• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

‘Vendor’ partition flash fails part-way. Can't start device.

Search This thread

herbicide

Sep 30, 2016
I'm attempting to re-flash the Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960F) partitions from the official firmware.

Most partitions work, but the “VENDOR” partition fails part-way through.
Heimdall reports “ERROR: Failed to send file part packet!” and the session aborts.

According to the device this is because “SYSTEM REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE:13, BINARY:12 (VENDOR)”

In this state the device refuses to start at all; powering on the device leads instantly to a graphical message:

> An error has occurred while updating the device software.
> Use the Emergency recovery function in the Smart Switch PC software.

I don't use Windows at all, so don't have that software. How can I use Heimdall to flash the full Vendor partition without error?

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
I'm attempting to re-flash the Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960F) partitions from the official firmware.

Most partitions work, but the “VENDOR” partition fails part-way through.
Heimdall reports “ERROR: Failed to send file part packet!” and the session aborts.

According to the device this is because “SYSTEM REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE:13, BINARY:12 (VENDOR)”

In this state the device refuses to start at all; powering on the device leads instantly to a graphical message:

> An error has occurred while updating the device software.
> Use the Emergency recovery function in the Smart Switch PC software.

I don't use Windows at all, so don't have that software. How can I use Heimdall to flash the full Vendor partition without error?
Sorry ... I would get a Windows PC, install Samsung drivers and Odin, then flash stock firmware files (if really needed with pit file for re-partitioning) to the phone.
Just for repairing the device. Then you can give the windows PC back to your friend.

herbicide

Sep 30, 2016
Thanks for the reply:
[…] flash stock firmware files (if really needed with pit file for re-partitioning) to the phone.
When I tried that earlier, the device aborted the flash process and displayed the message
SYSTEM REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE:13, BINARY:12 (VENDOR)
I think Odin running on Windows will simply do the same thing; what would be different if I tried again?

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
Thanks for the reply:

When I tried that earlier, the device aborted the flash process and displayed the message

I think Odin running on Windows will simply do the same thing; what would be different if I tried again?
IDK about Heimdall, but there are patched versions of Odin available with which you can skip some file version validations.
And with Odin you can explicitly flash a pit file to re-partition the internal storage.

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
Oh, that sounds useful. Where can I find that patched Odin?
There are several versions available, such as here:
Be careful to flash only files that are compatible with your exact device model.

herbicide

Sep 30, 2016
Be careful to flash only files that are compatible with your exact device model.
One thing I wonder is whether I already attempted to flash the wrong firmware.

If that's what I did, have I actually made the problem worse? Or will flashing the correct firmware work anyway?

herbicide

Sep 30, 2016
this means, the firmware you'll install is to old.
you can't downgrade your device.
Ah, that makes sense. And if I simply flash a newer firmware now, the earlier failure does not matter. Right?

search for frija or samfirm reborn (both windows) here in xda to get an actually Firmware, use binary nature.
I have found a firmware that appears to match, at https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-G960F/XSA/G960FXXUFFUC6

any reason why that is a bad choice?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SYSTEM REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE:13, BINARY:12 (VENDOR)
    this means, the firmware you'll install is to old.
    you can't downgrade your device.
    search for frija or samfirm reborn (both windows) here in xda to get an actually Firmware, use binary nature.