Question Verizon Pixel 6 Pro Bootloader Unlock?

Search This thread

ballin2much

Mar 3, 2014
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Honestly I wish I did, but I'm not sure exactly what made it happen. I wasn't trying this time, I was just setting the device back up to run the apps I used since I could only use the device for limited purposes considering it was wifi only. I downloaded HAIL and Shizuku, connected Shizuku through wireless debugging and started freezing system apps. There's sim manager and sim toolkit. I froze sim toolkit because manufacturers use it to push unwanted **** to the device. I froze all apn related apps, but the reason I didn't freeze the device setup/oob.work config app is because it is what actually allows the device to detect an internet connection. If you freeze it, oem unlock will usually say "please connect to the internet." Ive done this on every update, so I would say your best chance is to be on a13 December patch because there must be a flaw.
What do you mean by APN related apps? I was wondering what exactly I needed to freeze, since earlier I froze something I shouldn't have and it bootlooped my phone.

Last edited:

theportal2

Honestly I wish I did, but I'm not sure exactly what made it happen. I wasn't trying this time, I was just setting the device back up to run the apps I used since I could only use the device for limited purposes considering it was wifi only. I downloaded HAIL and Shizuku, connected Shizuku through wireless debugging and started freezing system apps. There's sim manager and sim toolkit. I froze sim toolkit because manufacturers use it to push unwanted **** to the device. I froze all apn related apps, but the reason I didn't freeze the device setup/oob.work config app is because it is what actually allows the device to detect an internet connection. If you freeze it, oem unlock will usually say "please connect to the internet." Ive done this on every update, so I would say your best chance is to be on a13 December patch because there must be a flaw.
Ya calling bs on that. I got a verizon pixel 4a 5g running dec 5 2022 patches and your method is not working for me.

Last edited:

theportal2

Mine showing your phone at the bootloader screen please

Last edited:

Yeedatoy

Jul 18, 2018
Charlotte
AT&T HTC One X
LG V30
This?

Attachments

• IMG_20230109_140150_960.png
    IMG_20230109_140150_960.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 148

Yeedatoy

Jul 18, 2018
Charlotte
AT&T HTC One X
LG V30
My advice would be to use the universal Android debloater tool on here that runs on Windows. The developer did an amazing job and there is a description under the majority of the apps so you know whether or not they're safe to remove. There wouldn't be any difference between removing them and freezing them. Honestly, I didn't expect to come on here and state what I did without everyone completely doubting me... I've seen these threads way too many times to be unfamiliar with how they go. That being said, check my XDA history, and I'm not saying this to you directly, but to anyone who reads this in general. I know it's under my response to you but that's why I want to clarify. I have absolutely nothing to gain by coming on here bullshitting. We previously thought that only the carrier could enable or disable this remotely, or possibly even Google themselves through some sort of software that's tied into the work config app /device setup app. That app definitely contains something...whether it's a script permissions..etc that directly affects the OEM unlock button which is why I mentioned to leave that app enabled. I even tried using app ops to set permissions on that specific app to "ignore" which is supposed to change the way the information is transferred from that app back to the carrier, but that didn't work. The one thing I have learned from this though that gives us a bit of information that we didn't have previously, is that it can be done without Google, or Verizon sending some sort of signal to the device itself in order to make it unlockable.

Last edited:

ballin2much

Mar 3, 2014
Google Pixel 4a 5G
My advice would be to use the universal Android debloater tool on here that runs on Windows. The developer did an amazing job and there is a description under the majority of the apps so you know whether or not they're safe to remove.
Just for the record, I just gave this a try and no luck (Verizon Pixel 7). Wonder if it's specific to your model or is due to the fact you were originally on xfinity.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Because of the new EU/ U.S.A. law on owning a device and being able to repair it, isn't Verizon supposed to legally allow bootloader unlock now?
Source? The only right to repair law I know of in the US is in New York and is laden with poison pill provisions. The EU's laws do not apply to the US so that won't cause Verizon to budge.

Yeedatoy

Jul 18, 2018
Charlotte
AT&T HTC One X
LG V30
Just for the record, I just gave this a try and no luck (Verizon Pixel 7). Wonder if it's specific to your model or is due to the fact you were originally on xfinity.
I contacted Xfinity because I figured since they are a Verizon MVNO, they would have the access to the same resources, especially considering there was that situation on eBay where a bunch of people ordered supposed unlocked phones that ended up being locked to Xfinity. I can't really talk about this subject because it violated XDA rules so I believe that post was taken down, but I figured that maybe xfinity's customer service could unlock my bootloader if I said the correct things. I can't be anymore specific than that though, as I told the moderator, I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. I honestly think it has something to do with the December patch specifically, as if you check on Google's website now you can see that there was some type of vulnerability in the bootloader that has been patched, in the section where the developer bootloader images can be downloaded. My phone was never actually on Xfinity, but even so.... They were still able to pull up My devices information, and told me they could unlock it, and if everything looked okay. It would be done in less than 48 hours but that never ended up happening

Last edited:

Yeedatoy

Jul 18, 2018
Charlotte
AT&T HTC One X
LG V30
Interestingly, there was one thing in particular that I suspected May be true and is the reason I decided to make that call to Xfinity, is the fact that Verizon will say it can't be done but a Verizon MVNO said the complete opposite.... And all he was given was my IMEI number, I did not give any actual history of the device.

