• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Verizon Nexus One Officially Dead

Search This thread

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Now its official from google itself, cut and paste.... We won't be selling a Nexus One with Verizon, and this is a reflection of the amazing innovation happening across the open Android ecosystem. Verizon Wireless customers who want an Android phone with the power of the Nexus One can get the Droid Incredible by HTC.

Why did you post a quote (without using the quote tag), and without providing the link?

Come on man...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/google-updates-nexus-one-page-tells-verizon-customers-to-get-a/

Google updates Nexus One page, tells Verizon customers to get a Droid Incredible instead (update: the Verizon Nexus One is dead)

Now this, this is all kinds of silly. Google has been busy updating its phone sales site, and the latest word for Verizon Wireless subscribers encourages them to look at the "similarly feature-packed" cousin of the Nexus One, the Incredible. Importantly, what's missing from the new wording is the "coming soon" tag, suggesting that for all intents and purposes the Nexus has been obviated by the arrival of the Incredible. In a separate blog post updating us on carrier partnerships, Google again reiterates its mini-advert for the new HTC phone on Verizon while keeping mum about the Nexus One's future. A true CDMA variant of le superphone should still be coming wearing Sprint regalia, but it's disappointing to see Google use such doublespeak techniques. Is the Verizon Nexus canceled or not?

Update: We just heard back from Google -- the Verizon Nexus One is dead; long live the Incredible. Here's the official statement:

We won't be selling a Nexus One with Verizon, and this is a reflection of the amazing innovation happening across the open Android ecosystem. Verizon Wireless customers who want an Android phone with the power of the Nexus One can get the Droid Incredible by HTC.

Now, that's certainly reasonable, given the similarities between the Nexus One and the Incredible, but here's a question: given that the Incredible runs Sense on top of Android, isn't the closest Verizon analogue to the Nexus One experience actually the Droid, which runs stock Android 2.1? Considering Motorola's recent moves away from Google, maybe this is a sign of something deeper.

Eclair~

Dec 21, 2009
I am starting to feel weird about having a Nexus now, are we gonna get shoved aside?

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
I am starting to feel weird about having a Nexus now, are we gonna get shoved aside?

How so?

Vodafone is getting the N1 officially now.

And the Incredible will almost assuredly not have a 10 second 1-command unlock method like the Nexus One does.

The N1 will remain crowned the Android dev/hacker phone for years to come. Which means we'll get updates first, no matter whether it's from Google (or otherwise... :D)

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Because I dont care about all the fancy shmancy stuff, the only thing that matters is what I cut and pasted. Plus I knew you would come behind me to provide a fully featured post :)

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot.com/2010/04/update-on-nexus-one-partnerships.html

Is this what your asking for?

I went to google.com/phone and clicked on the most recent news article.

Nope, we had that. I was looking for the source of the "We won't be selling" part. Looks like it's a form letter they used to reply to a kazillion inquiries from the blog sites, because they are all evidently quoting the exact same words. Yep, it looks pretty official now. Paul had the news right.

With damn near every competent developer in the Android community invested in it, it's unlikely the N1 won't be sporting bleeding edge software for quite a while.

How so?

Vodafone is getting the N1 officially now.

And the rest of Europe shortly afterwards.

Last edited: