• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Verizon Nexus One Officially Dead

Search This thread

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot.com/2010/04/update-on-nexus-one-partnerships.html

Nexus One News and Updates
Monday, April 26, 2010

An update on Nexus One partnerships
When we launched Nexus One in January, we announced partnerships with Vodafone in Europe and Verizon Wireless in the US. We have news on both fronts.

Today, Vodafone begins accepting pre-orders for Nexus One from customers in the United Kingdom at www.vodafone.co.uk/nexusone, and on April 30th Vodafone will start selling Nexus One in their UK stores, online, and over the phone. Soon after, they will also begin selling Nexus One in France (SFR), Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Spain. Vodafone is our first European partner to distribute the Nexus One.

In the US, if you’ve been waiting for the Nexus One for Verizon Wireless’ network, head over to http://phones.verizonwireless.com/htc/incredible to pre-order the Droid Incredible by HTC, a powerful new Android phone and a cousin of the Nexus One that is similarly feature-packed. It will be available in stores on April 29th.

We are very pleased with the amazing pace of innovation and strength of the Android ecosystem and to be working with partners around the world to bring the Android experience to more people.

BOOM.

Verizon Nexus One goes POOF.

My guess? Verizon didn't want the phone due to the 3G issues. Not that it's definitely a hardware issue, but they probably didn't want to take the chance.

PrawnPoBoy

Apr 18, 2010
BOOM.

Verizon Nexus One goes POOF.

My guess? Verizon didn't want the phone due to the 3G issues. Not that it's definitely a hardware issue, but they probably didn't want to take the chance.

Why would the CMDA version have the same 3G issues? It would have used a completely different radio than the current N1. I highly doubt that was the reason. My guess it that they either believe the Incredible would take too many N1 sales to make it profitable, or Verizon wants more control of the device than Google is willing to give them.

Regardless, it's not completely dead yet and there's still a chance Sprint will get it. I still don't know how well an unlocked CDMA phone could work though.

Last edited:

3bs

Jan 2, 2008
Doubtful that the 3G issues had anything to do with it. They most likely didn't want 2 nearly identical models to deal with. It wouldn't make any sense to carry both the Nexus One and the Incredible. On top of that, the Nexus One wouldn't be filled with the Verizon bloatware that the Incredible most likely will be.

D

diversificationied

Verizon probably wouldn't budge on their programming prices for the phones is the most likely reason.

wondercoolguy

Oct 26, 2009
Texas
www.twitter.com
I'm sure it had everything to do with the fact that why would you buy a phone for 529 when you can get almost the same phone for 199. N1 would have super failed on Verizon worse than TMO and ATT versions

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Why would the CMDA version have the same 3G issues? It would have used a completely different radio than the current N1.

I believe the issues are with the radio being at the bottom, so the signal dropping by hand covering the bottom would affect it the same way.

I highly doubt that was the reason. My guess it that they either believe the Incredible would take too many N1 sales to make it profitable, or Verizon wants more control of the device than Google is willing to give them.

Well, the Incredible has no bloatware to be found (see the videos on YouTube, particularly the ones by "jon4lakers"). The device is completely untouched, especially in comparison to AT&T's Backflip.

Regardless, it's not completely dead yet and there's still a chance Sprint will get it. I still don't know how well an unlocked CDMA phone could work though.

I think CDMA phones can not be transferred from Sprint to Verizon. Someone correct me if that's wrong, but I've never heard of that happening.

D

diversificationied

I don't think they had planned to sell the phone standalone. It would have been subsidized like the t-mobile plan.

arkavat

Apr 2, 2008
It's not too complicated...
Neither verizon..nor HTC would like for N1 to directly compete with their new phone. Google also has mentioned many times that N1 is not a competition to other android phones. they don't want to upset their partners.

Verizon just launched incredible, which is almost the same as nexus one. Verizon can change the name of incredible to match their droid branding.. which is not possbile with nexus one

further, incredible is verizon phone and they get all the profit from it.. not google. when I was talking with t-mobile they told me that T-Mobile has no profit or financial agreement with google.. infact the subsidy on the phone is by google and not t-mobile.

Again.. i can't stress more..but all phones have problems when back is covered. All phones have specific intructions in user manual to avoid covering the back. N1 does not have 3G issues.. it's t-mobile

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I believe the issues are with the radio being at the bottom, so the signal dropping by hand covering the bottom would affect it the same way.

Well, the Incredible has no bloatware to be found (see the videos on YouTube, particularly the ones by "jon4lakers"). The device is completely untouched, especially in comparison to AT&T's Backflip.

I think CDMA phones can not be transferred from Sprint to Verizon. Someone correct me if that's wrong, but I've never heard of that happening.