Yeedatoy

Jul 18, 2018
Charlotte
AT&T HTC One X
LG V30
Because of the new EU/ U.S.A. law on owning a device and being able to repair it, isn't Verizon supposed to legally allow bootloader unlock now?
From most of the responses I've seen though, Verizon typically claims they can't unlock the device. They will carrier unlock it but claim that they cannot give access to the OEM unlock switch. They tried to put that all on Google. In my case, even after I bootloader unlocked it, it still give me a message telling me to contact the carrier when I tried to put a different E-Sim on the device. After a bit of screwing around, I was able to get around that eventually and to add to the Insanity of it... Now the remaining balance I owed on the device is gone and I even went as far as to see what would happen if I tried to purchase another device and open a new line... And I got to the point where all I had to do was submit the payment and I could have picked up another phone with a new line.

Nergal di Cuthah

Sep 20, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Your source says when devices reach end of life, it could be argued in court that a bootloader can be unlocked, doesn't say it'd be successful just arguable. I think the people in this thread want something sooner than five(?) years from now.

kocheko

May 6, 2012
Argentina
HTC HD7
Google Nexus 5
i read most of the replies and im still tryin to figure it out where i stand with my phone. i have i pixel 4xl brand new, it does not says VERIZON or any other carrier , it does not bring any bloatware, but still im unable to unlock oem (it is greyed out with message "Connect to the Internet or contact your operator".) i read if the IMEI starts with 35 it is a verizon pixel , and mine does . im on android 11 , my question...am i screwed? should i do ota update or it is better to wait for a workaround to be realeased

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, I've been rooting/modding phones since eclair and used to be an XDA News writer, I definitely understand the difference between sim and bootloader unlocking. Once the phone is sim unlocked, the "OEM UNLOCK" option should no longer be greyed out in the developer options. Once that setting becomes available after sim unlock, there shouldn't be anything in the way of unlocking the bootloader. The only thing that could be an issue is if the manufacturer then required a token to unlock the bootloader, but I'm gonna go with Google isn't requiring that. Now, this is all based on my own knowledge and experience, if anyone has more insight to either back me up or shoot me down, please, this is the whole reason we're here in these threads, to gain knowledge and information.
    If Verizon is so informal about sim unlocking their phones after 60 days, it really doesn't make sense for them to enforce bootloader locking at that point.
    I mean, what is the point once they cut you loose with your sim card? Check this out, I had this ****ty Nord 10 5G from Metro and a guy figured out which apps to remove via ADB to carrier unlock the phone, hence making the OEM UNLOCK choice available in developer settings. What I'm saying is sometimes things aren't as locked down as you think, I mean, Metro is pretty strict on carrier locking their phones and really don't like doing it after you've met all the requirements. So if it's as easy as getting rid of a few apps via sneaking through ADB, it's gotta be that way for all the phones it's not like they're running different software (other than version level) they're all Android. Maybe this information will inspire someone on here that knows way more than me to figure out how to unlock a Verizon locked bootloader. If I'm correct, they really don't have that power to lock the bootloader, only to take away our option to do so by "sim/carrier" locking the phone which the software is told to take away our ability to choose that option. Please, anyone, I honestly would like to know if I'm wrong, but don't just say I'm wrong, explain to me and the rest of us. Thanks guys and girls!!!
    I seriously doubt the "60 day sim unlock" allows the bootloader to be unlocked, otherwise we'd have a ton of VZW variant threads filled with development, and devices that are 61 days old, rooted, and running custom Roms.

But we don't. We don't have even have any developers working on VZW devices, regardless of age. So deductively thinking, the "60 day sim unlock" doesn't sound like it's currently an option.

Just my .02 (USD) worth 😁
    The fact that people still believe you can't unlocked the bootloader on any Verizon pixel, is your first sign there are no quality developers on this forum anymore.

It's straightforward.

Sim unlock your phone and boom.

Or, continue to trust the below-average folks on these forums.

Yet, here I am doing the same unlock method again, with the same result. This speaks volumes to how good the supposed developers are on XDA.

Your insults directed at developers, and other members on Xda violate Forum Rules and are no longer welcome in the forums.

Please make sure you fully understand the following:

1) if you have a proven method to unlock the bootloader on VZW devices, open a thread, make yourself famous, and become the greatest Xda developer ever. If you can't or won't open your own thread and share your method, stop posting your self -righteous comments allover the forums.

2) if you post any further insults directed at Xda members, your account will be restricted. Xda is about sharing and developing, not smoke & mirrors and insulting other members who have actually produced tons of legit development.

No more warnings on this, check your PM.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Why are we doing this dance yet again? It's pointless and counterproductive.
    Thank you.
    This same exact thread happened in the Pixel 5 forum.

He won't provide proof.
    And he doesn't have to... It's that simple.
    Just ignore, please.
    Once the phone is sim unlocked, the "OEM UNLOCK" option should no longer be greyed out in the developer options.

That has never happened on a VZ Pixel and it is not going to happen on this one. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
    It's not necessarily true, according to Verizon, they Sim unlock their phones after 60 days. Once that is done, we should be able to to check oem unlocking option in developers options and unlock the bootloader. Am I missing something?
    Incorrect. SIM unlocking is not necessarily related to bootloader unlocking. While T-Mobile (and I think AT&T) users on here have found and reported that when they achieve SIM unlocking on their variants, that they can then bootloader unlock as well, Verizon has for a very, very long time enforced bootloader lock with all their will.

The only exceptions that I've ever heard of were not by choice of Verizon, but by hacks/vulnerabilities. Such as the VS985 LG G3, there was an exploit that didn't actually bootloader unlock, but more made it so that the locked bootloader didn't really matter. On the Pixel 1, if you had the Verizon variant and were still on Android 7.10 or below, you could unlock the bootloader, but once the 7.11 OTA came out, if you hadn't already unlocked the bootloader (or at least toggled the toggle), then you were locked in until a foreign national found a hacking way to get in, but they charge for it. All this while Verizon phones have been ultimately SIM unlocked for similarly a very long time.