Verizon native tether subscription bypass

Vertigoa

Dec 10, 2017
I can confirm that this works. I got it to work on the 2nd try.

Before putting the sim back in, I unlock the phone and go to the hotpot menu. As soon as I pop the sim tray back in I hit wifi hotspot and BINGO!

Thanks for posting this. You just saved my night after a day of moving. I was worried I was going to be up all night with nothing to do!
Has anybody tested the latest technique on oreo 8.0 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpak
Hey guys, I might have figured it out with the Sim trick on the new update.

Follow these steps and it works everytime.

1. Go to settings
2. More
3. Cellular Networks
4. Preferred network type
5. If you are on global change to LTE/CDMA
6. Once you change it, pop the Sim out
7. Phone will take you to the lock screen.
8. Put Sim back in... 4 seconds later, enable the hotspot via pull down menu.
9. It should work.

10. So next time you want to enable to hotspot, you will need to change the network type to Global, then change it back to LTE/CDMA and repeat the Sim trick.
Thanks for this, but I can not get this to work for the life of me. Is there any nuances I'm missing? Like timing maybe?

Pixel XL unlocked from Google on VZW 8.0.0 android

r0n0c

Nov 27, 2010
While messing with the pop SIM in and out method trying to get the timing down I get this text. Looks like the subscription check API call. My phone number and a password field redacted.
//VZWVVM:STATUS:st=R;rc=0;srv=hch1lv.imsvm.com;ipt=143;[email protected];pw=PASSWORD;lang=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;g_len=60;vs_len=10;pw_len=4-7;dev_t=5;vmg_url=https://vmg.vzw.com/VMGIMS/VMServices

GynormousMellon

Sep 14, 2017
I can confirm that this works. I got it to work on the 2nd try.

Before putting the sim back in, I unlock the phone and go to the hotpot menu. As soon as I pop the sim tray back in I hit wifi hotspot and BINGO!

Thanks for posting this. You just saved my night after a day of moving. I was worried I was going to be up all night with nothing to do!
Can anyone confirm if the SIM pop method is still working on Android Pie, 9?

Thanks

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
When was Verizon OKed to block tethering? In 2012 the FCC decided that Verizon can't restrict tether nor can they charge for it, except for some legacy plans.
They never lost the ability to charge for tethering on unlimited plans. What the FCC changed or implemented was that carriers could no longer charge extra for tethering on data plans. But they could charge for tethering on unlimited plans. Which Verizon has all along anyway I believe. That's what legacy plans describe -- unlimited or grandfathered in plans that may have had free tethering for some reason or another. But they was a simple solution to all those grandfathered plans. Those customers were told they could not upgrade at the sale price or subsidize the cost of the phone on those particle plans. They would have to change to another presently offered plans. Which in turn lost the availability to tethering free and back then lost unlimited data. Till they started offering it again of course.

reno218

Dec 13, 2010
I'm on a Verizon Pixel XL using a Verizon SIM on straight talk, I am rooted, all I had to do to get tethering to work was, be rooted, download build.prop editor add net.tethering,noprovisioning true save, restart works.

Reactions: some_shyguy

mhead55

Jun 15, 2017
Can anyone confirm if the SIM pop method is still working on Android Pie, 9?

Thanks
unbelievably yes. I have a galaxy s8 with 9.0 i tired it but i didn't do the global thing. i just popped sim card out, once you do that the screen will lock, while the card tray is out; unlock the screen and get to the mobile hotspot screen once there push card in and wait maybe a second or just over a second then turn on. don't do it right away. the trick to this is turning it on at the exact right time. if you turn on too soon it will say no sim card, if you wait to long it will already be back in 4g. you have to hit that sweet spot where the phone detects a sim card but hasn't fully activated it yet. ive been practicing and its working every time. if a message pops up saying tether provisions keeps crashing make sure you click disable. then try it again after that and it'll work

Last edited:

billa

Mar 30, 2006
I'm on a Verizon Pixel XL using a Verizon SIM on straight talk, I am rooted, all I had to do to get tethering to work was, be rooted, download build.prop editor add net.tethering,noprovisioning true save, restart works.
You've made a small typo by putting a comma between tethering and noprovisioning, it's supposed to be a period like
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
;)

billa

Mar 30, 2006
While messing with the pop SIM in and out method trying to get the timing down I get this text. Looks like the subscription check API call. My phone number and a password field redacted.

That message has nothing to do with tethering, while you were popping the sim in and out, Verizon has resent the Visual Voice mail configuration while sensing that the sim card has been removed, that's all it is.