• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Verizon Note 7 Recall Procedures [Discussion]

Search This thread

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Dev / Dev Relations
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
yea, they originally wouldnt let me exchange my note 7 for the interim device because i was 12$ past due lol

they said the system wont allow it.

i however went in today n didnt have issues but my store said they arent selling them that they are only replacements.. they were however letting ppl switch colors. i got black like i originally had and wanted.

others though ran out of silver lol. they also only had 10 left at my store and only recieved 30 in but said they are supposed to get daily deliveries

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
Terrible experience today (and the past couple of weeks) with Verizon over this.

Since the start of the recall, my nearest corporate store has refused to provide loaners. They said you either return it, exchange it, or keep it until the new ones come in. Even when the recall became mandatory, they refused to do anything if I wanted to get a new one when they were available. I wanted a new one, so I held onto it. This morning I called to see if they had any replacements in stock. They said yes. I informed them it was a 40 minute one way drive for me to get there, and I wanted them to confirm that there would be stock when I arrived. They said while they couldn't hold one, they had plenty of stock and I should drive over. I get there, and they're out. They had been selling them to new customers, not just replacing recalled units.

I called Verizon customer service to inform them of what happened and ask for a replacement to be mailed. After waiting for 20 minutes, I relayed the morning's story and promptly put on hold to be transferred to someone else. After holding for 30 minutes, I explained the situation again and asked why they're selling them to new customers before replacing all of the recalled units. In the middle of my question, the guy said "I'm not dealing with this" and put me on hold. After 30 more minutes, I spoke with a third person who was much nicer and said she could overnight one to me.

But wait - in order for them to send me a replacement, I would first have to pay $74 in taxes by credit card. I told her I already paid taxes when I first purchased the phone, and I questioned the legality of charging any money whatsoever in a government-ordered recall. She said it would be refunded when they receive the original phone from me. In this situation, that's not acceptable. We politely went back and forth for an hour with her talking to several supervisors. I told her to cancel my account several times throughout the discussion. This started out as a bit of an empty threat on my part as no one else has stable service where I live, but halfway through I was 100% committed to do it. They finally agreed to credit my account for the amount I was paying in taxes today in addition to refunding the amount once they receive my recalled phone. My new phone should be here tomorrow.

Following the multi-hour ordeal that consumed my entire morning, I called the Consumer Product Safety Commission to file an official complaint about how Verizon is handling the recall process. The woman I spoke with seemed very concerned that Verizon was selling the device to new customers before replacing all of the recalled devices and that they were charging any money at all to replace the phone, regardless of whether it would be refunded or not.

Reactions: jjayzx and elliwigy

mopar

Jul 1, 2010
Verizon did the exact same thing to me except for they charge me the full amount I raised a bunch of hell but they would not budge I find it ridiculous. Every other time I've exchanged the phone with Verizon I've never had to pay Upfront for the replacement.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

This is ridiculous I hadn't read all the other replies maybe I will put in a phone call to the Consumer Protection Agency anybody have the number offhand

Reactions: elliwigy

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
you should report to cpsc, bbb and news outlets imo.. maybe something willat least come to light of it and they can own their mistakes for giving customers hell who purchased a phone that was recalled and their processes, bad reps, bad customer service, mis alignment between individuals not departments. I dont understand how they are all not on the same page.

iknew if i didnt go early before the store opened or even the next day they would pull that crap with me lol.

jjayzx

Apr 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I got the last note 7 at my local store and I got there a few mins after they opened. It was luckily blue too. I was getting annoyed with this guy who was wasting time, he was there before me but was still there after I left. Seemed like he had the guy download all his apps. Just very ignorant to others waiting. He also got blue but then put on a black case and screen protector and I got scared he took last blue as I was still waiting. Then I also heard the guy that was helping him complaining that they don't like this note 7 stuff cause they're not making commission on it. Probably why some stores have people selling. Also Verizon didn't let stores know when their shipments were coming in but sent people texts to pick up a new phone and then told the stores get ready for the rush, lol. People complain about how Samsung handled the recall but I gotta say Verizon takes the cake.

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
[/COLOR]This is ridiculous I hadn't read all the other replies maybe I will put in a phone call to the Consumer Protection Agency anybody have the number offhand

(800) 638-2772

I called yesterday. Tell them you want to file a complaint about how Verizon is handling the recall, and they'll write up a report.

ARR22

Oct 30, 2010
Verizon wont take exchange out because my bill is 2 days past due with a payment scheduled for this Friday. I complained saying this is a special circumstance. They were looking into it and guess what? They had to hang up due to a fire drill! I could here the siren. Wonder if a Note 7 caught fire. Are they f ing kidding me? They said they would call me back. I will report back.

Ps This is after going into a corporate verizon store only for them to not want to help me. They said they ran out of stock. And to call big red to get one ordered. I got into my car to make the call. I saw people walking out with brand new ones while I was on the phone on hold I got out of my car and asked the guy if he got his replaced. He said no he just came in and bought one for the first time. I was livid and went back in and saw that they were activating 2 more. To a couple that were behind me in line. They said they were sorry but they were reserved blah blah. One would think that customers with recalled devices would take precedence. Guess not.

So the Verizon agent called me back after their fire drill. Only to tell me that they could not send me a replacement due to my 2 day past due balance. She said there was no work around in the system even after talking to her sup. She said their system was set up to submit a return and re establish my eligibility then re sell me the phone as if it were new. And since I was past due it would not let her. She said I would have to pay it off first. I asked if she could take payment, she said no that she would have to xfer me to their billing dept.

I was put on hold and hung up on or the call was lost. I went ahead and submitted the payment online and called back. I got another person a guy, who acted like he had no idea about the recall and said he had no training on how to handle it. He said he was gonna put me on hold so he could look into it. He came back and told me their system was not set up yet to handle the recall and I had to go into a Verizon corp store to get it done. I told him that I had already done that and they were not willing to help me and that they told me they were out of stock and I would have to call customer care. He said that was weird, and offered to look into store inventory and said that my local store had them in stock and to go back and demand one. Needless to say I drove back. Checked in waited for 45 minutes and they insisted that they were sold out. Like they had already told me before. I told them fine can you just get one ordered. They said ok. (They could've offered this in the first place)

While they were helping me and setting it all up. I went to my car to get my Note 4 so they could activate so I could use it into the interim. As I came into the store a older man showed up and asked to have his Note 7 replaced. The hostess lady told him that you are in luck because we just had a shipment come in. The same lady that initially told me they had sold out. I asked her if I had heard her right and she begrudgingly said yes they were in the back all along and nobody bothered to open the box. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! I then went to the rep that was helping me to notify her and she went to back to check. She came back with a new Note 7 and I off I went with my replacement. Wow Verizon sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
So the Verizon agent called me back after their fire drill. Only to tell me that they could not send me a replacement due to my 2 day past due balance. She said there was no work around in the system even after talking to her sup. She said their system was set up to submit a return and re establish my eligibility then re sell me the phone as if it were new. And since I was past due it would not let her. She said I would have to pay it off first. I asked if she could take payment, she said no that she would have to xfer me to their billing dept.

I was put on hold and hung up on or the call was lost. I went ahead and submitted the payment online and called back. I got another person a guy, who acted like he had no idea about the recall and said he had no training on how to handle it. He said he was gonna put me on hold so he could look into it. He came back and told me their system was not set up yet to handle the recall and I had to go into a Verizon corp store to get it done. I told him that I had already done that and they were not willing to help me and that they told me they were out of stock and I would have to call customer care. He said that was weird, and offered to look into store inventory and said that my local store had them in stock and to go back and demand one. Needless to say I drove back. Checked in waited for 45 minutes and they insisted that they were sold out. Like they had already told me before. I told them fine can you just get one ordered. They said ok. (They could've offered this in the first place)

