Using XZ1c without battery

Search This thread

pajry

Nov 23, 2011
Pardubice
Hi I'm using stock XZ1 Compact as 3d print server through Octo4a, but having it connected and running 24/7 is probably not exactly battery friendly. Would it possible to disconnect the battery and use it on USB power only?
I tried it with my older stock Z3c, but it wouldn't even boot.
I'm not an electrician and i'm quite out of the loop with custom ROMs and firmwares, the last time I used one was on X10 mini pro.
I would be glad for any advice.

Reactions: 4qx

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
It's not designed to function that way. Not even sure you can sink enough current to run the phone on just port power only. These devices can have high current spikes when running and especially booting up. If the required current isn't available on demand they will crash.

Hooking in a well regulated 4(?) VDC power supply directly to the battery input (less battery) may be an option. It must be able to support peak current loads.
A ultra capacitor in place of the battery may work if the primary power source provides enough power most of the time and it's compatible with the phone's power controller.

Rather then doing all that I probably hook it up to a brick that has enough watts for it to run continuously with the battery in place. Replace battery as needed which will be more frequent because of the constant high cell voltage. This may or may not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4qx

pajry

Nov 23, 2011
Pardubice
Right now I have it connected to 20W wall charger, through PD OTG dongle, that does keep it running and allows USB connection to the printer.
But I was more worried about possible fire hazard of charging it 24/7, rather than battery going bad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi I'm using stock XZ1 Compact as 3d print server through Octo4a, but having it connected and running 24/7 is probably not exactly battery friendly. Would it possible to disconnect the battery and use it on USB power only?
    I tried it with my older stock Z3c, but it wouldn't even boot.
    I'm not an electrician and i'm quite out of the loop with custom ROMs and firmwares, the last time I used one was on X10 mini pro.
    I would be glad for any advice.
    It's not designed to function that way. Not even sure you can sink enough current to run the phone on just port power only. These devices can have high current spikes when running and especially booting up. If the required current isn't available on demand they will crash.

Hooking in a well regulated 4(?) VDC power supply directly to the battery input (less battery) may be an option. It must be able to support peak current loads.
    A ultra capacitor in place of the battery may work if the primary power source provides enough power most of the time and it's compatible with the phone's power controller.

Rather then doing all that I probably hook it up to a brick that has enough watts for it to run continuously with the battery in place. Replace battery as needed which will be more frequent because of the constant high cell voltage. This may or may not work.