Verizon 4g lte on Sprint!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mrrogers1

Jun 30, 2007
NEEEEBRASKA
Anyone who would care to see data, detailed data on signal and "who's" network you are on should try out this great app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalchecklite . We're getting our LTE rolled out where I live and the app is a great tool for piecing together where your LTE towers are, strength etc... A nice perk is you can also see who's system you are are roaming (or otherwise) using. :)

I forced roam to take this screen shot just now

qu7a4uve.jpg

and here is a LTE screen i took last week on my way to Kansas City (Sprint Head quarters) in a rather rural stretch of road

syjuna6u.jpg

and for the grand finale, here is some Sprint 800mHz voice while i was in KC :D

nyhuga5y.jpg

Get the pro version of the app!

Sent from my HTC d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

numus

Jan 8, 2008
Anyone who would care to see data, detailed data on signal and "who's" network you are on should try out this great app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalchecklite . We're getting our LTE rolled out where I live and the app is a great tool for piecing together where your LTE towers are, strength etc... A nice perk is you can also see who's system you are are roaming (or otherwise) using. :)

qu7a4uve.jpg

and here is a LTE screen i took last week on my way to Kansas City (Sprint Head quarters) in a rather rural stretch of road

syjuna6u.jpg

nyhuga5y.jpg

Tallahassee isn't even close to 800 mhz rollout (they haven't even started implementing the hardware) :( Granted we still don't have LTE officially launched and we were on either the 1st or 2nd round of "announced future markets".

motoelliot

Nov 23, 2010
I got 4g for a few min in Washington, just south of Pittsburgh today. But it was pretty sporadic...

Sent from my aluminum T.A.R.D.I.S using taptalk 4 beta

volk9029

May 10, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

qu7a4uve.jpg

syjuna6u.jpg

nyhuga5y.jpg

Thanks for the app. I just checked on force roaming, my phone connects to Verizon lte. I am on sprint's prl 55015. uploadfromtaptalk1375758146563.jpg
That is interesting.
Sent from my lair.

Reactions: olorolo

volk9029

May 10, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Checking with some serious Sprint LTE heads to see what they think of this. Very, very interesting indeed!

Yes, very strange. I am in Brooklyn, NY. I noticed before a few times when I forced roam, just to check, phone would have lte. We have lte from sprint. I get decent speeds.

Sent from my lair.

mikejeep

Aug 27, 2009
New England
Thanks for the app. I just checked on force roaming, my phone connects to Verizon lte. I am on sprint's prl 55015. View attachment 2168006
That is interesting.
Sent from my lair.

The app shows the carrier name for your 1X connection; you are connected to a Verizon 1X site. You are still on Sprint LTE. Currently, there is no LTE roaming between the major carriers.

-Mike

numus

Jan 8, 2008
The app shows the carrier name for your 1X connection; you are connected to a Verizon 1X site. You are still on Sprint LTE. Currently, there is no LTE roaming between the major carriers.

-Mike

Here is a rough idea of what would have to be happening for you to roam on Verizon LTE:
1) Verizon violates every FCC law out there and illegally starts broadcasting LTE on 1900 MHz PCS (according to their allowable use of spectrum in the PCS band)
2) Verizon has to physically purchase hardware to broadcast LTE on 1900 MHz PCS spectrum
3) Verizon is specifically operating this network 100% for the benefit of Sprint Customers. Since Sprint is the only carrier legally allowed by the FCC to allocate bandwidth in the 1900 MHz band.

Reactions: jerdog

volk9029

May 10, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

-Mike

I understand what you said but why it says lte (Verizon) in top right corner. When I am on sprint's lte it says lte (Sprint)? uploadfromtaptalk1375762860385.jpg

Sent from my lair.

numus

Jan 8, 2008
I understand what you said but why it says lte (Verizon) in top right corner. When I am on sprint's lte it says lte (Sprint)? View attachment 2168082

Sent from my lair.

The name is based on the 1xRTT connection, not the data connection.

Once again...

IT,,, IS... 100%.. PHYSICALLY... IMPOSSIBLE... FOR... YOU... TO... BE... ON... VERIZON.... LTE

Last edited:

volk9029

May 10, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Once again...

IT,,, IS... 100%.. PHYSICALLY... IMPOSSIBLE... FOR... YOU... TO... BE... ON... VERIZON.... LTE

I agree with you 100 % Unless Verizon uses Sprint spectrum to broadcast. Here's screen shot, when I switched to cdma only. Then forced roam. It says ehrpd (Verizon) which is more confusing because I am on sprint's prl 55015. I should not be roaming on 3 g. uploadfromtaptalk1375764529626.jpguploadfromtaptalk1375764547277.jpg
Just to add. That it is tranquil rom. It shows 1x properly.
Sent from my lair.

