[UTIL] One Click Lag Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekwall

Feb 3, 2010
Uppsala
You (and everyone else) are granted full permission to use anything I have done with or without credit for anything at all. Go wild! :D
Cool mate ;) same goes for my stuff! Btw. good work with the fix! I do however recommend using mount instead of symlink. Should be better performance, but a bit slower startup since it has to mount on every boot.

SkulleD_PT

Aug 2, 2010
Lisbon
PC 1 click method Lag fix used. Quadrant: 2000 :D

Major freaking win! Thanks! The guy that did this fix has the same value as samsung for putting such an awesome hardware piece :)

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Cool mate ;) same goes for my stuff! Btw. good work with the fix! I do however recommend using mount instead of symlink. Should be better performance, but a bit slower startup since it has to mount on every boot.
Is there really a performance difference? I guess the OS has to look up the symlink each time? Good point, didn't really think about it!

mekwall

Feb 3, 2010
Uppsala
Is there really a performance difference? I guess the OS has to look up the symlink each time? Good point, didn't really think about it!
Well... I guess it does since I got 2813 with my fix. I think that's the highest anyone have got so far ;)

I'm also thinking about doing a hybrid-fix with having some of the stuff on the external SD as well. Perhaps have system, app and app-private there? This would probably boost performance even more since you will be using two separate storage devices which would give you more bandwidth to work with... Also better for multitasking.

I'm also looking into that kernel with yaffs2 support that rasdeep released. Using yaffs2 instead of ext2 should boost it even more!

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Hey guys

I have been playing around with using /sdcard (The internal SD card you see always, where all your data goes) as the data store.

This TECHTEST lag fix is identical to the regular lag fix, but instead of using 1GB in /data, it uses 3GB in /sdcard.

Performance scores are nearly identical between the regular lag fix and this one. This indicates to me that the RFS partition is very very similar to the VFAT32 partition for /sdcard. This fix has some annoying issues that I haven't been able to solve well enough to make this a real release of any kind, so I'm just throwing it out in it's most basic form for anybody who wants to play with.

Problems with this fix:

VFAT32 has no journaling - could be bad for data loss. I haven't seen any data loss yet in tests, but data loss is a lot more likely in this fix than in the regular one.

The data file is on /sdcard - this means it can be up to 18GB big!
This also means that when you mount your internal SD card onto your PC, your device will crash. ;)

Anyway, this fix is interesting for technical purposes (regarding speeds of VFAT32 and RFS), so here it is. (16GB of application data?! Woohoo.. uhh.. I don't think there are even enough applications available to use all of this. :( )

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
i like this idea, to have the private stuff on the External microSD, makes it easier for manual backup, safety, wipe on deman, etc

Well... I guess it does since I got 2813 with my fix. I think that's the highest anyone have got so far ;)

I'm also thinking about doing a hybrid-fix with having some of the stuff on the external SD as well. Perhaps have system, app and app-private there? This would probably boost performance even more since you will be using two separate storage devices which would give you more bandwidth to work with... Also better for multitasking.

I'm also looking into that kernel with yaffs2 support that rasdeep released. Using yaffs2 instead of ext2 should boost it even more!

Tayutama

May 21, 2010
Helsinge
I want permission from RyanZA and Tayutama since I've used much of their work, and also need some people to test it out so I can squash some bugs.
Ill take a look though your scripts :)

Btw you don't really need to ask me for permissions as all i did was make an update.zip out of RyanZA's stuff (And ofc added root + right version of busybox)

If you want ill supply you with an update.zip that only includes su, superuser.apk and the right busybox version as the one you included atm also include ase and the scripts which i'm working on cleaning abit up atm.

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB

Woah.. huge difference for mount vs symlinks?!

yaffs2 native partition on the internal SD card would be awesome. Using yaffs2 instead of ext2 as a virtual drive probably won't help performance. Worth testing though! :D

mekwall

Feb 3, 2010
Uppsala
Ill take a look though your scripts :)

Btw you don't really need to ask me for permissions as all i did was make an update.zip out of RyanZA's stuff (And ofc added root + right version of busybox)

If you want ill supply you with an update.zip that only includes su, superuser.apk and the right busybox version as the one you included atm also include ase and the scripts which i'm working on cleaning abit up atm.
Sure go ahead! Well, I wanted to ask since I used your update.zip in my release to root and get the right busybox hehe :)

I'm also looking into coding something in python and merge everything into one single application that can be used cross-platform. But that won't be necessary until there's a real fix and also once I decide to release my own rom.

mekwall

Feb 3, 2010
Uppsala
Woah.. huge difference for mount vs symlinks?!

yaffs2 native partition on the internal SD card would be awesome. Using yaffs2 instead of ext2 as a virtual drive probably won't help performance. Worth testing though! :D
I don't think that's the only difference. Since I reflashed (like 40x times harrrharr) from yesterday, I can't seem to replicate that score :( and it wasn't just a one-timer, I got 2700-2800 many times in a row. Right now I get about 2500-2600.

Status
Not open for further replies.