[V1.0]01.05.14 EFS/IMEI Tool G900M/F/T Cmplete backup EFS + Modemst1 and 2

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2011
Gujarat, India
drketanrom.com
[V1.0]01.05.14 EFS/IMEI Tool G900M/F/T Cmplete backup EFS + Modemst1 and 2 (Needs Rooted device)

attachment.php

As we know on qualcomm device IMEI number no more stored on EFS partition so no meaning to make backup of only efs.img
Here is simple tool to make backup of complete IMEI (efs.img.ext4 + nvrebuild1.bin and nvrebuild2.bin)

As we know sometimes we do have multiple device and multiple backup and that making us confuse which backup is for which device, also it difficult to guess when exactly we made particular backup. to overcome all these issue this tool will make backup in folder name MyEFS_MM-dd-yyyy_hh.mm_Device IMEI So you can keep multiple backup. (* This is Pro feature)
Also it will copy build prop file along with backup, so that will give complete information about your ROM when you made backup.

- To backup long press EFS backup option icon, it will backup all three required partition like efs.img.ext4,nvrebuild1.bin and nvrebuild2.bin. Also you will find build.prop file, which is just to get information about ROM when backup was created.
- To restore simply copy all three backup files efs.img.ext4, nvrebuild1.bin and nvrebuild2.bin to root directory of Int SD card and then long press Restore option icon.

Read this for more about EFS
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2420881

ChangeLog
V1.0 Initial version

Needs Rooted device

Download : (If your device model is different read this to add support for your device)

Pro Version

OR

IMEI Tool G900M/F/T Free 1.0 - Download for free for XDA users. This have same function for EFS backup as PRO Only difference is Free version save backup in IntSD/MyEFS folder and if you make repeat backup, older one will be overwrite unless you move manually. While PRO version will store backup in MyEFS_date_time_your IMEI and it will create new folder every time and keep all backup on different folder.)

Last edited:

dr.ketan

Apr 9, 2011
Gujarat, India
drketanrom.com
What is EFS

This part of the device contains some important and some basic info related to our device identity like Bluetooth MAC address, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code (also in the nv_data.bin) and the very main IMEI address (nv_data.bin), programming parameters for the device such as your account information (phone number, etc), data provisioning parameters, and a whole bunch of other things. So you can guess it's will be different for each device and one can't use others. In latest samsung device this information store in other partition so requires to make backup of that partition too.

How it can corrupt :

- Any bad flashing, mishandling system modification can cause this.
- Also It can be corrupted by downgrading stock ROM. If you flash any old ROM on newer ROM it can corrupt EFS. Basically newer ROM believed to have new kernel that changes EFS data which older Modems can't read and results to fail in reading IMEI.

Impact on device/How I know I have corrupted EFS

When there is EFS partition is corrupted, device loses IMEI and due to this device can't gets connected to network. Baseband info also sometimes shows unknown.
-Check your IMEI in setting / by dialling *#06# if it is null OR if it starts with 0049** then IMEI is generic and corrupted. In Normal case IMEI which you can see in device setting or dialing *#06# is exactly same you can see on bill/box/sticker under battery compartment
-If you are unable to connect to network in spite of correct IMEI, chance are
A. Your device is Locked to specific Network OR
B. Your device is banned due to tempered IMEI
-If your AP,CP,CSC all are correct and even you are getting error (unknown CSC XXX) on kies update, it may be due to corrupt Product code in EFS. Read This for detail.

What care should i take
Before flashing anything, first thing you should do is to make EFS backup. Every person who have rooted device should make EFS backup earliest and place it to safer place on PC and /Cloud.
If you are on older ROM, make EFS backup on older ROM as well make another after upgrading ROM too.
If you have already updated to newer ROM, make backup on current ROM.

Exit "Permanent Safe Mode" This condition represent with loss of IMEI + yellow text box on homescreen with device info.here is Screenshot

attachment.php

Here is different method to remove it.