You are correct, CDMA phones cannot be transferred between Sprint and Verizon

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
It's not too complicated...
Neither verizon..nor HTC would like for N1 to directly compete with their new phone. Google also has mentioned many times that N1 is not a competition to other android phones. they don't want to upset their partners.

Verizon just launched incredible, which is almost the same as nexus one. Verizon can change the name of incredible to match their droid branding.. which is not possbile with nexus one

further, incredible is verizon phone and they get all the profit from it.. not google. when I was talking with t-mobile they told me that T-Mobile has no profit or financial agreement with google.. infact the subsidy on the phone is by google and not t-mobile.

Again.. i can't stress more..but all phones have problems when back is covered. All phones have specific intructions in user manual to avoid covering the back. N1 does not have 3G issues.. it's t-mobile

I disagree. I see 0 downsides from having both the N1 and the Incredible available.

- The phone market in both cases is HTC, so they don't care.
- The carrier will be Verizon in both cases, so they don't care.

The only difference is that someone who has a strong preference for the N1 (standard OS, the looks, or otherwise), can get it.

A Verizon N1 will only bring in MORE customers to Verizon and HTC; there's no way it could affect either of them negatively.

nephroid

Feb 26, 2010
Newport Beach
I don't get it.

Beyond not trying to screw their partnership with HTC by having both the Incredible and Nexus One on Verizon at the same time this doesn't make much sense. GSM is the way to go for an open platform anyway. It's a lot easier to just switch out the SIM. No need to contact Verizon or Sprint to let them know which phone you're running.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
There is overhead such as the per device training on support, stocking, advertising, that come with any handset. On cdma you do not get the advantages of having a sim and on verizon you already have another phone that is very similar but superior in some respects. Most importantly to the average user who does not know about and will never do many of the things that we would call advantages with the nexus one the things like 8 megapixel camera loom larger. It would be my guess that verizon looked at the number of expected sales versus the cost of carrying the handset and decided it didnt pencil out, simple as that. One thing for certain, it always comes down to the money.

arkavat

Apr 2, 2008
There is overhead such as the per device training on support, stocking, advertising, that come with any handset. On cdma you do not get the advantages of having a sim and on verizon you already have another phone that is very similar but superior in some respects. Most importantly to the average user who does not know about and will never do many of the things that we would call advantages with the nexus one the things like 8 megapixel camera loom larger. It would be my guess that verizon looked at the number of expected sales versus the cost of carrying the handset and decided it didnt pencil out, simple as that. One thing for certain, it always comes down to the money.

Very well said.

Paul,
Verizon and HTC are both together in incredible. Verizon has invested in that phone. They want it to sell more than Nexus One.
Google makes lot of money from N1... they released the revenue this quarter... and none of that went to T-Mobile.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Google makes lot of money from N1... they released the revenue this quarter... and none of that went to T-Mobile.

Can you provide a link for this?

I have never seen Google or T-Mobile say anything official about how the profits from the phone are distributed. (And I doubt they would do something like this, as companies usually do not.)

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
Actually, the article didn't say the Nexus One for Verizon was dead. It just suggested buying the Incredible, similar to how they pointed people to the Droid previously in the "can't wait" link. The AT&T N1 came from nowhere.

Paul, you may be right, but I'd wait for further clarification on this before I'd pronounce the VZ-N1 dead.

I disagree. I see 0 downsides from having both the N1 and the Incredible available.

- The phone market in both cases is HTC, so they don't care.
- The carrier will be Verizon in both cases, so they don't care.

The only difference is that someone who has a strong preference for the N1 (standard OS, the looks, or otherwise), can get it.

A Verizon N1 will only bring in MORE customers to Verizon and HTC; there's no way it could affect either of them negatively.

I agree with this. Further, I would think that having a DEV phone on Verizon would be hugely important to Google. Until the Incredible/Desires are rooted, there is no DEV equivalent to the N1.

Like AT&T, Verizon doesn't have to support it to allow it to connect.

Last edited:

ap3604

Feb 20, 2010
If this development is true its things like this make me more and more mad at the so called "premium" companies like Verizon. Always putting restrictions on what their customers can do instead of giving them the options they want.

Isnt that what people hate Apple for too?

Last edited:

methodz

Nov 25, 2008
krabman is right. you have 2 similar products, verizon backs the incredible though. they must have sat down and crunched numbers out and figured making a cdma verizon n1 wont be worth it vs its projected sales.

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
Well ****. The Incredible's hardware is impressive, but it is looking to be one closed POS like every other recent HTC phone. It'll also probably have the ridiculous memory protection scheme of HTC that prevents writing to the system partition. Sounds like the deal between Google and Verizon fell through, because there's definitely code in AOSP for the CDMA mahimahi. The problem is that Verizon can decide whatever comes in or out of their network and they are likely none too pleased with Google's new business model.

No fastboot oem unlock = ABSOLUTELY the wrong direction for Android, do not like.

Last edited: