[UTIL][FEB 26, 2022] Apktool - Tool for reverse engineering apk files

Search This thread

Thebear j koss

Hi Devs, umh..I..I had a question dont know if i'm at the right place but with andro 11 Airplane Mode does not turn off WiFi & bluetooth also Sensors Off (under Quick Settings Developer Tiles) does not turn off WiF & BT. A Faraday Pouch I heard is an alternate option people use but I was wondering if -
1> Is there any secret paid root app that can force WiFi & BT to go offline?
2> Is there any secret paid root app that can force cutoff power supply from the battery to the handroid device?
3> Is there any secret paid app that can get inside system partition and clean up the stored location traces before its synced to gugle & 3rd party servers?
4> Is there any secret paid app out there that can fake geolocation like a fake FusedLocation11 apk or fake FusedLocationProvider11 apk xxxxxx Mod Edit: Some content removed.

Definitely wrong place. This is for apktool which decodes apks for theming or modification purposes. But if your airplane mode doesn't turn off wifi and data then your airplane mode is broken. And all these questions about secret apps that seem to me like you just don't want to be found, just turn off location services in settings and get a VPN. xxxxxxx
Mod Edit: Some content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mordechay

Apr 18, 2022
Can you help me with that?

Thebear j koss

Can you help me with that?
Need more info, device? ROM? Android version? Stock?

Thebear j koss

I wrote: android 12

yes
Where? Nowhere in your post does it give any info. Just can you help me with this and links to something. I'm not clicking to find out what it is. If you would like help post as much info as possible Saying you are stock Android 12 is not enough. What device? Do you have a Pixel? Outside of a Google device, I'm not sure apktool works on any other devices on Android 12. If you are using a different device, like a Samsung, did you install all necessary files to use apktool? Usually when you get a @null it means apktool didn't find the proper attribute I believe which may be located in a proprietary framework that would also need to be installed into apktool. Your log doesn't provide much info either. Post a full log and not just the error.

Mordechay

Apr 18, 2022
1655639042069.png

If you are using a different device, like a Samsung, did you install all necessary files to use apktool?​
Not Samsung, what files need to be installed besides framework-res.apk?
Outside of a Google device, I'm not sure apktool works on any other devices on Android 12​
Is there a replacement for apktool that works on Android 12?
Can you try to compile yourself? (I uploaded the framework and the app)

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
View attachment 5641123

Not Samsung, what files need to be installed besides framework-res.apk?

Is there a replacement for apktool that works on Android 12?
Can you try to compile yourself? (I uploaded the framework and the app)

Hi!

So it looks like your problem isn't that you can't compile mtksettings.apk...but that it wasn't decompiled fully in the first place.
I agree with my esteemed colleague's reply - this is most likely down to inadequate framework files.

In pure Android, you only need to install framework-res.apk before decompiling but other manufacturers like to add their own framework files as well. The most famous one is Samsung but a lot of others do it as well.
I don't have your phone so I've no idea what, if any, additional frameworks you have on it. But have a look in "system/framework/" for any apk file with 'res' in the filename.
If you have any, then install those as well then decompile your file and try compiling it.

This might fix the issue, it might not. But it will eliminate one of the possible causes.

The other thing to do is to try using apktool on its own, not a third party tool.
This isn't meant as a criticism of APK Easytool (despite my probable bias) but it's because we don't know how that tool works. It's not impossible there's something about it that is contributing to the issue.
If you use apktool on its own then we know that's another possible cause eliminated.

Lastly....I know it's a pain providing lots of detail about these problems and I know it can seem like that error log is enough. The trouble is that there are just so many phones and so many roms and so many variations of, well, everything that we do need a lot of information to help you.
It's not meant as an insult. We do want to help if we can, we just need a bit more detail to do so.

Please try my advice above and let us know what happens. Hopefully that'll either solve the issue or get us a big step closer to doing so.

Mordechay

Apr 18, 2022
In pure Android, you only need to install framework-res.apk before decompiling but other manufacturers like to add their own framework files as well. The most famous one is Samsung but a lot of others do it as well.
I don't have your phone so I've no idea what, if any, additional frameworks you have on it. But have a look in "system/framework/" for any apk file with 'res' in the filename.
If you have any, then install those as well then decompile your file and try compiling it.​
I knew that, but there are no more apk files.
The other thing to do is to try using apktool on its own, not a third party tool.
This isn't meant as a criticism of APK Easytool (despite my probable bias) but it's because we don't know how that tool works. It's not impossible there's something about it that is contributing to the issue.
If you use apktool on its own then we know that's another possible cause eliminated.​

I have used both and have the same errors.
astly....I know it's a pain providing lots of detail about these problems and I know it can seem like that error log is enough. The trouble is that there are just so many phones and so many roms and so many variations of, well, everything that we do need a lot of information to help you.​
If I upload the framework folder will it help?

It's not meant as an insult. We do want to help if we can, we just need a bit more detail to do so.
thanks!

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
I knew that, but there are no more apk files.

I have used both and have the same errors.

If I upload the framework folder will it help?

thanks!
You're welcome to upload it, sure. But I can't actually do anything for a few days (limited computer access).
What might help is knowing what device you're using. And if you're using a stock rom or a third-party rom. Most of the time those two bits of information will be enough to work if there any other framework files you'll need.

Reactions: plegdroid

Mordechay

Apr 18, 2022
You're welcome to upload it, sure. But I can't actually do anything for a few days (limited computer access).
What might help is knowing what device you're using. And if you're using a stock rom or a third-party rom. Most of the time those two bits of information will be enough to work if there any other framework files you'll need.​
I uploaded.
In github in apktool write a bug tag Does this mean that it is indeed an error in the source code of apktool?

Thebear j koss

I uploaded.
In github in apktool write a bug tag Does this mean that it is indeed an error in the source code of apktool?

Your issue on github has indeed been marked as a bug by apktool's developer.
That means there's nothing we can do until a solution to that bug is found. Just keep an eye on the github page.
Still have no idea what device and ROM is installed... If the error is just that 1 line (I don't think it is that 1 error) just change that attribute to something else. Wouldn't @null point to nothing anyway?

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Still have no idea what device and ROM is installed... If the error is just that 1 line (I don't think it is that 1 error) just change that attribute to something else. Wouldn't @null point to nothing anyway?
Looking at the error log it seems to be every single attribute that's set to @null...and there's hundreds of them so manually changing them to something else could be a little tedious.

You're right that we still don't have enough information to help with this one but it's in ibotpeaches' hands now so we've done what we can.

Reactions: Thebear j koss

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
What to write instead of @null?
We would have no idea. You would need to write whatever value is supposed to be there. The only people who know what that is are the people who developed the app.

There can be literally hundreds of attributes defined in that file - there's no way anyone else would have a clue what they are.

All you can do is wait for the bug to be fixed.

Thebear j koss

What to write instead of @null?

We would have no idea. You would need to write whatever value is supposed to be there. The only people who know what that is are the people who developed the app.

There can be literally hundreds of attributes defined in that file - there's no way anyone else would have a clue what they are.

All you can do is wait for the bug to be fixed.
Theoretically you could use a previous 1 that worked and see if they match up. Problem is with material you, so many attributes have changed so it might not work. But on old Samsung days, most of the missing attributes or duplicate attributes could be changed using the previous working apk for the same app as most of them never really changed much anyways. Also, we had to use an older apktool to decode some Samsung apps which someone here had found out. So you could try a different apktool to see if that works. Sometimes trying different things will give unexpected results.

Thebear j koss

Which pc hardware would help me speed up decompilation/building?
Nothing really. The process takes a bit depending on apk size. Usually as long as apktool, smali/baksmali, and Java are kept updated it works fine. But I would presume that a faster processor would gain you some time but you won't gain much. How long does it take you to decompile apps? Some apps like framework and larger apps will take longer.

Reactions: Ticklefish

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Which pc hardware would help me speed up decompilation/building?
investigate what is your current roadblock/limit to performance. Is your CPU running at full tilt, is your hard-drive bogging down? I am assuming your not using a network or USB drive. there are other limiting factors, but CPU & Hard drive are the first two I would investigate. Especially since its not GPU intensive like a 3D game. Computers normally try and run things as fast as they can, and are usually slowed down while waiting on other components. eg your CPU wont be fully utilised if its waiting on data from your hard drive.

Reactions: Ticklefish

joshAll

Jun 24, 2022
Nothing really. The process takes a bit depending on apk size. Usually as long as apktool, smali/baksmali, and Java are kept updated it works fine. But I would presume that a faster processor would gain you some time but you won't gain much. How long does it take you to decompile apps? Some apps like framework and larger apps will take longer.
I have a decent pc. It takes me around a minute to decompile an apk. But i use the too a lot during my work. Any increase in speed would help me to speed up my iteration time.

Top Liked Posts