Method1 :
Open root explorer.
Navigate to /efs/FactoryApp/
Open "factorymode" file as Text and edit it:
Change this:

Code:
OFF
To:
Code:
ON

Open "keystr" file as Text and edit it:
Code:
OFF
To:

Code:
ON
Reboot device.

Method2:

Open Terminal emulator
Write the following:
Code:
su
Then click enter. It will ask for super user permission, give it permissions.
Write the following & click enter:
Code:
rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

Code:
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

Code:
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

Code:
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
Reboot your device

Method3

Install attached safemode_exit apk as regular app. Open from drawer - Grant su permission - Reboot when asked.

e:failed to mount /efs(invalid argument) error with bootloop

This condition usually happens with using unsupported tool (usually from play store).

To recover this, needs to use adb shell

Code:
adb shell
 mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]x[/COLOR]
 mount-w-t ext4 / dev/block/mmcblk0p[COLOR="red"]x[/COLOR] / efs

x means your device EFS partition number

PS : It needs CWM and busybox installed.

Last edited:

dr.ketan

Apr 9, 2011
Gujarat, India
drketanrom.com
So the backup goes into a folder called "MyEFS" on internal SD card initially and you have to store it away in a safe place, right?
correct.
If you making subsequent backup, you should move/rename older backup otherwise it will be replaced. (For Pro version it will create everytime new folder bcoz it stamps time of backup, so they need not to rename)
But for both version I recommend to keep extra copy on Cloud/PC

dr.ketan

Apr 9, 2011
Gujarat, India
drketanrom.com
More than 50 download, can anyone tell me it's fine and backup created as per said in MyEFS folder for free users
Also few user have purchased, kindly tell me if it is working as per said.
Also tell me size of backup of all three files except build.prop
Thank you.

Reactions: biyolog4472

macheteZen

Nov 24, 2010
Denver
Easy and fast.

More than 50 download, can anyone tell me it's fine and backup created as per said in MyEFS folder for free users
Thank you.

Thanks, works quite effortlessly. As for backup sizes... I'm on a G900T. efs.img.ext4=14MB, nvrebuild1.bin=3MB, nvrebuild2=3MB.

Reactions: dr.ketan
X

xtechx

Thank you.

it worked for me in both free and paid. efs=14MB, nv1=3MB, nv2=3MB

odjmoon

Nov 7, 2008
change imei

hello I need to change the IMEI of my device g900m someone could help me with a link how to do that?And if I take the backup of another cell g900m will change my IMEI?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [V1.0]01.05.14 EFS/IMEI Tool G900M/F/T Cmplete backup EFS + Modemst1 and 2 (Needs Rooted device)

attachment.php

As we know on qualcomm device IMEI number no more stored on EFS partition so no meaning to make backup of only efs.img
    Here is simple tool to make backup of complete IMEI (efs.img.ext4 + nvrebuild1.bin and nvrebuild2.bin)

As we know sometimes we do have multiple device and multiple backup and that making us confuse which backup is for which device, also it difficult to guess when exactly we made particular backup. to overcome all these issue this tool will make backup in folder name MyEFS_MM-dd-yyyy_hh.mm_Device IMEI So you can keep multiple backup. (* This is Pro feature)
    Also it will copy build prop file along with backup, so that will give complete information about your ROM when you made backup.

- To backup long press EFS backup option icon, it will backup all three required partition like efs.img.ext4,nvrebuild1.bin and nvrebuild2.bin. Also you will find build.prop file, which is just to get information about ROM when backup was created.
    - To restore simply copy all three backup files efs.img.ext4, nvrebuild1.bin and nvrebuild2.bin to root directory of Int SD card and then long press Restore option icon.