Last edited:

numus

Jan 8, 2008
I agree with you 100 % Unless Verizon uses Sprint spectrum to broadcast. Here's screen shot, when I switched to cdma only. Then forced roam. It says ehrpd (Verizon) which is more confusing because I am on sprint's prl 55015. I should not be roaming on 3 g. View attachment 2168120View attachment 2168121

Sent from my lair.

100% illegal for Verizon to broadcast on Sprint's Spectrum.... The FCC would eat them alive (let alone the fact that Sprint would sue Verizon beyond belief)... They spend billions of dollars on licensing.

Block C – Of the 10 licenses in the C Block, Verizon Wireless bought the 7 that cover the contiguous 48 states (and Hawaii). Those seven licenses cost Verizon roughly $4.7 Billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_2008_wireless_spectrum_auction

For the PCS auctions
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/faculty/weber/papers/pcs_auc.htm

Sprint has absorbed a lot of the other companies, but in 1994 they bought 37.2% of the PCS C block for 2.124 billion

Reactions: volk9029

mikejeep

Aug 27, 2009
New England
I understand what you said but why it says lte (Verizon) in top right corner. When I am on sprint's lte it says lte (Sprint)? View attachment 2168082

Yes, I see that. Despite numerous replies to you explaining most of this already, I am going to give it one last try.. this is not something I am going to go back and forth on beyond this point.

I am the developer who wrote SignalCheck, so I was trying to explain to you how the app works. It displays the current data connection (which is LTE in your case), along with the name of the cellular provider that you currently have a 1X connection with. if there is no 1X connection, the app defaults to the carrier the device is registered with.

Any app that displays your carrier name is showing the 1X provider. No app that I am aware of will show you the name of the cellular provider that you currently have an EV-DO or LTE connection with. Put your device in LTE-only mode and see what provider SignalCheck displays.

You are not connected to Verizon LTE because your HTC One (or whatever device you may be using) physically lacks the capability to do so. Sprint devices do not have the hardware required to connect to Verizon's existing LTE network, which utilizes the 700MHz range. Verizon devices do not have the hardware required to connect to Sprint's existing LTE network, which utilizes the 1900MHz range.

-Mike

numus

Jan 8, 2008
Yes, I see that. Despite numerous replies to you explaining most of this already, I am going to give it one last try.. this is not something I am going to go back and forth on beyond this point.

I am the developer who wrote SignalCheck, so I was trying to explain to you how the app works. It displays the current data connection (which is LTE in your case), along with the name of the cellular provider that you currently have a 1X connection with. if there is no 1X connection, the app defaults to the carrier the device is registered with.

Any app that displays your carrier name is showing the 1X provider. No app that I am aware of will show you the name of the cellular provider that you currently have an EV-DO or LTE connection with. Put your device in LTE-only mode and see what provider SignalCheck displays.

You are not connected to Verizon LTE because your HTC One (or whatever device you may be using) physically lacks the capability to do so. Sprint devices do not have the hardware required to connect to Verizon's existing LTE network, which utilizes the 700MHz range. Verizon devices do not have the hardware required to connect to Sprint's existing LTE network, which utilizes the 1900MHz range.

-Mike

Same will be true when they reallocate spectrum... Sprint on 800 MHz SMR (which just like 700 MHZ the HTC One can not see LTE on 800 MHz SMR) and Verzion on the 1700 MHz AWR bands.... Eventually (in 2015 at the earliest) Verizon is going to dismantle part of their 1xEV-DO system to free up spectrum for LTE on 1900 PCS... Currently there is no mention if they will implement 1x-Advanced for legacy support after they make the switch to VoLTE.

It appears their future goal is to convert 100% of their spectrum to LTE and get rid of CDMA2000.

Reactions: volk9029

volk9029

May 10, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

-Mike

Thank you for the explanation. I understood it the first time. The question is when I force roam only, in different areas that have Lte or 3g, my phone would go to 1x. That is normal. That is expected. Only in Brooklyn i can connected to lte or 3 g while roaming on sprint's prl.

Sent from my lair.

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
May 17, 2007
Gallifrey
How daft are you? You did not understand it the first time because you continue to say your phone is doing something magical. You aren't special and neither is your phone.

You cannot roam on LTE..... Let's say it again. You cannot roam on LTE. You got it? You got it?

Closing this nonsense before more brain cells are lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How daft are you? You did not understand it the first time because you continue to say your phone is doing something magical. You aren't special and neither is your phone.

You cannot roam on LTE..... Let's say it again. You cannot roam on LTE. You got it? You got it?

Closing this nonsense before more brain cells are lost.

qu7a4uve.jpg

syjuna6u.jpg

nyhuga5y.jpg

-Mike

Sent from my lair.

Once again...

if your in Pittsburgh we do have 4g in some places I had it today in swissvale

from a D3rped out m7

yeah I know, i'm in Cheswick and have 4g, but if I drive toward the city I lose it about route 8, I can pick it up in blawnox ok too, I was just trying to tell that dude he was on sprints network not Verizon as he thought
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone