Verizon native tether subscription bypass

Search This thread

csuwildcat

Nov 11, 2016
Describe the Tasker steps in detail

Can you possibly be more detailed in your steps? I've never used the AutoInput plugin, and it appears your steps for that are assuming a ton of user knowledge.

kenjoma

Jun 30, 2011
Newport Beach
Here is what worked for me:
(I am on a Pixel from the Google store using a Verizon sim on build NDE63X / bootloader unlocked / rooted / on EX kernel)

While the phone is turned on (NOT in download mode), open minimal ADB and push these commands:

1.) adb shell
2.) su
3.) mount -o rw,remount /system_root
4.) cd /system_root/system/
5.) settings put global tether_dun_required 0
6.) echo net.tethering.noprovisioning=true >> /system_root/system/build.prop
7.) adb reboot

Also note, adb reboot command did not reboot my phone, so I did it manually and it worked out fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zlatty

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
When was Verizon OKed to block tethering? In 2012 the FCC decided that Verizon can't restrict tether nor can they charge for it, except for some legacy plans.
That's exactly it. Tethering IS allowed by VZW... Except the legacy plans. Unlimited Data Plans (UDP) are legacy plans and they are allowed to block it for us. So pretty much this entire thread is for UDP.

My only reason for rooting has been for tethering my UDP but as long as the signal refresher app trick works, I will hold out from rooting this device until the build.prop edit is the o lyrics solution.

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
Is the refresh method still working?? I can't seem to get it to work. :(
Works for me. Put the network refresher app on your home screen and put the Hotspot in your quick pull down menu. Mine is right in the middle of the first 6. Hit the app, hit refresh and immediately pull down and hit the Hotspot. Takes a few seconds for the Hotspot to light up

CtK4949

Aug 6, 2010
Works for me. Put the network refresher app on your home screen and put the Hotspot in your quick pull down menu. Mine is right in the middle of the first 6. Hit the app, hit refresh and immediately pull down and hit the Hotspot. Takes a few seconds for the Hotspot to light up

OK I got it, nice...thanks!! :)

djeddieone

Aug 24, 2010
Los Angeles
www.djeddieone.com
it works!

I can confirm this works you just have to be quick go to settings portable hot spot then go to the refresh app hit refresh then go to recent apps and jump back to settings portable hot spot and turn it on before the signal comes back on.

Thank you!

Reactions: mdkmojmoj

jraskal

May 25, 2010
Has this been broken for anyone that updates recently to the 7.1.1 OTA? I'm using a regular Pixel (non XL) and the Refresher trick no longer works.

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
That sucks. Anybody roll back to a prior image and check if works after rolling back? I'm gonna avoid it as I need tethering.

cccoltsicehockey

Jan 15, 2008
So I can either keep tethering working or do the update and get my bluetooth to work in my car. Damn this almost tempts me to just stick with my 6P since both worked with no issue.

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
So I can either keep tethering working or do the update and get my bluetooth to work in my car. Damn this almost tempts me to just stick with my 6P since both worked with no issue.
I hear you. I'd root and do the workaround that way... But I like android pay. So question is, which is more important... Android pay... Or tether. I'm sticking with what I got for now.... But if I have to choose... I choose tether.

cjkacz

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 11, 2013
Sardinia
www.teamoctos.com
I hear you. I'd root and do the workaround that way... But I like android pay. So question is, which is more important... Android pay... Or tether. I'm sticking with what I got for now.... But if I have to choose... I choose tether.

isn't the bootloader exploit blocked as well with 7.1.1? Which would mean no way to root to get hotspot?

jraskal

May 25, 2010
USB tethering by clockworkmod still works. I've been using that as a back up

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cjkacz

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 11, 2013
Sardinia
www.teamoctos.com
I already unlocked the bootloader... And if you bought a GPS edition you can still unlock the bootloader

I have mine from google and its unlocked. My wife has hers from Verizon and has unlimited data. SHe took the ota yesterday before I could tell her not to. So not only can I not unlock her bootloader or root the phone. Now we cant use her hotspot. Bad day all around

Top Liked Posts