[Utility] Taskbar autohide utility

Search This thread

klonk

Aug 7, 2007
Hello

One thing make me crazy using surface. In landscape mode, I have taskbar on the left side. It give me easy access to program with thumb and it don’t use much space... but when I switch surface to portrait mode for reading or note taking, it take too much space on the left....

So here comes my solution small program that can change taskbar auto hide property based on screen rotation.

You can change if taskbar auto hide or don’t in landscape or portrait mode , and you can mark this program to start automatic on startup

Feel free to use it and share it please leave comment of what you thing about this utility and what more you want

Attachments

• screan.JPG
    screan.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,482
  • SurfaceTaskBar-Src.rar
    4 MB · Views: 1,002
  • SurfaceTaskBar.rar
    167 KB · Views: 1,431

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Cool! Doesn't work on the RT though, even thoughit looks like it should (.NET, AnyCPU target). I may hook it up to a debugger for some investigation. Thank you for including the source!

Reactions: C-Lang

natemiller82

Jan 27, 2011
Seattle, WA
I love this utility! I've actually been unsuccessfully looking for something to do exactly this for a few weeks, and I stumbled on this when I wasn't looking for it.

There's one minor issue I seem to be having with it. If I restart my computer, wait for all the programs to load up (including yours, which is set to run at startup), the program is running, but doesn't have any effect on the status of the taskbar -- the taskbar simply maintains the last state it was in before I restarted the computer: autohide or not -- it doesn't change with orientation. If I exit the program and restart it, it performs as it's supposed to.

In short whenever I restart my Surface Pro (and sometimes when waking from sleep) I have to restart the program to get it to continue working properly.

Great utility by the way!

EDIT: It doesn't fail to respond every time I start and shut down, but it seems to happen whenever I restart with the Surface Pro still in portrait mode. I just tried it with it in landscape mode and it worked fine.

Last edited:

klonk

Aug 7, 2007
Hello

Many thansk for using this utility, I
nearly forgot that i post it public. :D I know about this issiu and after finals i have plans to fix this but unfortunetly some problem with position senzor shows up on my surface pro ( like in this blog surfacetablethelp.com/2013/06/surface-pro-simple-device-orientation-sensor-not-working-or-disconnected.html#comment-16957 but whit no android thing )

So soon as i fix this and have woring chang. oriantation i will wok on this utility

slater_g

Jul 25, 2012
Are you still working on it?

A nice feature would be to have the bar always on the same (physical) side of the screen.

For example to save space: Having it on the left side in portrait and as soon as the orientation changes it will now be on the bottom.

sonatamartica

Dec 30, 2009

A nice feature would be to have the bar always on the same (physical) side of the screen.

For example to save space: Having it on the left side in portrait and as soon as the orientation changes it will now be on the bottom.

EXACTLY what im after. please please do this.

keifus.rahn

Jun 30, 2013
Midland Tx
FROM ]caffiene IN Q&A
Would someone provide this link:http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/soft...tablet-pc.html

as a reply to this post: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2234549
?
There are at least two people looking for solutions (as was I) and I stumbled upon the answer looking for something else. The program they are looking for sounds like Taskbar shuffler in the tabletpcreview forum. I cant post it to make these people super happy, as I don't have 10 posts. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I would be super happy.

Last edited:

Brent212

Mar 22, 2008

THIS. Totally want some way to have taskbar automatically switched depending on screen orientation.

FROM ]caffiene IN Q&A
Would someone provide this link:http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/soft...tablet-pc.html

as a reply to this post: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2234549
?
There are at least two people looking for solutions (as was I) and I stumbled upon the answer looking for something else. The program they are looking for sounds like Taskbar shuffler in the tabletpcreview forum. I cant post it to make these people super happy, as I don't have 10 posts. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I would be super happy.

The links don't work. Does the one to tabletpcreview have a way to move the taskbar when the screen rotates?

klonk

Aug 7, 2007
:) Again thanks for using this utility. Orientation sensor on surface suddenly start working after ages of malfunctions so i was able to fix some bugs and add one new feature

So let me introduce v2:
-fixed bug when auto hide wasn't initialize after reboot.
-added feature to move task bar based of screen orientation.

Since changing task bar orientation isn't possible via API since windows vista, i am using some way of "bay pas". Program start task bar property windows. Switch focus on it and emulate keystrokes ( tabs for moving between options, arrows for switching orientation, enter for submit changes ) ... and i cant bele it .. it work :fingers-crossed:

So fell free to test it and post any comment and feedback :)

Attachments

• taskbarUtilv2.JPG
    taskbarUtilv2.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 120
  • TaskBarUtility.rar
    175.7 KB · Views: 152

Brent212

Mar 22, 2008
Dude, that's awesome. I haven't tested it extensively, but from brief usage, it puts the taskbar at the bottom on portrait and on the left in landscape. Exactly what I want. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello

One thing make me crazy using surface. In landscape mode, I have taskbar on the left side. It give me easy access to program with thumb and it don’t use much space... but when I switch surface to portrait mode for reading or note taking, it take too much space on the left....

So here comes my solution small program that can change taskbar auto hide property based on screen rotation.

You can change if taskbar auto hide or don’t in landscape or portrait mode , and you can mark this program to start automatic on startup

Feel free to use it and share it please leave comment of what you thing about this utility and what more you want
    :) Again thanks for using this utility. Orientation sensor on surface suddenly start working after ages of malfunctions so i was able to fix some bugs and add one new feature

So let me introduce v2:
    -fixed bug when auto hide wasn't initialize after reboot.
    -added feature to move task bar based of screen orientation.

Since changing task bar orientation isn't possible via API since windows vista, i am using some way of "bay pas". Program start task bar property windows. Switch focus on it and emulate keystrokes ( tabs for moving between options, arrows for switching orientation, enter for submit changes ) ... and i cant bele it .. it work :fingers-crossed:

So fell free to test it and post any comment and feedback :)
    Cool! Doesn't work on the RT though, even thoughit looks like it should (.NET, AnyCPU target). I may hook it up to a debugger for some investigation. Thank you for including the source!