Question Verizon calling problems

Search This thread

swieder711

Lately, I have been having trouble calling and receiving phone calls. I often get an exclamation point next to the cell phone signal icon. Sometime the exclamation goes away. Other times, I get a message that the cellular network is not available.

I tried the following:
  • Reseating the SIM
  • Resetting the network settings
  • Toggle airplane mode
  • Switch Preferred network between LTE and 5G

Results are inconsistent, so I am coming the XDA to see if others have seen this or have suggestion for a fix.

EDIT: Seems to be a common problem, with no clear fix. https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qkag56
thanks

Last edited:

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Lately, I have been having trouble calling and receiving phone calls. I often get an exclamation point next to the cell phone signal icon. Sometime the exclamation goes away. Other times, I get a message that the cellular network is not available.

I tried the following:
  • Reseating the SIM
  • Toggle airplane mode

Results are inconsistent, so I am coming the XDA to see if others have seen this or have suggestion for a fix.

EDIT: Seems to be a common problem, with no clear fix. https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qkag56
thanks
The last option you have before warranty is to re-flash the device. It's worth a shot... When flashing, be sure to enable wipe and force flash partitions (by hitting the pencil for advanced options located on the flasher page).

Google's web flash tool is here.

hpower1

Jan 24, 2012
mine has been doing the same, seems to be really bad last few weeks too. I was planning to do a full reset and see what that does. Good to now about the A13 beta, as that was my next step if full factory reset/flash doesn't help. Thanks for this thread.

swieder711

mine has been doing the same, seems to be really bad last few weeks too. I was planning to do a full reset and see what that does. Good to now about the A13 beta, as that was my next step if full factory reset/flash doesn't help. Thanks for this thread.
The cellular service has definitely gotten worse in the last few weeks. Maybe the June update broke something.

Hard for me to image that I factory reset would help. Can you let us know how that goes for you?

Let's hope the cell service gets better with the July update.

swieder711

I'm going to flash the modem files from Android 13 beta to the June update. Someone with a P6 said that this worked for them.

I just ran the following and see an immediate improvement!
fastboot flash radio radio-raven-g5123b-102852-220609-b-8701566.img

EDIT: I spoke too quickly. Still getting "!" and "mobile network not available"

EDIT2: Since this problem appears to have started for me with the June update, I am going to flash the May update modem file and see how that works. Just ran "fastboot flash radio radio-raven-g5123b-97927-220225-b-8226700.img" Stay tuned.

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I'm going to flash the modem files from Android 13 beta to the June update. Someone with a P6 said that this worked for them.

I just ran the following and see an immediate improvement!
fastboot flash radio radio-raven-g5123b-102852-220609-b-8701566.img

EDIT: I spoke too quickly. Still getting "!" and "mobile network not available"

EDIT2: Since this problem appears to have started for me with the June update, I am going to flash the May update modem file and see how that works. Just ran "fastboot flash radio radio-raven-g5123b-97927-220225-b-8226700.img" Stay tuned.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's the issue. The radio sucks and no amount of software updates or down-dates will fix it. If you need it for work then what I would do is sell it and buy a different phone until they come out with a new device that is as good as the P5. I can be without signal and data for close to 15 minutes while my wife and her P5 never once lost it. Once the ! hits the signal bar it will take me a minimum of 5 - 10 minutes to come back unless I reboot the phone. Then it's only about 5. If I needed it for business or critical functioning I wouldn't be on this forum any longer. Oh yeah, other than that the phone is great. Well... other than mediocre battery life and a FPR that will never success after a shower or swim. And I do mean never.

hpower1

Jan 24, 2012
I decided against a full wipe/install of June update, and just went for the A13 beta 3. Flashed it via the android flash tool, then rooted with magisk. Setting up apps and things now, so I'll report back when I know more. I wanna love this phone, but it has been hard. Hoping this is better. I'll try to probably manage with this until the 7 comes out.