Read this for more about EFS
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2420881

ChangeLog
    V1.0 Initial version

Needs Rooted device

Download : (If your device model is different read this to add support for your device)

Pro Version

OR

IMEI Tool G900M/F/T Free 1.0 - Download for free for XDA users. This have same function for EFS backup as PRO Only difference is Free version save backup in IntSD/MyEFS folder and if you make repeat backup, older one will be overwrite unless you move manually. While PRO version will store backup in MyEFS_date_time_your IMEI and it will create new folder every time and keep all backup on different folder.)
    What is EFS

This part of the device contains some important and some basic info related to our device identity like Bluetooth MAC address, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code (also in the nv_data.bin) and the very main IMEI address (nv_data.bin), programming parameters for the device such as your account information (phone number, etc), data provisioning parameters, and a whole bunch of other things. So you can guess it's will be different for each device and one can't use others. In latest samsung device this information store in other partition so requires to make backup of that partition too.

How it can corrupt :

- Any bad flashing, mishandling system modification can cause this.
    - Also It can be corrupted by downgrading stock ROM. If you flash any old ROM on newer ROM it can corrupt EFS. Basically newer ROM believed to have new kernel that changes EFS data which older Modems can't read and results to fail in reading IMEI.

Impact on device/How I know I have corrupted EFS

When there is EFS partition is corrupted, device loses IMEI and due to this device can't gets connected to network. Baseband info also sometimes shows unknown.
    -Check your IMEI in setting / by dialling *#06# if it is null OR if it starts with 0049** then IMEI is generic and corrupted. In Normal case IMEI which you can see in device setting or dialing *#06# is exactly same you can see on bill/box/sticker under battery compartment
    -If you are unable to connect to network in spite of correct IMEI, chance are
    A. Your device is Locked to specific Network OR
    B. Your device is banned due to tempered IMEI
    -If your AP,CP,CSC all are correct and even you are getting error (unknown CSC XXX) on kies update, it may be due to corrupt Product code in EFS. Read This for detail.

What care should i take
    Before flashing anything, first thing you should do is to make EFS backup. Every person who have rooted device should make EFS backup earliest and place it to safer place on PC and /Cloud.
    If you are on older ROM, make EFS backup on older ROM as well make another after upgrading ROM too.
    If you have already updated to newer ROM, make backup on current ROM.

Exit "Permanent Safe Mode" This condition represent with loss of IMEI + yellow text box on homescreen with device info.here is Screenshot

attachment.php

Here is different method to remove it.

Method1 :
    Open root explorer.
    Navigate to /efs/FactoryApp/
    Open "factorymode" file as Text and edit it:
    Change this:

Code:
    OFF
    To:
    Code:
    ON

Open "keystr" file as Text and edit it:
    Code:
    OFF
    To:

Code:
    ON
    Reboot device.

Method2:

Open Terminal emulator
    Write the following:
    Code:
    su
    Then click enter. It will ask for super user permission, give it permissions.
    Code:
    rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
    rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

Code:
    echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
    echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

Code:
    chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
    chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

Code:
    chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr

Code:
    chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    Reboot your device

Method3

Install attached safemode_exit apk as regular app. Open from drawer - Grant su permission - Reboot when asked.

e:failed to mount /efs(invalid argument) error with bootloop

This condition usually happens with using unsupported tool (usually from play store).

To recover this, needs to use adb shell

Code:
    adb shell
     mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]x[/COLOR]
     mount-w-t ext4 / dev/block/mmcblk0p[COLOR="red"]x[/COLOR] / efs

x means your device EFS partition number

PS : It needs CWM and busybox installed.
    Important information about EFS and Safemod exit tool updated to post #2
    So the backup goes into a folder called "MyEFS" on internal SD card initially and you have to store it away in a safe place, right?
    correct.
    If you making subsequent backup, you should move/rename older backup otherwise it will be replaced. (For Pro version it will create everytime new folder bcoz it stamps time of backup, so they need not to rename)
    But for both version I recommend to keep extra copy on Cloud/PC
    Check your supersu app tab. Have you granted supersu permission?
    If it's not green then select to forget and re do backup and grant permission when ask.

Sent from my SM-N900 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone