[UTIL][WIN][MT65xx] MTK Droid Root & Tools | MediaTek Android Smartphone

Search This thread

AlexZap

Feb 15, 2014
Waterbury
@AlexZap

Can i share this recovery on my thread with full credit to you thanks in advance
Not a problem. It will work on your device, the Ginoee s6pro and probably whatever blu phone is the clone of this.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

@AlexZap
Thanks for the recovery. Can I post it (with your reference as author) on needrom?

Feel free... as you can already see the list of phones this should work on.

Reactions: qwerfaseeh

skyx26

Apr 4, 2012
Caracas
Hi @ bovirus, nice guide. I just bought a BLU Studio Selfie 2, a MT6580M based phone. It came with marshmallow and I really, really, REALLY need to root it. Can you point me into the right direction?

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
@ skyx26

I believe that first posts of the thread are quite clear.
Your request seem OT here. Is not regarding MTKDroid.
You should open a thread about your device and post your request there.

AlexZap

Feb 15, 2014
Waterbury
Hi @ bovirus, nice guide. I just bought a BLU Studio Selfie 2, a MT6580M based phone. It came with marshmallow and I really, really, REALLY need to root it. Can you point me into the right direction?

Try kingroot first. If that doesn't work, find a twrp rom recovery, flash it, and the class supersu. I believe most blu phones come with a locked boot loader... so you'll probably have to boot into fastboot mode, run the old fastboot oem unlock, and wipe your device before flashing twrp. There are literally thousands of blu phone groups out there. Use Google.

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

skyx26

Apr 4, 2012
Caracas
@ skyx26

I believe that first posts of the thread are quite clear.
Your request seem OT here. Is not regarding MTKDroid.
You should open a thread about your device and post your request there.

Actually MTK Droid Root & Tools is designed for MT65xx. BLU Studio Selfie 2 uses a MT6580M so...
I already make a post. Thanks anyway.

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
@skyx26

I believe that in the first post I wrote that MTKDroid support up to Android 4,4,
It did't support Android 5.x (LP), 6.0 (MM), 7,0. You device has MM.

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
@AlexZap

What do you think to open a thread for genral rules/help how to root deviecs?

Because most of the question is not about MTKDroid but about "how to root".
IS not related to MTKDroid and for this reason this type of request could be OT here.

About the procedure that you sugegsted for the root I beleive that for me is the opposite.

First check if it's availble a recovery for the device.
If it's availble falsh teh recovery and install teh ZIP file for SuperSU and busybox.

If the recovery is not availble, try with KingRoot or KingoRoot PC sofwtare.
I didn't klike PC software for root becaus emake not documented feature in teh phone, and install not requested software.
If it's availble a recovery mod I prefer to use it.

Last edited:

AlexZap

Feb 15, 2014
Waterbury
@AlexZap

What do you think to open a thread for genral rules/help how to root deviecs?

Because most of the question is not about MTKDroid but about "how to root".
IS not related to MTKDroid and for this reason this type of request could be OT here.

About the procedure that you sugegsted for the root I beleive that for me is the opposite.

First check if it's availble a recovery for the device.
If it's availble falsh teh recovery and install teh ZIP file for SuperSU and busybox.

If the recovery is not availble, try with KingRoot or KingoRoot PC sofwtare.
I didn't klike PC software for root becaus emake not documented feature in teh phone, and install not requested software.
If it's availble a recovery mod I prefer to use it.

There are already a ton of threads on how to root. People are just too lazy to look for them. There are threads on porting twrp, and everything else. But people come here because "root" is in the title of the application. There are also a million mediatek phone variations, so it can be tedious to find stuff for your exact phone.

Even if we open a thread "rooting all mediatek phones" or something, it is the same thing will happen... People will still come here, and when they do go to that thread, they will still post the same questions, even though it is the exact same advice for every phone.