While they were helping me and setting it all up. I went to my car to get my Note 4 so they could activate so I could use it into the interim. As I came into the store a older man showed up and asked to have his Note 7 replaced. The hostess lady told him that you are in luck because we just had a shipment come in. The same lady that initially told me they had sold out. I asked her if I had heard her right and she begrudgingly said yes they were in the back all along and nobody bothered to open the box. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! I then went to the rep that was helping me to notify her and she went to back to check. She came back with a new Note 7 and I off I went with my replacement. Wow Verizon sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha sounds about right! glad you fialy were taken care of.. sounds like so much of a hassle they should give you a free month lol

articzap

Aug 28, 2012
I bought my phone used and am now in a constant battle between Verizon and Samsung to get my Note 7 replaced. May have to get an attorney soon to get this issue worked out, sadly.

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
I bought my phone used and am now in a constant battle between Verizon and Samsung to get my Note 7 replaced. May have to get an attorney soon to get this issue worked out, sadly.

lol sucks.. i was on offerup last few weeks callin out every person i saw on there for sellin recalled devices.. unfortunately you might have to go after that person since to my knowledge its illegal to sell a recalled device

droidguy22

Oct 4, 2013

I was also in the same situation until yesterday, spent hours with Samsung, Verizon and Bestbuy over the phone and in store last 3 days, luckily yesterday a nice manager at a Verizon store let me swap, I told him that I bought from an individual on craigslist and that originally phone was bought from Verizon store, he was so helpful that even he gave me a different color from silver to black.

see discussion in below threads, as suggested by someone in those threads try going to a Verizon/Best buy store and tell them that you bought from Samsung and hope they don't ask for receipt, try multiple stores.. good luck for you..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7/722363-tmobile-note-7-craigslist-am-i-stuck-3.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-note-7/help/samsung-refusing-to-exchange-note-7-t3456754/page7

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
I was also in the same situation until yesterday, spent hours with Samsung, Verizon and Bestbuy over the phone and in store last 3 days, luckily yesterday a nice manager at a Verizon store let me swap, I told him that I bought from an individual on craigslist and that originally phone was bought from Verizon store, he was so helpful that even he gave me a different color from silver to black.

see discussion in below threads, as suggested by someone in those threads try going to a Verizon/Best buy store and tell them that you bought from Samsung and hope they don't ask for receipt, try multiple stores.. good luck for you..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...3-tmobile-note-7-craigslist-am-i-stuck-3.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmo...ng-refusing-to-exchange-note-7-t3456754/page7

awesome! so u got a used phone and ended up with the color u wanted and a brand new device as well as the free gear vr or 256gbsd card lol

u came up!

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
sorry I seen it asked but quick question have you guys returned everything or just phone for a new phone in box with accessories. I am asking as it seems VZW is exchanging differently than other carriers as I was given new phone and box and some people on AT&T as well.

Thanks

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
sorry I seen it asked but quick question have you guys returned everything or just phone for a new phone in box with accessories. I am asking as it seems VZW is exchanging differently than other carriers as I was given new phone and box and some people on AT&T as well.

Thanks

i returned my original note 7 with just the box (kept the accessories) and a broken screen and exchanged it for an s7e which they gave me the new box n all accessories..

since it was a "loaner", i returned it with box and all accessories and got a brand new note 7 in box and all accessories..

they also exchanged my tech21 case and glassscreen protector both times

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
i returned my original note 7 with just the box (kept the accessories) and a broken screen and exchanged it for an s7e which they gave me the new box n all accessories..

since it was a "loaner", i returned it with box and all accessories and got a brand new note 7 in box and all accessories..

they also exchanged my tech21 case and glassscreen protector both times

It seems VZW as a carriers policy is phone for phone accessories for accessories in a normal situation. I called Samsung and they said all they needed was the phone. At least the rep I spoke with who barely spoke good English. I changed mine at T-Mobile and was treated kindly even got an extra pen for both of my phones. My co-worker called At&T and they said she can go back to the store and get a box with accessories if they have any at the store.

