Question V4A (Viper4Android) on Pixel 7 Pro

Search This thread

sharkie405

Dec 22, 2008
the depths
Hey! Quick update, I released an alpha build, you can find it here: https://github.com/AndroidAudioMods/ViPER4AndroidApp/releases/

It's just a test build, many things won't work, the app might crash if trying to load a preset, etc. Follow the instructions in the release to install it. Do not use any other audio mod, no AML or anything.
This is working great on my Pixel 6 pro running Android 13 December update RiceDroid. I've only used it while playing music from the phone speakers and from my car speakers via Bluetooth, but in both instances it's working great.

Thanks for this!

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Where are convolvers to be found for download?
Go to the V4A and JamesDSP Telegram groups and see if they have links or posted any files.
Are v4a convolvers compatible with jamesdsp?
Yes
Can you explain which portions of v4anand jamesdsp are different and why you're using both? It may be applicable in my decision to use bother or only one. Thanks.
You should just go to the respective threads and read the descriptions, or even better, just try each one yourself.

Reactions: Schroeder09

dd805bb

Sep 18, 2017
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Wavelet is where it's at. Viper was good. Dev is the same and show some love for him. Wavelet is his so is viper. Wavelet for me works just the same for what I use. Great app. Can't say enough. Adb a command & blammo whole app works.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Wavelet is where it's at. Viper was good. Dev is the same and show some love for him. Wavelet is his so is viper. Wavelet for me works just the same for what I use. Great app. Can't say enough. Adb a command & blammo whole app works.

When you adb the command you mean it becomes a system-wide audio app? As I understood it wavelet did everything v4a did BUT there were a few apps like Spotify that it couldn't apply its changes too. You're saying with the ADB commands this a thing or the past and wavelet=v4a. Why not jamesdsp?

dd805bb

Sep 18, 2017
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
When you adb the command you mean it becomes a system-wide audio app? As I understood it wavelet did everything v4a did BUT there were a few apps like Spotify that it couldn't apply its changes too. You're saying with the ADB commands this a thing or the past and wavelet=v4a. Why not jamesdsp?
I never used JamesDSP. I used Viper before. I like the simplicity of it. I use the bass filter and vocal booster. Along with output gain to max out phone speakers and connected Bluetooth speakers. Whenever anything is playing you can change just what is playing and it will recognize that preset whenever that app is playing music. I use YouTube music and not Spotify either so I don't if that works or not. For what I used Viper, wavelet is a great replacement IMO.

Also equalizer presets with some new ones I didn't see in viper. Headphone preset for a ton of earbuds. Pixel Buds are on there too.

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I never used JamesDSP. I used Viper before. I like the simplicity of it. I use the bass filter and vocal booster. Along with output gain to max out phone speakers and connected Bluetooth speakers. Whenever anything is playing you can change just what is playing and it will recognize that preset whenever that app is playing music. I use YouTube music and not Spotify either so I don't if that works or not. For what I used Viper, wavelet is a great replacement IMO.

Also equalizer presets with some new ones I didn't see in viper. Headphone preset for a ton of earbuds. Pixel Buds are on there too.
Aren't the convolvers these presets you speak of? Sounds like your usage is the exact same as mine. I wanted max possible volume but also clarity. I want to boost the vocals too. I listen to a lot of podcasts and radio programs. I don't care to or want bass boost. I prefer clarity for people talking in these long form interviews and shows.

Reactions: dd805bb

dd805bb

Sep 18, 2017
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Aren't the convolvers these presets you speak of? Sounds like your usage is the exact same as mine. I wanted max possible volume but also clarity. I want to boost the vocals too. I listen to a lot of podcasts and radio programs. I don't care to or want bass boost. I prefer clarity for people talking in these long form interviews and shows.
Yes. Definitely help with clarity on vocal booster. I listen to podcasts and it gets some that twang high pitch static out you hear from microphones. Clearer if that makes sense. Free version works great too. I only got the paid version for bass with my bluetooth speaker. And it is loud again.

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
Google Pixel 7 Pro
The latest update is unusable, even disabled AML and JamesDSP. Toggled Legacy Mode and audio drops and cannot activate V4A again until reboot. The multiple ways to activate V4A do not work. It fails every time. Downgraded to 0.1.0 and everything is fine again.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
The latest update is unusable, even disabled AML and JamesDSP. Toggled Legacy Mode and audio drops and cannot activate V4A again until reboot. The multiple ways to activate V4A do not work. It fails every time. Downgraded to 0.1.0 and everything is fine again.
I only had problems with bluetooth but speakers and wired earbuds still working for me on 0.2.0. Of course, bluetooth not working is a deal breaker for many. I think the dev is aware of the bluetooth problems on this version.

