• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Utility] Odin for Linux !!! (JOdin3 CASUAL)

Search This thread

elwishseven

Dec 30, 2020
It can be used on any platform as it is based on Java. It requires Java 8 or the latest runtime environment installed on your computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

billa

Mar 30, 2006
It's running fine, but F.Reset, Nand Erase, and some other buttons are grayed out. Is that normal in this Linux/Java version?

Apr 11, 2021
hey I'm using Majaro Linux(based on Arch Linux). This odin on linux doesn't work on my machine. Can you help? @Toby4213

I have installed latest version of java
Code:
openjdk version "15.0.2" 2021-01-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 15.0.2+7)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 15.0.2+7, mixed mode)

Attachments

• 2021-04-18_07-35.png
    2021-04-18_07-35.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 103

mm-privacy

Aug 26, 2021
I have finally found a working version of Odin for Linux!
JOdin 3 Casual powered by Heimdall
Hi,

there is just one thing to say from my side - THANK YOU!!!

Before using your setup I have spent one half day to find out that the MAC version is difficult to install (failed for me) and the Linux version also required another half day (failed again because of dependencies). Finally I found your howto and it was working out of the box. No issues direct connect with a broken Galaxy S8.

BUT can anyone help where I can find the Firmware for a Samsung Galaxy S8 France?

I checked many pages but usually I have to open an account and in the best case I can download a zip file with some exe files - of course, which I do not open.

Any link/idea where to download this firmware?

BR

mm-privacy

Aug 26, 2021
Hey,

super thank you!

I do not have a WinPC - I am using vbox with win. So far it looks very promising. Frija has downloaded the firmware and now Odin has to do his magic;-)

BR
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!
Hey,

super thank you!

I do not have a WinPC - I am using vbox with win. So far it looks very promising. Frija has downloaded the firmware and now Odin has to do his magic;-)

BR
UPDATE - SUCCESS!!!!

my S8 is alive ;-) Thank you to everybody who participated in these projects for their work!

Reactions: breversa

Toby4213

Jan 9, 2015
Hi,

there is just one thing to say from my side - THANK YOU!!!

Before using your setup I have spent one half day to find out that the MAC version is difficult to install (failed for me) and the Linux version also required another half day (failed again because of dependencies). Finally I found your howto and it was working out of the box. No issues direct connect with a broken Galaxy S8.

BUT can anyone help where I can find the Firmware for a Samsung Galaxy S8 France?

I checked many pages but usually I have to open an account and in the best case I can download a zip file with some exe files - of course, which I do not open.

Any link/idea where to download this firmware?

BR
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

UPDATE - SUCCESS!!!!

my S8 is alive ;-) Thank you to everybody who participated in these projects for their work!

Great you could sort it out!

sepo27

May 27, 2017
For me JOdin errors out with:
Code:
Exception in thread "Thread-571" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit            
        at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.OdinFile.extractOdinContents(OdinFile.java:145)          
        at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.Odin.getHeimdallFileParametersFromOdinFile(Odin.java:50)  
        at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.getHeimdallCommandFromOdinPackageList(JOdinController.java:621)
        at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.access$3300(JOdinController.java:54)                          
        at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController$13.run(JOdinController.java:572)                              
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I've tried to increase the heap size but it doesn't remedy it.
Because AFAIU, it's not a heap issue but rather a JOdin exhausts array max size when stream-reading huge files.

(I'm trying latest Samsung original firmware which wights 5.4GB).

Wondering if anybody was able to solve this issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ooops- may I ask you why you're answering here in this thread? Your post surprised me indeed.
    Just general tech speak: if it doesn't work, verify that every element is functioning correctly.

By the way, I was not completely accurate: I tried to use it once, but fell back to running Odin in a VM. Nowadays I solely use lineage (and derivatives), so no use for (j)Odin (except the occasional updating of baseband etc, which I do via heimdal).
    I have finally found a working version of Odin for Linux!
    JOdin 3 Casual powered by Heimdall

You need at least Java 8, if you don't have it already:
    To see the java version type:
    Code:
    java -version
    Aptitude Package Manager:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install oracle-java9-installer
    If necessary change the java environment to the new one(this should be changed automatically by the installer of the new package):
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config java

JOdin3 Mirrors:
    mega.nz
    androidfilehost.com

FYI:
    b4Rpfqj.png

Thanks I am new to this and not a developer. I have downloaded Jodin3 files but how do I install please? Thanks Hugo
    Using JOdin3 with 'sudo' shows 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'

These are recommendations I'd found:

Heap size specifies the amount of dynamic memory to be made available to the JVM code.
    For systems with less than 1 GB of physical memory, use a maximum heap size of 256 MB, and an initial heap size of 0 MB.
    For systems with 2 GB memory, use a maximum heap size of 768 MB, and an initial heap size of 256 MB.
    For larger systems (more than 2GB), use a maximum heap size of 1024 MB, and an initial heap size of 512 MB.

Is that also suitable for JOdin3?
    This is the current error I've got:

Exception in thread "Thread-78" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.OdinFile.extractOdinContents(OdinFile.java:145)
    at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.Odin.getHeimdallFileParametersFromOdinFile(Odin.java:50)
    at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.getHeimdallCommandFromOdinPackageList(JOdinController.java:621)
    at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.access$3300(JOdinController.java:54)
    at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController$13.run(JOdinController.java:572)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

How do I edit the 'heap space' settings for JOdin3 in Linux Mint 19.1?
    ooops- may I ask you why you're answering here in this thread? Your post surprised me indeed.
    Just general tech speak: if it doesn't work, verify that every element is functioning correctly.

By the way, I was not completely accurate: I tried to use it once, but fell back to running Odin in a VM. Nowadays I solely use lineage (and derivatives), so no use for (j)Odin (except the occasional updating of baseband etc, which I do via heimdal).