Mr Creosote

Nov 25, 2013
hi, I'm extremely confused by this app. I'm trying to use it to root a mediatek tablet. it's communicating fine with the tablet, all the correct info about the tablet is coming up on the screen, and the app can send the reboot command to the tablet.
the problem is when i try to to root, it cannot find the pwn file. I'm aware that this file will be detected as malware, but it seems like the file is simply not present in the archive to start with, regardless of where I download it from or how I extract it.
I've tried it from multiple sources, I've extracted it without any malware detection enabled, I've downloaded it on linux and looked inside the archive before extracting, I've downloaded it on android and looked inside the archive, I've enabled view hidden files, in every case the damned pwn file is just not there, in the mtk droid tools/files folder, where it's supposed to be.
why is this happening?

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
@Mr Creosote
Please read carefully the first posts.
Please post always with details

Brand/model of the device
Android version
Log of MTKDroid (right section of teh window)

Please take for anti virus/anti malware sofwtare in the PC any sofwtare that make a root in a device is condier as vrius/malware.
Please disable anti.virus/anti-malware software in the PC.

Last edited:

Mr Creosote

Nov 25, 2013
@Mr Creosote
Please read carefully the first posts.
Please post always with details

Android version
Log of MTKDroid (right section of teh window)

Please take for anti virus/anti malware sofwtare in the PC any sofwtare that make a root in a device is condier as vrius/malware.
Please disable anti.virus/anti-malware software in the PC.

thanks for the quick reply, sure, I understand that, I have tried it with no antivirus/anti-malware, including disabling windows defender, I've tried it on a linux laptop and an android tablet, and I've tried inspecting the contents of the mtkdroid zip archive without extracting it too, and the pwn file is not present there. same story with when I've downloaded it from other sources, there's no pwn file in mtk_droid_tools/files.
I've enclosed a screenshot of the contents of MTKDroid_2.5.3_mod_by_bovirus/files , there's no pwn file there.

edit: can we just clarify, is the pwn file supposed to be there when the zip is extracted, or is mtk droid tools supposed to generate the pwn file?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161103-205131.png
    Screenshot_20161103-205131.png
    252 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
thanks for the quick reply, sure, I understand that, I have tried it with no antivirus/anti-malware, including disabling windows defender, I've tried it on a linux laptop and an android tablet, and I've tried inspecting the contents of the mtkdroid zip archive without extracting it too, and the pwn file is not present there. same story with when I've downloaded it from other sources, there's no pwn file in mtk_droid_tools/files.
I've enclosed a screenshot of the contents of MTKDroid_2.5.3_mod_by_bovirus/files , there's no pwn file there.

edit: can we just clarify, is the pwn file supposed to be there when the zip is extracted, or is mtk droid tools supposed to generate the pwn file?

Please read carefully my reply. You didn't answer about my requests

Android OS version
Screenshot and log of MTKDroid about the operation failed.

Mr Creosote

Nov 25, 2013
ok, I'll get hold of those later, it's my friend's tablet I've been trying to root, I don't have it with me. it was driving me up the wall yesterday and I was quite flustered as he's yet again bought some damned generic chinese thing off ebay, which I keep saying not to do.

could you please answer a simple question for me first though, that doesn't require any of those things:
is the pwn file supposed be present in the files folder at the beginning, ie before I connect the device or try to run mtk droid?
or is mtk droid supposed to generate the pwn file?

Zoide_

Sep 27, 2009
Does anyone know of another method for backing up an MTK-based device running Android 5.1? I looked for other backup methods such as using SP Flash Tool, and they all require MTK Droid Tools at some point.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post was created originally by rua1 and transferred to new owner as old maintainer rua1 is no longer active.

Scope of the thread

The scope of this thread is ONLY about to discuss how to use MTKDroid.

IS NOT in the scope post not about MTKdroid, like ex. how to create recovery (except the CWM create by MTKDroid) or root the device (except procedure integrate in MTKDroid)

What's MTKDroid

MTKDroid is an application created by rua1 for Android device based on Mediatek CPU MT65xx (not other CPU type) and Android up to 4.4..

CPU/Android OS version/ROM chunk size supported

Mediatek CPU supported

IT'S GENERALLY COMPATIBLE with CPU Mediatek MT65xx (ex. MT6582/MT6589/MT6592) and Android up to Android 4.4.x (not higher)
    IT' COMPATIBLE with old CPU version (MT6582/MT6589/MT6592).
    Could be not compatible with recent CU MT65xx (like MT6580)

IS NOT COMPATICLE with new CPU like Mediatek MT67xx (MT6732/MT6752/MT67537etc).
    IS NOT COMPATIBLE with Android OS 5.0 and higher (5.0/5.1/6.0/7.0)

IS NOT COMPATICLE with CPU not Mediatek.

Android OS versione supported

MTKdroid is COMPATIBLE with Android OS version up to 4.4
    MTKdroid is NOT COMPATIBLE with Android OS version 5.x (LP) and higher like 6,.0 (MM), 7.0 (Nougat), etc

ROM chunk size supported

MTKdroid is COMPATIBLE with ROm chink size = 512 bytes/sector
    MTKdroid is NOT COMPATIBLE with ROM chunk size > 512 bytes/sector (ex. 2048 bytes/sector)

Before to start

Please note that you use program at your own risk!!!!

ATTENTION! It is possible to brick the device!!! - Please read carefully here

Check if you can, to make a backup of your ROM or to have a full backup of you ROM.

Check in the Android device if DEVELOPER OPTIONS is available into SETTINGS menu.
    If DEVELOPER OPTIONS is not available. please enable it selecting SETTINGS -> INFO ABOUT THE DEVICE -> Click several times on BUILD lines.
    It will appear a popup DEVELOPER OPTIONS enabled.

Check that in the device SETTINGS -> DEVELOPER OPTIONS -> USB DEBUG is enabled

ADB device drivers are already installed, and in the Windows DEVICE MANGER there shouldn't be unknown devices at connection of switched-on phone.

ADB drivers can get here

Please check here an example of USB Debug menu.

USB_debug.jpg

MTKDroid original russian thread - use Google translate

Guide in English

- If your phone not rooted using the ROOT button
    - Problems and errors when using SP Flash Tool
    - Backup ROM and make backup flashable in SP Flashtool
    - How to install CWM on some rooted MTK devices

Program history/changelog

- MTKDroid v. 2.4.3
    - MTKdroid v. 2.4.4 / v. 2.4.5 - Info
    - MTKDroid v. 2.4.6 - Info
    - MTKDroid v. 2.4.7 - Info
    - MTKDroid v. 2.4.8 - Info
    - MTKDRoid v. 2.5.1 - Info

Download

MTKDRoid v. 2.5.3 mod by bovirus (Mega)

Post all details

Post all details about the device that you can like

brand/model/CPU/ROM size/Flash size/Android version/ROM version/ROM date

If you have problems or errors, please attach at this thread the log.txt file available in MTKDroidTools folder![/B]

Language files

Note: the files are already included in last versions. No need to download and add them.

- Spanish language (Spanish.lang)
    - Czech language (Czech.lang)
    - Italian language (Italian.lang)

If you want to add new language, please translate English version and post the new language into the thread.
    If you find errors about language pelase post the report in the thread.
    v2.5.3

v2.5.3
    Please do not place the file on other sites!

Changes:
    • Support MT6592. Unlike previous SOC, here, when reading the ROM through the FT, not read block preloader. This block can be backup in the program after obtaining root shell.
    • File MTKdroidTools.ini has new variables ScatVer111 and ScatVer112, which listed SOC for which it is necessary to do a new type of scatter the appropriate version. At the moment it V1.1.1 for 6572/82 and 6592 for V1.1.2. If the SOC in these variables is missing, the scatter is the old type. Scatter the appropriate type is done with the backup and from "Block Map".
    • When you create a CWM file size compared to the size of the block. If the file size exceeds, then flash it is not offered, but the file is saved. If you choose to create CWM automatically and exceeded its size, we attempt to do CWM of mini template, which excludes the partitioning SD card into 2 parts.
    • On phones with ubifs filesystem backup system unit is in 3 forms:
      • tar archive. not for FlashTool!
      • system.ibifs.img. not for FlashTool!. Of this file under linux you can make an image for Flashtool
      • nodl_system.bin. As owners say, this file can flash through FlashTool. It must be edited manually rename and move to a folder for FT.No guarantees, on your own risk!
    - Additional options for newwer MTK chipset

Sonme trick for newwer chisper and Android version

Temporary root on Mediatek

GUIDE - How to

This guide was created originally by rua1 and transferred to new owner as old maintainer rua1 is no longer active.

- Make a ROM backup using Flashtool and ReadBack
    - make the CWM recovery
    - install SuperUser (get root)
    - etc..

If your phone cannot rooted using the ROOT button.

1. Make scatter by means of MTKDroidTools
    Scatter is the text file with addresses of the blocks, necessary for the SP FlashTool program.
    After creation of scatter don't close the main window of the program!
    Otherwise once again it is necessary to turn on phone.

1e.jpg

2. In SP FlashTool choose this scatter and go on the Read Back tab

2.jpg

3. Choose path and a ROM file name
    Click on Add button. Double click of a mouse on the appeared line. Choose a file name, the name has to begin with ROM_ as offers FlashTool! Remember path and the name of ROM_ file.

3e.jpg

4. Determine the ROM_ size
    Type has to stand in HEX. In the field of Start Address it is necessary to write down 0x000000. In the field of Length we copy from scatter the address of the block following after RECOVERY or the address of other block for fuller backup. For phones with type of the blocks EXT4 it is the cache block address. The number in the Hex format has to begin with 0x

4e.jpg

5 . Choose Read Page Only on yaffs2 type blocks phones
    In FlashTool choose Read Page Only in the field of Read Method. If this field isn't present, the window with this question can emerge, too we choose Page Only. On phones with EXT4 blocks it doesn't get out (as a rule).

5.jpg

6. Read Back ROM_
    Click on Read Back button and connect the switched-off phone to PC. Here the options depending on a concrete phone are possible. Maybe it is necessary to press at the same time with connect of a cable the camera or volume buttons. Experiment and study work with FlashTool in threads with similar phones! On some MT6573 models, for example on B63, it can't be executed with any combinations and only testpoint need!

6e.jpg

7. Prepare files for FlashTool and make CWM
    If everything passed without errorss, we open the MTK Droid Root & Tools window which we left on 1th step. If for some reason the window isn't present, it is necessary to turn on phone and to connect it to the program. Click on To process file ROM_ from FlashTool button and choose the ROM_* file saved on the 6th step. At successful unpacking rom it will be offered to choose CWM from similar phone. Chosen CWM it is checked on compliance to the connected phone and if ok, the CWM is created.
    Starting with v2.4.0 CWM it is made automatically and the file from similar phone shouldn't be looked for any more!

7e.jpg

Аttention! Yaffs2 type blocks from this backup can't be Downloaded to phone, they aren't correct!
    Use backup on 9th step if phone have yaffs2 type blocks!

8. Download new CWM to the phone
    Start FlashTool, choose scatter in the folder created on the 7th step. Remove marks from all blocks! Click on RECOVERY and we choose the file CWM in the same folder which was created on the 7th step. Click Download and connect a cable to PC (phone has to be switched off) and expect the end of process.

DANGEROUS! On this step the CWM recovery block has to be marked only!
    Also it is necessary to use only the Download button and not to use at all the Firmware Upgrade button!

8e.jpg

9. Make backup, install SuperUser etc
    Start device in CWM mode, connect to MTK Droid Root & Tools, go on the tab root, backup, recovery and, pressing on this tab the necessary buttons, we do:
    - backup! ! ! (if in phone there is yaffs2 type blocks, do here surely, they received with readBack on 7th step aren't correct)
    - install superuser (often mean "get root" under it)
    - and other if need

9e.jpg

Never needlessly flash/download preloader and DSP_BL blocks! It is always dangerous!
    On some models of phones (for example Alcatel) you will have a brick even if you download these blocks read from phone which you own!
    Always remove from them marks in SPFT!
    How to install CWM on most rooted mtk devices

I believe this procedure is not possible on phones with a ubifs file system.