It just seems to be VZW thats given people are hard time in some cases

elliwigy

Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
It seems VZW as a carriers policy is phone for phone accessories for accessories in a normal situation. I called Samsung and they said all they needed was the phone. At least the rep I spoke with who barely spoke good English. I changed mine at T-Mobile and was treated kindly even got an extra pen for both of my phones. My co-worker called At&T and they said she can go back to the store and get a box with accessories if they have any at the store.

It just seems to be VZW thats given people are hard time in some cases

i had back n forth over phone but each store visit was a breeze with no issues.. they essentially processed each exchange as exactly that, an exchange except they waived any restocking fees or other fees associated with the swaps and even gave me 2 25$ bill credits..

only thing they screwed up on was updating my damn phone to phe before i could say anything

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
i had back n forth over phone but each store visit was a breeze with no issues.. they essentially processed each exchange as exactly that, an exchange except they waived any restocking fees or other fees associated with the swaps and even gave me 2 25$ bill credits..

only thing they screwed up on was updating my damn phone to phe before i could say anything
good info just tried to contact store where we did the exchange and they said its accessories for accessories so oh well. I guess there are a lot of VZW employees with chargers, headphones and cables that will be on ebay or offerUp soon LOL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Verizon I went to didn't want the accessories. I had everything in the box and he told me just to give them the phone and the box, I could keep everything else.

Terrible experience today (and the past couple of weeks) with Verizon over this.

Since the start of the recall, my nearest corporate store has refused to provide loaners. They said you either return it, exchange it, or keep it until the new ones come in. Even when the recall became mandatory, they refused to do anything if I wanted to get a new one when they were available. I wanted a new one, so I held onto it. This morning I called to see if they had any replacements in stock. They said yes. I informed them it was a 40 minute one way drive for me to get there, and I wanted them to confirm that there would be stock when I arrived. They said while they couldn't hold one, they had plenty of stock and I should drive over. I get there, and they're out. They had been selling them to new customers, not just replacing recalled units.

I called Verizon customer service to inform them of what happened and ask for a replacement to be mailed. After waiting for 20 minutes, I relayed the morning's story and promptly put on hold to be transferred to someone else. After holding for 30 minutes, I explained the situation again and asked why they're selling them to new customers before replacing all of the recalled units. In the middle of my question, the guy said "I'm not dealing with this" and put me on hold. After 30 more minutes, I spoke with a third person who was much nicer and said she could overnight one to me.

But wait - in order for them to send me a replacement, I would first have to pay $74 in taxes by credit card. I told her I already paid taxes when I first purchased the phone, and I questioned the legality of charging any money whatsoever in a government-ordered recall. She said it would be refunded when they receive the original phone from me. In this situation, that's not acceptable. We politely went back and forth for an hour with her talking to several supervisors. I told her to cancel my account several times throughout the discussion. This started out as a bit of an empty threat on my part as no one else has stable service where I live, but halfway through I was 100% committed to do it. They finally agreed to credit my account for the amount I was paying in taxes today in addition to refunding the amount once they receive my recalled phone. My new phone should be here tomorrow.

Following the multi-hour ordeal that consumed my entire morning, I called the Consumer Product Safety Commission to file an official complaint about how Verizon is handling the recall process. The woman I spoke with seemed very concerned that Verizon was selling the device to new customers before replacing all of the recalled devices and that they were charging any money at all to replace the phone, regardless of whether it would be refunded or not.
    I bought my note 7 from a third party. How can I get it swapped out? I went to hear but and they said I couldn't do it it I didn't buy it from them. I'm sure it would be the same if I went to the Verizon store. Anyone who bought from eBay Craigslist Swappa or Amazon ever get a replacement?
    There is a thread under "Questions and Answers" about something similar to this. You may want to check it out.
    She also said it would b3 possible to complete over the phone once they have replacement devices availablesoIcanavoid the storealtogether
    just went into the store forsome accessories nasked again and he told me if i wanted the Note 7 I wouldve had towait that the rep over the phone was lying lol

such a mess and they cant gettheir facts straight

Should of told him he was lying and to do his damn job.