Reactions: swieder711

hpower1

Jan 24, 2012
also for what its worth, swift backup is nice. Restoring my apps and data now, the few I have tested all work as if I didn't update/wipe my phone. Really makes it nice

swieder711

I decided against a full wipe/install of June update, and just went for the A13 beta 3. Flashed it via the android flash tool, then rooted with magisk. Setting up apps and things now, so I'll report back when I know more. I wanna love this phone, but it has been hard. Hoping this is better. I'll try to probably manage with this until the 7 comes out.
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with A13 and if it improves your cellular service.

biggiesmalls657

Feb 2, 2011
OnePlus 11
I would say on my experience, Beta 3 has gotten better but should've been fixed months ago before it was released. I am going to wait a while before I got buy another phone in general

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Getting the same here. Last few weeks have been unbearable. Was just down in the Smoky Mountains on my motorcycle for a week. Spotty coverage is to be expected. But I would get back to town and have to reboot to get coverage again. Still it often went back to the explanation mark after reboot.

This modem is crap, I may break out the Note 20 my kid gave me. I will hate it, but at least I can make calls and text.

Reactions: bobby janow

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Getting the same here. Last few weeks have been unbearable. Was just down in the Smoky Mountains on my motorcycle for a week. Spotty coverage is to be expected. But I would get back to town and have to reboot to get coverage again. Still it often went back to the explanation mark after reboot.

This modem is crap, I may break out the Note 20 my kid gave me. I will hate it, but at least I can make calls and text.
And how we tried. It's just a shame they released this device with hardware that is not useful for network connectivity. And how do we migrate to a P7 after this without making sure they didn't screw up again? I'm at a loss at this point. I'll give it until A13 final and then sell it if nothing changes. I just don't know where to turn but to me the iPhone 13 6" might be it sorry to say. I just can't deal with this crap much longer. Sucks huh?

hpower1

Jan 24, 2012
well after today, I would say its better. But time will tell. Went out several times to different places and I never lost connection. I'll keep you all updated. I will say that on the beta the phone feels much faster and the FP reader seems better too.

I keep saying that I love this phone, and hate it at the same time.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
And how we tried. It's just a shame they released this device with hardware that is not useful for network connectivity. And how do we migrate to a P7 after this without making sure they didn't screw up again? I'm at a loss at this point. I'll give it until A13 final and then sell it if nothing changes. I just don't know where to turn but to me the iPhone 13 6" might be it sorry to say. I just can't deal with this crap much longer. Sucks huh?
Just wondering if you've tried the latest beta using the flash tool and choosing the options wipe and force flash all partitions (which reinstalls all the firmware on the phone).

It would be super frustrating to have signal issues. I've also heard some users who still had issues after re-flashing, were able to get replacements from Google Support.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Just wondering if you've tried the latest beta using the flash tool and choosing the options wipe and force flash all partitions (which reinstalls all the firmware on the phone).

It would be super frustrating to have signal issues. I've also heard some users who still had issues after re-flashing, were able to get replacements from Google Support.
Not yet. I was going to wait for the fall release of A13 before I wiped and finally gave up. It's not often enough, although frustrating, that I have to rely on a reboot to restore connectivity since mostly I've learned to just look the other way, shake my head and wait the 15 minutes. The point being they should never have released this last October with all the fpr issues and radio malfunctioning. This has been ongoing for 9 months already in various iterations. I don't think any other device has these issues other than the P6 series.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I tried the following:
    • Reseating the SIM
    • Toggle airplane mode

thanks
    I had the same problem on Orange network in France but the last android 13 beta (3.2) solved the problem.

I tried the following:
    • Reseating the SIM
    • Toggle airplane mode

thanks
    The last option you have before warranty is to re-flash the device. It's worth a shot... When flashing, be sure to enable wipe and force flash partitions (by hitting the pencil for advanced options located on the flasher page).

Google's web flash tool is here.
    From all appearances, the poor reception is seen as a hardware issue. Now that doesn't mean reception can't be improved by optimizing software, but there's likely a hard ceiling.

Can't remember which article was published when the Tensor chip was first revealed to be based on Exynos designs, but it warned back then, before the P6P was released, that the inherent modem was markedly inferior.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking that prescience has been borne out. This phone has the worst reception of any phone I've had in the past 5-6 years. Still usable for me, but ugh...