Using Samsung Pay on S3 *without* phone being present

Search This thread

scoob101

Jan 19, 2006
So I understand that you can use Pay on the S3 even when your phone isn't with you. In this case, you will have to enter a PIN number to use pay. I am in the UK.

My question is:: Is there a limit to the number of transactions that you can perform away from the phone before it stops working - in a similar fashion to the limitation to number of contactless payments you can make using the debit/credit card before you are forced to use chip and pin?

I'm sure that if you have the LTE version with an esim card, you don't have any limit since they have there own data and don't have to be connected to a phone all the time. Every purchase I have made with mine has required me to use my pin to make a purchase even with my phone on me. I have the T-Mobile version

Sent from my wickedly kewl Galaxy S8+ using my fingers. Duh!!!

afblangley

Jan 11, 2013
I make almost all my purchases (75+ transactions per month) with my watch and I never carry a phone. A phone is not needed. The watch doesn't even need cellular service. The BT only models can do S Pay.

There is a set number of transactions that can be done before the watch must be synced with the phone. I haven't kept track, but I've run up against the limit. When that happens, any further attempts will result in declined transactions for that card. If you have multiple cards, those that haven't reached the limit will continue to work.

During one of the more recent Tizen updates, the watch gained the ability to require PIN entry only prior to the first use of S Pay after the watch has been taken off. So when I strap it on in the morning, I only have to enter the PIN when I make my first purchase of the day.

I am in the US, YMMV in the UK.

Reactions: SiNJiN76

johnwayne27

Jan 31, 2015
Works for me too. Frontier s3 BT only. I love being able to use any card reader and not only the Samsung pay ones only :)

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I make almost all my purchases (75+ transactions per month) with my watch and I never carry a phone. A phone is not needed. The watch doesn't even need cellular service. The BT only models can do S Pay.

There is a set number of transactions that can be done before the watch must be synced with the phone. I haven't kept track, but I've run up against the limit. When that happens, any further attempts will result in declined transactions for that card. If you have multiple cards, those that haven't reached the limit will continue to work.

During one of the more recent Tizen updates, the watch gained the ability to require PIN entry only prior to the first use of S Pay after the watch has been taken off. So when I strap it on in the morning, I only have to enter the PIN when I make my first purchase of the day.

I am in the US, YMMV in the UK.