• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Verizon and the Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

xray49er

Mar 13, 2009
Peekskill, NY
I have $200 dollar credit with Verizon I was thinking of pre ordering the phone with Verizon on the 19th. Do you guys think they will gimp the Verizon version like in the past. Locked bootloader, Verizon bloat ware, and slow updates. Or should I just forget the 200 credit and get the phone unlocked from Google and never worry about the Verizon crap.

mikexda

Apr 13, 2011
Central Florida
I have $200 dollar credit with Verizon I was thinking of pre ordering the phone with Verizon on the 19th. Do you guys think they will gimp the Verizon version like in the past. Locked bootloader, Verizon bloat ware, and slow updates. Or should I just forget the 200 credit and get the phone unlocked from Google and never worry about the Verizon crap.
I can't say that I know for sure, but Verizon has crippled every other Pixel that they have offered. I doubt this one will be any different.

Reactions: xray49er

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Verizon phones have been bootloader locked for years, so it is almost certain the Pixel 6 will also be bootloader locked. Personally, I would get the unlocked phone from Google.

Reactions: buschris

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm not based in the US but as others have said, Verizon always lock the bootloader and install bloat so it's likely they will continue that practice.

If the phone is identical (not sure if there will be a special Verizon version to work on different network types) then I would suggest buying direct from Google.

Here in the UK, you can get 24 months 0% interest finance directly on the Google store so you can still spread the cost without paying extra for it. If they do that in the US I think that is your best bet. Hopefully you can use the $200 to pay monthly bills so it doesn't "go to waste".

xray49er

Mar 13, 2009
Peekskill, NY
Yeah That's what I figured I have been using one plus phones the past few years so I went directly through them. I guess Google store it will be.

Reactions: znel52

znel52

Yes 100% they will and there probably won't be a work around. Only buy Verizon if you don't mind locked down devices.

xray49er

Mar 13, 2009
Peekskill, NY
I'm not based in the US but as others have said, Verizon always lock the bootloader and install bloat so it's likely they will continue that practice.

If the phone is identical (not sure if there will be a special Verizon version to work on different network types) then I would suggest buying direct from Google.

Here in the UK, you can get 24 months 0% interest finance directly on the Google store so you can still spread the cost without paying extra for it. If they do that in the US I think that is your best bet. Hopefully you can use the $200 to pay monthly bills so it doesn't "go to waste".
Yeah dont want to open anymore credit lines I am in the middle of buying a house and the 200 is devices only. maybes I'll just use it to get my son a new phone for Christmas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah dont want to open anymore credit lines I am in the middle of buying a house and the 200 is devices only. maybes I'll just use it to get my son a new phone for Christmas
    I can't say that I know for sure, but Verizon has crippled every other Pixel that they have offered. I doubt this one will be any different.
    Verizon phones have been bootloader locked for years, so it is almost certain the Pixel 6 will also be bootloader locked. Personally, I would get the unlocked phone from Google.
    Yeah That's what I figured I have been using one plus phones the past few years so I went directly through them. I guess Google store it will be.