Using Active2 LTE with an independent phone plan

Search This thread

TwistyValhalla

Nov 24, 2012
Vancouver
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm using RM-R835F (this is LTE capable) which is paired to my phone using BT. My career currently doesn't support numbershare so I can't set LTE up from the phone Galaxy Wear app (I'm in Canada).

What I want to do is to get a new plan for the watch with a separate number and everything. So the watch should have a separate phone number and data plan.

I saw some steps to use the watch completely independent of the phone. However I want to keep getting app notifications from the phone over BT. For talk, text and data from the watch, I want to use the separate plan and number for the watch.

Is there a way to achieve this? I searched around but couldn't find a way so far.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

sergmarin

Feb 18, 2010
Moscow
I use separate from the phone plane with indepedent number. I have all notifications from phone and use watches for calls and sms from its esim phone number. Set Always On in mobile settings on watch.
P.S? It may cause battery drain due always on mobile network on the watches.

LuvrGirl

Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Can you provide the steps you followed for this?

Thanks.
On the watch just go into settings, connections, mobile networks and set mobile networks to always on. Make sure mobile data is on as well (right below mobile networks). Then under connections menu check to make sure under data usage, mobile data is on as well.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Note8 [SM-N950U] using Tapatalk

sergmarin

Feb 18, 2010
Moscow
On the watch just go into settings, connections, mobile networks and set mobile networks to always on. Make sure mobile data is on as well (right below mobile networks). Then under connections menu check to make sure under data usage, mobile data is on as well.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Note8 [SM-N950U] using Tapatalk

He means steps to connect esim with indepedent number. In my country no one operator have possibility to work in watch officially (menu with QR code is hidden). So we get to this menu by simple manipulations.
Here is an instruction:
1. Go to Galaxy Wearable on your phone -> at the bottom of the list, select "About Galaxy Wearable" -> tap quickly 5 times on the label " Galaxy Watch Plugin"
2. In the menu that opens, go to the "Test SIM Feature" section and turn on the "Current QR TestMode" and "Current Test Mode" items (the later may not be necessary)
3. Go Galaxy Wearable on your phone to "Mobile networks" - > select any SIM card
4. After the window displays that "failed", a button appears at the bottom of the screen, now you can to connect any esim card by scanning QR code.

Last edited:

defeat2

Jun 20, 2009
He means steps to connect esim with indepedent number. In my country no one operator have possibility to work in watch officially (menu with QR code is hidden). So we get to this menu by simple manipulations.
Here is an instruction:
1. Go to Galaxy Wearable on your phone -> at the bottom of the list, select "About Galaxy Wearable" -> tap quickly 5 times on the label " Galaxy Watch Plugin"
2. In the menu that opens, go to the "Test SIM Feature" section and turn on the "Current QR TestMode" and "Current Test Mode" items (the latter may not be necessary)
3. Go Galaxy Wearable on your phone to "Mobile networks" - > select any SIM card
4. After the window displays that "failed", a button appears at the bottom of the screen, now you can to connect any esim card by csanning QR code.

Wow thank you so much!!

TwistyValhalla

Nov 24, 2012
Vancouver
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Here is an instruction:
2. In the menu that opens, go to the "Test SIM Feature" section and turn on the "Current QR TestMode" and "Current Test Mode" items (the later may not be necessary)
4. After the window displays that "failed", a button appears at the bottom of the screen, now you can to connect any esim card by scanning QR code.

Thanks! I have enabled the option on my phone. I'll get a QR code and give it a go today. 👍

Update: Got my esim from a provider in Canada that's not officially supported by Samsung. However calls and texts seem to work just fine after adding the plan to watch. Haven't tried using data yet.

Last edited:

defeat2

Jun 20, 2009
I use separate from the phone plane with indepedent number. I have all notifications from phone and use watches for calls and sms from its esim phone number. Set Always On in mobile settings on watch.
P.S? It may cause battery drain due always on mobile network on the watches.

I just recieved my eSim and it worked fine to add it to the watch, it got reception etc. However to activate it the carrier want's me to give the a code they send via sms. Can the watch recieve sms from both its separate number and the phones number?? The watch never recieves the sms from my carrier.. :(

inningsdefeat500

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
Here is an instruction:

is it better to buy an International version in that case?

JohnNadeau

Sep 2, 2016
Here is an instruction:

Thanks @sergmarin very interesting and helpful!

One minor edit on getting to those options:

1. Go to Galaxy Wearable on your phone -> Press the Menu Icon at the Top/Left -> at the bottom of the list, select "About Galaxy Wearable" -> tap quickly 5 times on the label " Galaxy Watch Plugin"
4. After the window displays that "failed", a button appears at the bottom of the screen, now you can to connect any esim card by scanning QR code.[/QUOTE]

danergo

Sep 14, 2017
Guys, please help me!

I tried these settings but something I f*cked up.
Now In step3, "select any sim card" is not possible for me, because it always uses some weird test data :(((

So when I hit "Add mobile plan", it is not asking anything just goes ahead and tries activating some silly test plan :(

Is there a way out without wiping the phone to 0? And probably trashing it away..

Alfiedog

May 10, 2020
Hi if you have already scanned the esim QR code then you need to ask your provider to generate another or find another esin somewhere as the QR can normally only be use once on many providers.
The watch can only hold 2 esim profiles so look under settings mobile plans to see if any are present ... and if required make space by deleting UNUSED esim plans.....

when you have checked that you will have space for the new esim profile ...proceed as described above ....by the other members...

but follow carefully and it should work ...

danergo

Sep 14, 2017
Hi if you have already scanned the esim QR code then you need to ask your provider to generate another or find another esin somewhere as the QR can normally only be use once on many providers.
The watch can only hold 2 esim profiles so look under settings mobile plans to see if any are present ... and if required make space by deleting UNUSED esim plans.....

when you have checked that you will have space for the new esim profile ...proceed as described above ....by the other members...

but follow carefully and it should work ...

I haven't already scanned the esim QR. I just tapped 5 times on the plugin version, and looked around in that menu.

Before that, when I hit "Add mobile plan", my phone showed a dialog asking which plan I want to use (my phone holds 2 SIM).

But after I went into that hidden menu and tried some options there, my phone is not asking which plan I want to use.
And analysing the watch's SDB log, I can see that it tries activating a mobile plan which is not on my phone. It is the test plan I might selected when I was in that hidden plugin menu.

That's why I'm asking if you are aware of any option which could help my phone to get back it's "normal" operation and ask my desire of which mobile plan I want to activate.

Alfiedog

May 10, 2020
after clicking 5 times on the plugin version a new menu pops up
if you have then selected QR testmode then go back to the main wear app you should get asked to scan a QR code with the phone cam when you select manage mobile plan ....note i normally reboot the phine after changing the test qr code.

to reset to nornal just click 5 times on plugin version then deselect QR testmode and any other options you have clicked in the past then reboot the ohone and then load the wear app again ..the next time you select manage mobile plan the app will try to add a mobile plan from your phones sim provider as normal...

danergo

Sep 14, 2017
First I haven't even selected QR testmode, I only looked into that menu, and tried selecting options within Automatic eSIM. I clicked eSim Auto Test, and selected an operator there. After that I clicked on "Reset auto test values".

After that wearable app is not asking me which SIM I want to use during "Add mobile plan" and it uses by default that test MCC and MNC which I selected in "Auto Test" in plugin's hidden menu.

I tried restarting the phone, the watch. Tried completely removing wearables, and reinstalling, this made my watch reset to factory as well.

Even after this process, wearable is not asking me which SIM I want to use.

Now after all, I finally succeed with activation with QR code, and don't want (can) add more plans to the watch, so I'm satisfied, just wanted to let you know that you can really have chance screwing up things in that menu!

danergo

Sep 14, 2017
Guys, this method is not working anymore as the updated Wearable app doesn't contain this 5tap-magic.

Do you know any other way to enable the QR-testmode with the latest wearable app (2.2.42.21.083061 + watch active2 plugin: 2.2.08.21081751)

Is (was) this menu implemented in the plugin or the wearable app? I'm trying to find the spots in the apks.

Thx