This Tutorial was originally written by Rua1 on the Russian forum, here.... http://forum.china-iphone.ru/post986046.html#p986046 post #1000

You will need Adb drivers installed on your computer. http://pdanet.co/a/

And MTKDroid tools http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490
    Mtkdroid tools contains exploits necessary for the rooting process, and this may be detected as a virus by your antivirus program, just temporarily disable your antivirus while downloading, or if you're really paranoid, don't download!:laugh:

Connect your switched on rooted mtk device to your computer and open MTKDroid tool, the tool will recognise your device and connect to it, if the colour indicator in the bottom left corner is green, you already have root shell,and can go on to the next step, if it is yellow, click on the root button at the bottom, and wait for the progress bar, if the indicator stays yellow, or you get an error message, this probably means you do not have Busybox installed, you can install it from the google play store. When the indicator turns to green you have root shell which is necessary for this operation.

Next click on the tab 'root,backup,recovery' and select 'to use boot from phone' then click on 'recovery and boot' and shortly after a dialogue box will appear asking if you want to 'make cwm recovery automatically' click yes

The tool will then create the recovery and another dialogue box will appear asking to 'install created recovery to phone', click yes.

And finally the tool will ask to reboot into recovery mode, click yes and the device will reboot into CWM recovery so you can check the installation was successful.

Thanks to Rua1 for creating this brilliant tool.
    Backup your Rom with MtkDroid tools and make your backup flashable in SPflashtool

If you have a ubifs type file system on your phone, it is possible to make a backup, but the ubifs blocks must be excluded
    see this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47005386&postcount=630

you will need
    1 your rooted mediatek device
    2 Adb drivers installed on pc http://pdanet.co/a/
    3 MTKDroid tools http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490 should you wish to, you can also make a donation to Rua1 on this page:)
    Mtkdroid tools contains exploits necessary for the rooting process, and this may be detected as a virus by your antivirus program, just temporarily disable your antivirus while downloading, or if you're really paranoid, don't download!:laugh:
    and for flashing
    4 SPFlashtool SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1344.0.212.7z
    5 Mtk Usb Vcom drivers installed on pcUsb_Vcom_Auto_Installer_v1.1236.00.rar

I assume that you have the necessary drivers installed as that subject is dealt with at length elsewhere in these threads.

Open Droid tools by clicking on the .exe file and connect your rooted switched on phone(with debugging enabled), the application will connect to your device and will show its details. If your device is rooted the colour indicator in the bottom left corner will be yellow, click on the root button at the bottom

wait for the progress bar and the indicator turns to green and then you have root shell, which is necessary for backup, and will remain in that state until you reboot your device. If the indicator stays yellow, that probably means you don't have busybox installed, you can install it from google play store

Next click on the tab'root,backup,recovery' and tick the box next to 'backup userdata and cache' if required, and finally click on backup, when the tool has finished copying the files, you will then have a complete backup of your device which is saved in the mtkdroid tools backup folder. Note Userdata and Cache may contain your personal data.

Should you need to restore your device to its current state, you can do so by flashing your backup back to your device as follows.
    Open droid tools, no need to connect your device to pc, click on tab 'root,backup,recovery' then click on 'to prepare blocks for Flashtool'

then navigate to the folder with your backup file, open the backup file, then select the MD5 file and click open,

the tool will then copy the required files to another folder '!Files_to_Flashtool' which is also inside the backup folder. you can then flash the files to your device with SPFlashtool by selecting the scatterfile in the 'files_to_flashtool folder'
    Known bugs: Error when preparing files for FlashTool if in the backup folder there are two scatter files, (normal and PMT). It is necessary to remove one of them from the folder, this will rectify the error.

Thanks to Rua1 for creating this fantastic tool

Never needlessly Download preloader and DSP_BL blocks! It is always dangerous! On some models of phones (for example Alcatel) you will have a brick even if you download these blocks read from your own phone! Always remove ticks in SPFlashtool!!​