Reactions: schmeggy929

vibrantliker

Maybe you wouldn't mind chiming in : Bluetooth working on 0.1.0? Also, are all viper files working ok, like presets, profiles, etc?

marinovedder

Nov 14, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
One question, to all of you V4A users. I was reading a bit in the telegram group for v4a about the "limitations" of the app regarding sampling rate. It is known that v4a is limited to 24/48khz. So anything over that is down sampled I am assuming. I'm not very savvy in this particular subject. So, let's say, my particular music usage is always listening to flac files copied directly to the phone.

Those flac files can go from 16/44 to 24/192. Almost every time I listen to music is through PowerAmp (with the hi-res 24/192+ options for usb dacs available), a usbc dac (either a NextDrive Spectra 32/384 or a Razer THX usbc to 3.5 dongle which I don't know the sampling info, and Sony MDRXB55AP ìn-ear headphones). I rarely listen to those files via bluetooth, but can happen at some point. I never use spotify or streaming music apps.

So, to all of you knowledgeable of this, what is the benefit of using V4A for my listening experience? Is it beneficial for my Pixel 7 Pro?

One question, to all of you V4A users. I was reading a bit in the telegram group for v4a about the "limitations" of the app regarding sampling rate. It is known that v4a is limited to 24/48khz. So anything over that is down sampled I am assuming. I'm not very savvy in this particular subject. So, let's say, my particular music usage is always listening to flac files copied directly to the phone.

Those flac files can go from 16/44 to 24/192. Almost every time I listen to music is through PowerAmp (with the hi-res 24/192+ options for usb dacs available), a usbc dac (either a NextDrive Spectra 32/384 or a Razer THX usbc to 3.5 dongle which I don't know the sampling info, and Sony MDRXB55AP ìn-ear headphones). I rarely listen to those files via bluetooth, but can happen at some point. I never use spotify or streaming music apps.

So, to all of you knowledgeable of this, what is the benefit of using V4A for my listening experience? Is it beneficial for my Pixel 7 Pro?
If you have files above 48kHz and you are using USB DAC, you should use UAPP or Fiio Music as it will pass the audio bit perfect and avoid any resampling. I have used Fiio Music and it asks for exclusive access to the USB DAC and passes the audio to DAC without any resampling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tidal audio volume via bluetooth in my car is quite low. Can using V4A fix this - can i increase the gain of audio over bluetooth?
    Yes, you can!
    A possible light at the end of the tunnel is this project, they are aiming to reverse engineer Viper and modernise the files (hopefully that means using x64!). We'll just have to monitor the progress....

Hi! I'm one of the guys working on that project, and I can already tell you it's going smoothly :)

We have a few effects already working (although some extra work will be needed to check if they are 1:1, any small change in the code can lead to huge changes in audio quality).

My initial goal was indeed creating a 64 bit version of it, and also removing the need for pathing selinux (and yep, i was able to achieve that, no selinux patches needed amymore).

Overall it's looking good but I don't own a Pixel 7 Pro so I'll need some volunteers to test it once it's ready :)
    Hey! Quick update, I released an alpha build, you can find it here: https://github.com/AndroidAudioMods/ViPER4AndroidApp/releases/

It's just a test build, many things won't work, the app might crash if trying to load a preset, etc. Follow the instructions in the release to install it. Do not use any other audio mod, no AML or anything.
    I use wavelet and it works really well. Always had trouble getting v4a working
    V4A doesn't currently work on the Pixel 6 or 7 series running stock Android 13. Some have said it is working on the Pixel 7 Pro running the Corvus rom.
    I can confirm, I have it running on my Pixel 7 Pro with Corvus. No issues with Viper repackaged.... and the sound is fantastic ;-)
    thanks. downloaded jamesDSP and works fine. How can I get the best sound settings? Do you have any tips ?
    There really is no such thing as "best" sound settings. Sound is very subjective. What sounds good to one person may sound bad to another. Also, music genre plays a roll in how you set your sound up, as well as the type of device you are listening through (e.g. one brand/model of earbud will sound different than another and therefore adjustments will have to be made to that specific earbud).

Best is to just play around with the settings until you come up with something you like.