this process for every mode you want to use your device in Windows 10/8.1

I've managed to get this working on my pc running Windows 10 (1511) and the following devices :

Samsung GT-I9001
HTC DESIRE BRAVO
HTC DESIRE HD
MOTO G XT1032

I followed that to the very letter, went over it multiple times and it still didnt help, soon as the device recognized, it did it again with the yellow flag and still not recognized, this is for a HTC One M7 mind you, but the theory was still the same as you performed it on Two Desire family devices. Any ideas on what else to try?

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

hello
im trying to get it done, ive done all steps but allways getting the "device failed enumeration" any other solution ?

Same boat, you tried anything else since trying those steps?

EVGENIJ88

May 26, 2016
Ok, now it works, i have my serial. But i cant't click on Generate key by the site of revolutionary.io. I'm use the site with archive.org... Need beta key! :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    USB Device not recognized - fix

4. Connect your device

6. Disconnect device

9. Select 'Live trace'

DISCLAIMER
    ---------------

Samsung GT-I9001
    HTC DESIRE BRAVO
    HTC DESIRE HD
    MOTO G XT1032

HTCDev seems down at the moment, I got S-OFF via AlphaRev and ROOT via HTC Quick Root.

If you did so, it is good practice to thank lyriquidperfection by clicking on THANKS icon in the first post in the thread HTC Quick Root - For ALL HTC Devices.
    Hi All,

I managed to get my SD card recognized, just because 4EXT says it couldn't mount /sdcard, does not mean the card is faulty.
    The card needed to be partitioned correctly, I was able to do this in 4EXT recovery using Tools => partition sd card (1536, skip, 512 swap) in 4ext fs.

Then, my card behaved badly, slowly, so I fixed this using this method :

1. Mount card on PC (via cardreader) and clear all partitions (Minitool Partition Magic)
    2. Create one FAT32 partition
    3. Format using SDFormatter (Full Erase)
    4. Put card in Phone and format using 4EXT

Now my card is back to decent speeds!

Thanks

Rom i have been told

Hi Oscar,

Good luck