• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Verizon Note 7 Recall Procedures [Discussion]

Search This thread

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Dev / Dev Relations
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
Hey All!

I started this thread as I saw one similar for Amazon but wanted an area to discuss the recall specifically from Verizon as I have heard many different things and little information is available online as well as it keeps changing.

1st DiscussionI had:
I broke my Note 7 the same day Samsung announced the recall. Of course Verizonor Samsung reps were not helpful at all this day.

2nd Discusion:
A few days later I called Samsung and discussed what was going on and all they could say was to go through my carrier to see what procedures they have in place but they are taking them back in ANY condition.

3rd Discussion:
Called Verizon store and they said I couldexchange it or return it but had to be before Sept. 30th. I advised I think I was past due so he said i needed to be current. Ihad a rough chat after this as I explained I got a recalled device but they wont have replacement Note 7s by that time and if I return my phone I wont have one to use and the next best thing being the S7 Edge which I traded in my S7 for the Note 7 sowhy the heck would I go back to my original device that I owned and have to pay installments on it? I said this is all depending I can get current prior tothe 30th. He basically said good luck and that was that.

4th Discussion:
Same day I immediately called customer care and they toldmesimilar but turns out I wasonly 12$ past due smh.

5th Discussion:
Same day went down to the store and paid the 12$. Thinking I had no choice, Iexchanged my broken Note 7 for aNew S7 Edge. I was told once I exchanged it that was it and I cannot get the Note 7 when they recieve replacements. I told the lady I had no choice and made the switch.

6th Discussion:
Today I called customer care to make a payment and figured I would ask about the Note 7 again. This rep proceeds to tell me that even though I exchanged it for another device, I CAN STILL change it again for the Note 7 once available. She stated that the store rep advised incorrectly and that might have been the case at that moment in time but they have internal links and documents stores can reference saying we will replace it for all original Note 7 users regardless if they already exchanged it. So essentially she is saying I exchanged my original Note 7 for a new S7 Edge and can exchange it again for a new Note 7 once available.

I have read others being advised differently so post below your experiences and any related links or documents confirming my last discussion or call them yourselves and share what they advise to you!

I really hope I can get a Note 7 once available again as that is the phone I wanted and originally purchased but initial associates forced me to exchange by making it seem there was no other option on top of a strict deadline with 0 idea when new ones would be available.

Reactions: jjayzx
Apr 8, 2009
I exchanged my Note 7 for an HTC 10 on Monday 9/12, the lady that helped me told me that i could go back and exchange the HTC 10 for a replacement Note 7 once they get them in stock. She said it would be one to two weeks and that i would have to keep checking in to see if they had them in, there was no wait list or anything like that.

But you're right, the in-store people mostly don't know. i had gone the day before, Sunday 9/11, and the person i talked to that day told me that i would have to hold onto my original Note 7 till they got replacements, that they weren't doing any exchanges.

Reactions: elliwigy

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
I exchanged my Note 7 for an HTC 10 on Monday 9/12, the lady that helped me told me that i could go back and exchange the HTC 10 for a replacement Note 7 once they get them in stock. She said it would be one to two weeks and that i would have to keep checking in to see if they had them in, there was no wait list or anything like that.

But you're right, the in-store people mostly don't know. i had gone the day before, Sunday 9/11, and the person i talked to that day told me that i would have to hold onto my original Note 7 till they got replacements, that they weren't doing any exchanges.

yea man, theyre ridiculous for sure lol i am diggin the s7 edge but would definitely like to get the Note 7 back once in.. it wasnt our fault they recalled the device lol i am hoping when they get them in stock that i can just deal over customer service instead of the store.. he seemed oblivious still at the whole process.

Cbass15

Mar 4, 2012
Franklin, OH
0aa2de0d7f9885022e9fabc28d6663cb.jpg

People in Canada can exchange today!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: elliwigy

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
from what i have been reading on verizon forums I do believe you need to exchange your N7 for another device before Sept. 30th and once new N7 devices are available you can switch back.. ive been told this over the phone and many others onthe forums.. you can ONLY switch your exhanged "loaner" device for another N7 of course..

i really hope this is true and wish Verizon would post this process publicly if so

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
I just got an email from Samsung that retail outlets should have replacements by 9/21. Can't wait to dump this Verizon loaner.

on phon3 with vzw tryna see if i can still exchange it, she dont know so contacting another dept to find out.. such a pita

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
That's for sure the case and they can jerk you around all they want but it will happen. When I exchanged my Note for the HTC 10 they didn't have a list or anything but I made it clear in no uncertain terms I'd be dumping it on their counter for a Note 7 the day they returned. They completely agreed but there was no system in place. They were confused despite there being others there doing the same. Just check in every day do they have it? Show up with your phone. Problems? Keep asking to speak to a manager. You're not going to get answers ahead of time because they just don't know.

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
That's for sure the case and they can jerk you around all they want but it will happen. When I exchanged my Note for the HTC 10 they didn't have a list or anything but I made it clear in no uncertain terms I'd be dumping it on their counter for a Note 7 the day they returned. They completely agreed but there was no system in place. They were confused despite there being others there doing the same. Just check in every day do they have it? Show up with your phone. Problems? Keep asking to speak to a manager. You're not going to get answers ahead of time because they just don't know.

after an hour n 20min., she called the store and then in their policies it clearly states we can exchange n7 for another "interim" device and back to the n7 when available.

you can even trade the interim device for another non n7 but in that situation it would be a restocking fee.

she clearly documented my account with the store rep and their managers nameand all the details. I also recorded the entire conversation this time.

she also said vzw is supposed to notify us when they have them no later than the 21st but i surely will call them every day lol

luckily she called my store so when i go in i have names and documentation on my account.

the interim phone does need to be in good shape so dont damage your "loaner" lol

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
Nice. I have my loaner in a box, I hated it. I only kept it so I wouldn't get jerked around getting my 7 back. I do not believe they will call us, every news report said Verizon won't have a replacement for everyone on first pass and knowing them they will sell them to new customers too. I'm sure they had the largest initial sell through.

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
Nice. I have my loaner in a box, I hated it. I only kept it so I wouldn't get jerked around getting my 7 back. I do not believe they will call us, every news report said Verizon won't have a replacement for everyone on first pass and knowing them they will sell them to new customers too. I'm sure they had the largest initial sell through.

hopefully everyones buyin the Apples lol. i broke my initial n7 so best believe i bought a glass protector and a otterbox defender for my interim s7e just in case lmao

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
They still have no idea when they will be in. Could be up to a month is what she told me on phone despite Samsung's email. This whole experience has become so frustrating, maybe a different phone is the right idea. I had a moment of madness where I thought I'd go get the 7Plus to spite...myself? Ugh.

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
They still have no idea when they will be in. Could be up to a month is what she told me on phone despite Samsung's email. This whole experience has become so frustrating, maybe a different phone is the right idea. I had a moment of madness where I thought I'd go get the 7Plus to spite...myself? Ugh.

never would i even consider lol. if anything id go to another android.

they said no later than 21st and stores should have em as early as next week.. hopefully theyre being overnighted by Samsung lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Verizon I went to didn't want the accessories. I had everything in the box and he told me just to give them the phone and the box, I could keep everything else.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
    Terrible experience today (and the past couple of weeks) with Verizon over this.

Since the start of the recall, my nearest corporate store has refused to provide loaners. They said you either return it, exchange it, or keep it until the new ones come in. Even when the recall became mandatory, they refused to do anything if I wanted to get a new one when they were available. I wanted a new one, so I held onto it. This morning I called to see if they had any replacements in stock. They said yes. I informed them it was a 40 minute one way drive for me to get there, and I wanted them to confirm that there would be stock when I arrived. They said while they couldn't hold one, they had plenty of stock and I should drive over. I get there, and they're out. They had been selling them to new customers, not just replacing recalled units.

I called Verizon customer service to inform them of what happened and ask for a replacement to be mailed. After waiting for 20 minutes, I relayed the morning's story and promptly put on hold to be transferred to someone else. After holding for 30 minutes, I explained the situation again and asked why they're selling them to new customers before replacing all of the recalled units. In the middle of my question, the guy said "I'm not dealing with this" and put me on hold. After 30 more minutes, I spoke with a third person who was much nicer and said she could overnight one to me.

But wait - in order for them to send me a replacement, I would first have to pay $74 in taxes by credit card. I told her I already paid taxes when I first purchased the phone, and I questioned the legality of charging any money whatsoever in a government-ordered recall. She said it would be refunded when they receive the original phone from me. In this situation, that's not acceptable. We politely went back and forth for an hour with her talking to several supervisors. I told her to cancel my account several times throughout the discussion. This started out as a bit of an empty threat on my part as no one else has stable service where I live, but halfway through I was 100% committed to do it. They finally agreed to credit my account for the amount I was paying in taxes today in addition to refunding the amount once they receive my recalled phone. My new phone should be here tomorrow.

Following the multi-hour ordeal that consumed my entire morning, I called the Consumer Product Safety Commission to file an official complaint about how Verizon is handling the recall process. The woman I spoke with seemed very concerned that Verizon was selling the device to new customers before replacing all of the recalled devices and that they were charging any money at all to replace the phone, regardless of whether it would be refunded or not.
    I bought my note 7 from a third party. How can I get it swapped out? I went to hear but and they said I couldn't do it it I didn't buy it from them. I'm sure it would be the same if I went to the Verizon store. Anyone who bought from eBay Craigslist Swappa or Amazon ever get a replacement?
    There is a thread under "Questions and Answers" about something similar to this. You may want to check it out.
    She also said it would b3 possible to complete over the phone once they have replacement devices availablesoIcanavoid the storealtogether
    just went into the store forsome accessories nasked again and he told me if i wanted the Note 7 I wouldve had towait that the rep over the phone was lying lol

such a mess and they cant gettheir facts straight

Should of told him he was lying and to do his damn job.