[Utility]EZ Update Android 4.2/CWM/Root/Save Data/1 Click

Search This thread

tucstwo

Oct 6, 2011
Lots of people are having problems with the Android 4.2 update. They lose root or they can't get back into recovery. So BEFORE you flash 4.2 or if you already did and are having issues. Download this utility I whipped up. It will flash (or reflash) the 4.2 update (Including system, kernel and bootloader). It'll flash the latest 4.2 compatible ClockworkMod Touch Recovery. And then it'll get you all set up to re-root your N7 within the latest CWM. Instructions are included in the README file. PLEASE READ IT!

You DO NOT need to be on a stock rom to run this and it will NOT erase your data. But it is recommended when you get into CWM recovery for obvious reasons.

If anyone is having any issues and you get caught at the Google splash screen. You can use Power, Vol - to hard shut down the tablet, then Power, Vol +, Vol - to get into the bootloader. From here you can install the factory images from google. Once you're back up and running, you can run this tool to gain root and CWM back.

Updated 11/14/2012: Replaced SuperSu.apk with the latest version designed for 4.2
Updated 11/14/2012 14:41EST: This package will now contain 3 different runme files. One of them will not erase your data, one will erase your cache only and the last one will erase your data and cache. It seems people coming from some roms are having bootloops or hangs because of a lack of data wipe. You can attempt to run the one with no data wipe, but if you run into trouble, try one of the others. Some have made it through with only a cache wipe. See what works for you.
Updated 11/14/2012 16:53EST: Removed full data erase option as I forgot it will erase your SD card and therefor erase the root zip before it gets a chance to flash. There is only 1 runme file now and it will erase your cache, but leave your data alone. If you're having problems, or you want to avoid problems. Erase your data in CWM before you flash the supersu zip included in the package.

For Now - Windows ONLY, Sorry.
Linux version, on the way

Anyway:
Download and PLEASE READ the Read Me!

Last edited:

escosk8r

Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for putting this together tucstwo, it was super helpful and easy for a lot of us here :D

trusteelfan

May 5, 2009
Sacramento
Ok, I tried this and got stuck on the boot screen. Guess Ill try it again. I was on AOKP before.Can I just run this from there? I should I have wiped before?

edit
Ok it worked once I wiped it when it booted in CWR.
Great job. Now just have to test if it is still rooted

Last edited:

Solange82200

Mar 27, 2009
Im not getting something. After I press runme.bat my Nexus goes to clockwork recovery, its not touch, I have to choose from options like Start, Recovery Mode, etc. It doesnt match the instructions. Im super confused, any help?

Ugh. now my device is stuck at the google start screen, and not going anywhere. Android is too complicated sometimes for dumb people like me...

Last edited:

trusteelfan

May 5, 2009
Sacramento
Im not getting something. After I press runme.bat my Nexus goes to clockwork recovery, its not touch, I have to choose from options like Start, Recovery Mode, etc. It doesnt match the instructions. Im super confused, any help?

Its booting you in fastboot. just follow the instructions in the window that comes up when you run the runme.bat.

When it boots in fastboot just hit the space bar. It will take a couple times of hitting the spacebar before you reach the CWR stage where you flash the PlaceMeOnYourSDCardSuperSu.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: Solange82200

Hasan10

Oct 20, 2009
When I click runme, it opens up the cmd window, starts the daemon, and then just sits there with a blinking cursor. Tried this few times already, nothing is happening.

EDIT: My nexus 7 is connected and has usb debugging turned on.

Last edited:

Hasan10

Oct 20, 2009
Do you have ADB set up on you computer?
Did you make sure you have USB debugging selected on your nexus 7 in developer options?

Figured it out. My computer recognizes the Nexus 7 as a portable device, but not recognizing it in the usb debugging mode (shows "Nexus" under Other Devices with a yellow triangle). Tried to update the driver, but it failed.

Solange82200

Mar 27, 2009
Thanks, it wasn't clear to me for some reason when I was doing it. It just kept saying after the black screen press continue, but something stopped along the way. I cant do it again because my device wont get past the Google startup screen, so I guess Im just going to flash from stock or something. Thank you for the quick help though, much appreciated!

trusteelfan

May 5, 2009
Sacramento
Thanks, it wasn't clear to me for some reason when I was doing it. It just kept saying after the black screen press continue, but something stopped along the way. I cant do it again because my device wont get past the Google startup screen, so I guess Im just going to flash from stock or something. Thank you for the quick help though, much appreciated!

You can run it again if it got stuck. I had to run it twice

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Figured it out. My computer recognizes the Nexus 7 as a portable device, but not recognizing it in the usb debugging mode (shows "Nexus" under Other Devices with a yellow triangle). Tried to update the driver, but it failed.

The Nexus 7 toolkit will put the right drivers in place if you need them.

Hasan10

Oct 20, 2009
OK, I will try that.

By the way, I am currently on Android 4.1 with unlocked BL and CWM Recovery running Franco Kernel. Is this utility safe to use with this setup?

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

OK So I have finally got the drivers, and then ran the runme. It booted me into fastboot mode and now it says sending 'bootloader' <2096 KB>... and seems to be stuck on it. I havent touched anything on my nexus 7, didn't press any buttons yet.

Unplugged it and then plugged it back in. It failed to flash the bootloader and went straight to boot and system flashing. It has now booted into Android 4.2, but I am assuming it still got the older bootloader. I think I will have to re-run the whole process to ensure new bootloader gets flashed eh? Or is there a 4.2 bootloader floating around that I can just flash using CWM and save myself the trouble?

Last edited:

trusteelfan

May 5, 2009
Sacramento
OK, I will try that.

By the way, I am currently on Android 4.1 with unlocked BL and CWM Recovery running Franco Kernel. Is this utility safe to use with this setup?

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

OK So I have finally got the drivers, and then ran the runme. It booted me into fastboot mode and now it says sending 'bootloader' <2096 KB>... and seems to be stuck on it. I havent touched anything on my nexus 7, didn't press any buttons yet.

Unplugged it and then plugged it back in. It failed to flash the bootloader and went straight to boot and system flashing. It has now booted into Android 4.2, but I am assuming it still got the older bootloader. I think I will have to re-run the whole process to ensure new bootloader gets flashed eh?

It takes it a few minutes to run the process. You should have just waited

Hasan10

Oct 20, 2009
It takes it a few minutes to run the process. You should have just waited

No I realized it didn't install the fastboot drivers before the process began. So it was actually not able to send the bootloader. Anyways, can you please read my edited post above and advise me with that to do?

EDIT: I went ahead and re-ran the process. Since all drivers were in place, the total process took less than 5 mins, arguably faster than an OTA. Still have all of my data and the goodness of 4.2.

Thanks a lot OP for this great utility.

Last edited:

essay708

Oct 22, 2010
Chicago
Ok, I tried this and got stuck on the boot screen. Guess Ill try it again. I was on AOKP before.Can I just run this from there? I should I have wiped before?

edit
Ok it worked once I wiped it when it booted in CWR.
Great job. Now just have to test if it is still rooted

What was it that you wiped? Just to make sure I do exactly what you did. I'm stuck on the glowing nexus logo.

opz187

Sep 30, 2012
Everything is good over here. Rooted with twrp instead tho. Anyway something weird is going on with my battery, and yo seem pretty knowledgeable so I thought I'd run it by ya and see if you couldn't shed some light on the issue. Anyway my battery stats are showing that the device isn't awake.. When clearly it is and in the stats it says the screen is even on.. But not awake. Also the screen seems to brighten and dim at odd times idk if that has anything to do with it. But I flashed an ota update.. Bootloader and all. Kept root with supersu. You think something might have been corrupt or something? Here's a screenshot of the issue.. Hmm another issue, whenever I try to take a screenshot.. With more than one app, it takes a pic of an earlier point when I was on twrp getting ready for the 4.2 update. Some really strange things are going on..

Attachments

• 2012.11.14-01.41.14.jpg
    2012.11.14-01.41.14.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lots of people are having problems with the Android 4.2 update. They lose root or they can't get back into recovery. So BEFORE you flash 4.2 or if you already did and are having issues. Download this utility I whipped up. It will flash (or reflash) the 4.2 update (Including system, kernel and bootloader). It'll flash the latest 4.2 compatible ClockworkMod Touch Recovery. And then it'll get you all set up to re-root your N7 within the latest CWM. Instructions are included in the README file. PLEASE READ IT!

You DO NOT need to be on a stock rom to run this and it will NOT erase your data. But it is recommended when you get into CWM recovery for obvious reasons.

If anyone is having any issues and you get caught at the Google splash screen. You can use Power, Vol - to hard shut down the tablet, then Power, Vol +, Vol - to get into the bootloader. From here you can install the factory images from google. Once you're back up and running, you can run this tool to gain root and CWM back.

Updated 11/14/2012: Replaced SuperSu.apk with the latest version designed for 4.2
    Updated 11/14/2012 14:41EST: This package will now contain 3 different runme files. One of them will not erase your data, one will erase your cache only and the last one will erase your data and cache. It seems people coming from some roms are having bootloops or hangs because of a lack of data wipe. You can attempt to run the one with no data wipe, but if you run into trouble, try one of the others. Some have made it through with only a cache wipe. See what works for you.
    Updated 11/14/2012 16:53EST: Removed full data erase option as I forgot it will erase your SD card and therefor erase the root zip before it gets a chance to flash. There is only 1 runme file now and it will erase your cache, but leave your data alone. If you're having problems, or you want to avoid problems. Erase your data in CWM before you flash the supersu zip included in the package.

For Now - Windows ONLY, Sorry.
    Linux version, on the way

Anyway:
    Download and PLEASE READ the Read Me!
    Just trying to make it easy
    Do you guys think it would be worth if for me to change the utility to force cache wipe? force cache/data wipe? or just leave it alone?

Edit: Had a better idea. There is now 3 runme files included in the zip file. 1 that saves data, 1 that erases data/cache and 1 that just erases cache. You people can try out which ever one they need to get it to work with no bootlooops or hanging.
    I'd say definitely force cache wipe, since it isn't destructive and only makes the process take a bit longer.

I think people should either wipe data on their own or run into a wall and have to wipe it, which only applies to a few people coming from other ROMs AFAIK.

great work though!
    Yeah, I decided to upload a new version that included 3 different runme batches. 1 wipes nothing, 1 cache only, and 1 cache+data. So people can choose their weapon.

Do I need to flash the stock kernel first before using this .zip file? Does the /system partition needs to be stock as well? Thanks :)

This tool will flash the newest 4.2 kernel, system, bootloader and the latest CWM touch recovery for you. If your're coming from a stock rom, you may want to run the included tool that performs a data/cache wipe for you. Some people have had trouble saving their data, other have been just fine. But this tool require nothing on your end. You can flash it from any booted up system/kernel combo.
    Worked fantastically, thanks for taking the time to throw this together for us last night.