UWP App Launcher - Available To Download Now!

Search This thread

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
I don't know (I didn't write the apps). I could try to rewrite the way that I load all the apps so asynchronously but honestly, I don't have any motivation to even try right now. I'm working on a project that is going to be in the Windows Store.

If anyone here knows c#, the source code is here: https://github.com/colinkiama/UWP-App-Launcher. Feel free to try and fix it yourselves if you really want this to work on your device.

That's not the problem, it's opening for me now that I updated to CU, like the package installer is also working, on my 625 before CU it didn't even stay long on the splash screen, it just showed it and closed.

EP1CNESSHD

Jul 4, 2017
London
That's not the problem, it's opening for me now that I updated to CU, like the package installer is also working, on my 625 before CU it didn't even stay long on the splash screen, it just showed it and closed.
Very strange. All the APIs used in the app launcher were from the original Windows 10 Release (10240) and I made the minimum target version of the app 10586. Like I said earlier. If someone else thinks that they can fix the issue, go ahead lol.

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
Very strange. All the APIs used in the app launcher were from the original Windows 10 Release (10240) and I made the minimum target version of the app 10586. Like I said earlier. If someone else thinks that they can fix the issue, go ahead lol.

Since it only takes me ~10 min to flash back the backup to 10.0.10586.36 I might give it a try when I'll have some free time.
As for the package installer did you also use APIs from the same version or others, I'd like to try and see where the problem is with that as well (if it's not already fixed by your latest update obviously, once I test it I'll report back)?

EP1CNESSHD

Jul 4, 2017
London
Since it only takes me ~10 min to flash back the backup to 10.0.10586.36 I might give it a try when I'll have some free time.
As for the package installer did you also use APIs from the same version or others, I'd like to try and see where the problem is with that as well (if it's not already fixed by your latest update obviously, once I test it I'll report back)?

Ah yes, with the package installer, I've noticed that the notification extensions I'm using require the Anniversary Update. I can update the minimum version later however, that shouldn't be stopping the app from starting in the first place as that code only runs when the install button is clicked but we should probably continue this conversation in the thread for the package installer: https://xdaforums.com/windows-10-mo...mes/appx-appxbundle-installer-phones-t3669665

Last edited:

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
@EP1CNESSHD perhaps add a warning to the OP that users of old devices will need to increase the pagefile size for this to work, after updating to CU I data reset my phone cause it wasn't really working as good as it should, after that I was no longer able to run this (stayed on splash for a while then crashed) and a couple of other heavy apps (mainly AnTuTu) also crashed while trying to use them which really confused me cause they worked before, until I remembered to increase the pagefile size.
Also would recommend keeping it static as Microsoft did cause for me creating a dynamic pagefile made the phone lag for me.

EP1CNESSHD

Jul 4, 2017
London
@EP1CNESSHD perhaps add a warning to the OP that users of old devices will need to increase the pagefile size for this to work, after updating to CU I data reset my phone cause it wasn't really working as good as it should, after that I was no longer able to run this (stayed on splash for a while then crashed) and a couple of other heavy apps (mainly AnTuTu) also crashed while trying to use them which really confused me cause they worked before, until I remembered to increase the pagefile size.
Also would recommend keeping it static as Microsoft did cause for me creating a dynamic pagefile made the phone lag for me.
Okay, I'll do that now.

marianodelfino

Apr 30, 2015
I think that app sorting with minimalistic icons is not a great combo. Anyways, good job, i took the liberty of recompiling your code to arm(mobile) with vertical scrolling which is more androidish

Attachments

• appLauncher_1.0.36.0_x64_arm_Debug.zip
    13.9 MB · Views: 272
Reactions: EP1CNESSHD

EP1CNESSHD

Jul 4, 2017
London
I've updated the app launcher, now this launcher can actually be used to open all apps on your phone (you don't need to go back to the start screen for legacy apps anymore!) and all Windows "apps" on PCs.
I've added a bit of margin at the bottom so the text for the launcher settings icon doesn't clip the bottom of the screen (was incredibly irritating before).
I've also fixed the bug where the launcher would crash on Mobile after going back from the launcher settings.
Lastly, I've changed the way the launcher fills gets apps into the app data. Initial load will be a bit slower now that all apps will be included in the launcher but after that, the app will be pretty fast and stable.

Please please, check out the GitHub and feel free to experiment with this. I'm legit begging you to steal code!
Release is here: https://github.com/colinkiama/UWP-App-Launcher/releases/tag/v1.2.0.0-beta
Source Code: https://github.com/colinkiama/UWP-App-Launcher

Last edited:
Reactions: tire_007

AppxLover

Jul 30, 2017
I've released a new version of this launcher with support for background images and swipe right for Cortana! (I can't really show you it in action because I can't record from my phone at the moment but you do see her icon before the app gets launched.
KgtBfer.png

VwccycA.png

maJJXLn.png

Download the latest version here: https://github.com/colinkiama/UWP-App-Launcher/releases/tag/v1.0.34.0-beta

It's my favorite launcher now!

EP1CNESSHD

Jul 4, 2017
London
With the recent news about Windows 10 Mobile's full root access, now is a really good time to start contributing to this app! You can contribute by adding new issues or completing those issues on GitHub.
The link to start contributing is here! : https://github.com/colinkiama/UWP-App-Launcher/issues

Hopefully, when we are able to change the start screen app, this app launcher will be filled with so many cool features with everyone's help :)

Last edited:

EP1CNESSHD

Jul 4, 2017
London
I'm working on an update for this. Before I continue, I need your help.

If you want to help, please answer this question for me:

What do you not like about the Windows Phone Start Screen? (this includes the app list too)

barc0d3

May 6, 2014
I'm working on an update for this. Before I continue, I need your help.

If you want to help, please answer this question for me:

What do you not like about the Windows Phone Start Screen? (this includes the app list too)

Hey. It would be great if you could link all your WP apps and open them from your launcher. I'd put it on the top of my start screen ?

1. My biggest gripe about the start screen is the omission of a landscape orientation.

I've mounted both Android and WPs to car dashboards as podcast, GPS, music players, many times. Android is way better at this because of a glut of GPS Speedos and landscape.

2. Lack of live wallpapers. Especially with the rise of gyro/parallax LWPs, WP looks more and more outdated; Advanced when still competing against Android 4.1, deprecated when compared to Nougat.

Reactions: EP1CNESSHD

EP1CNESSHD

Jul 4, 2017
London
Hey. It would be great if you could link all your WP apps and open them from your launcher. I'd put it on the top of my start screen

1. My biggest gripe about the start screen is the omission of a landscape orientation.

I've mounted both Android and WPs to car dashboards as podcast, GPS, music players, many times. Android is way better at this because of a glut of GPS Speedos and landscape.

2. Lack of live wallpapers. Especially with the rise of gyro/parallax LWPs, WP looks more and more outdated; Advanced when still competing against Android 4.1, deprecated when compared to Nougat.

Thanks for that feedback! That's going to be really useful!

Top Liked Posts