• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Verizon Pixel Bootloader unlocked?

Search This thread

EstiR86

Sep 11, 2016
Oil City
Aw! That stinks!
Deep down, I knew it was too good to be true.
Thanks for the correction!

Wait you can still unlock the bootloader! Don't get discouraged a man by the name of smail on Facebook apparently he is also on eBay is selling his services for 30$. He will unlock the bootloader pretty quickly from what I hear in the thread and shouldn't be much of a hassle to contact him.

Reactions: pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo

Dec 6, 2013
PNW
Wait you can still unlock the bootloader! Don't get discouraged a man by the name of smail on Facebook apparently he is also on eBay is selling his services for 30$. He will unlock the bootloader pretty quickly from what I hear in the thread and shouldn't be much of a hassle to contact him.
Thanks! I did read about that, earlier in this thread.
I don't have a Pixel, yet, but that sounds shady.

I'm still on the fence as whether or not to go for the Pixel. I've got a Moto Z2 Play, but there is not much development and I'm Jonesing for the flavor of a custom ROM.

Thanks! I did read about that, earlier in this thread.
I don't have a Pixel, yet, but that sounds shady.

I'm still on the fence as whether or not to go for the Pixel. I've got a Moto Z2 Play, but there is not much development and I'm Jonesing for the flavor of a custom ROM.

I did go with him and he is real. Yes it does sound shady but he is the real deal.

What does ebay dude know, that folks here don't?

One contact him over facebook, yes it is $30 USD, but he remotely unlocks the bootloader. It the real deal. He also doesn't keep on charging your card. It better over facebook and he ask for it only after you are done. It is worth it, I think he does it keep it away from verizon. This isn't a scam.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

That is the $30 question inquiring minds want to know!

Just follow what he says on ebay before and contact him over facebook. He will do it before he charges you. He is the real deal. Look, I do trust XDA over ebay and it was on here . Yes he is the real deal.

Bramton1

Apr 13, 2011
Columbia, MD
So I haven't gotten my Pixel unlocked. I don't really have the money for it. I also have a moral objection to this. This community has been based on people working together and sharing what they have discovered and created for the good of the entire rooting community. The effect of this community has been phone manufacturers starting to incorporate features similar to what we have created into their standard smartphone. I think it's safe to say that the overall quality of smartphone features has improved, and at least part of due to the work of the rooting community.

But now we have a new system emerging. A system where someone creates something and earns some serious cash for their work. A capitalism model has come to XDA. I counted up every instance on this thread where someone said they unlocked with Smail and came up with 40 unique usernames. If each is paying $30, that's $1,200 from just this thread. That doesn't include the people who read about it here, unlocked, but didn't post about it. That doesn't include people who posted in a thread over at the Pixel forum. That doesn't include people who found his service on eBay and have never visited this thread. It pretty much guaranteed he's made over $2,000 for this so far, probably over $3,000. Why release to get a $500 bounty where you can stay private and make six times as much?

Once upon a time, a judge ruled that rooting was completely legal, because we paid for our phones and should have the right to do what we want with them. I have to wonder how altering code that was created by a profit-driven company and then charging people for it would be viewed by a judge. Will a court still agree that rooting is A-OK? All we need is the wrong judge to rule the wrong way, and rooting becomes a crime.

So I've decided that even if I can spare the $30 to unlock this phone, I will not do it. I'll wait for a publicly-released option or I just won't get this phone unlocked. Personally, I doubt there will be a free option. I think since Smail started cashing in, no one is really bothering to try anymore. I wish I knew everyone about coding to give it a try, but I don't. I had to rely on smarter people than me to figure it out. It's worked out well for me for my last three Android phones, but perhaps the party's over. Gonna have to rely on Big Red (gulp...)

lucky_strike33

May 15, 2013
So I haven't gotten my Pixel unlocked. I don't really have the money for it. I also have a moral objection to this. This community has been based on people working together and sharing what they have discovered and created for the good of the entire rooting community. The effect of this community has been phone manufacturers starting to incorporate features similar to what we have created into their standard smartphone. I think it's safe to say that the overall quality of smartphone features has improved, and at least part of due to the work of the rooting community.

But now we have a new system emerging. A system where someone creates something and earns some serious cash for their work. A capitalism model has come to XDA. I counted up every instance on this thread where someone said they unlocked with Smail and came up with 40 unique usernames. If each is paying $30, that's $1,200 from just this thread. That doesn't include the people who read about it here, unlocked, but didn't post about it. That doesn't include people who posted in a thread over at the Pixel forum. That doesn't include people who found his service on eBay and have never visited this thread. It pretty much guaranteed he's made over $2,000 for this so far, probably over $3,000. Why release to get a $500 bounty where you can stay private and make six times as much?

Once upon a time, a judge ruled that rooting was completely legal, because we paid for our phones and should have the right to do what we want with them. I have to wonder how altering code that was created by a profit-driven company and then charging people for it would be viewed by a judge. Will a court still agree that rooting is A-OK? All we need is the wrong judge to rule the wrong way, and rooting becomes a crime.

So I've decided that even if I can spare the $30 to unlock this phone, I will not do it. I'll wait for a publicly-released option or I just won't get this phone unlocked. Personally, I doubt there will be a free option. I think since Smail started cashing in, no one is really bothering to try anymore. I wish I knew everyone about coding to give it a try, but I don't. I had to rely on smarter people than me to figure it out. It's worked out well for me for my last three Android phones, but perhaps the party's over. Gonna have to rely on Big Red (gulp...)
Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg

hkjxda

Jan 21, 2013

Then don't pay... But for those of us who have, we are completely comfortable with what we paid for and are enjoying rooted phones as a result.

No need to complain just because you have issues with it.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

I see nothing wrong with a man offering a service that no one else has, and making a profit off of it. We're sometimes spoiled when things like rooting are free. Why can't he make his cash? Dude is not robbing anyone.

Reactions: andro888

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
A capitalism model has come to XDA

I question you here. If the purveyor of the unlock in no way uses XDA directly then all you really have is third-party conversation generating unsolicited advertising. The only conversation that I'm ever seen XDA go after excluding hate, etc) is piracy.

If he IS actually using XDA then I'm an idiot worthy of ignoring. :)

Is a discussion of legitimacy actually a bad thing?

phineous

Aug 22, 2009
There was a post from Samail before his XDA account was deleted where he indicated that he had notified Google/Verizon of several security holes and they did not respond or did not credit him.

I think he's keeping the unlock technique to himself because if it were in the wild, Verizon would patch it, probably before patching other, more serious vulnerabilities.

Drussell4801

Apr 11, 2018
I searched but did not find, in this thread...
I was researching a Pixel XL and came accross this YouTube, showing a file called "dpixel 8" , which is supposed to unlock the bootloader, on a Verizon Pixel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q_cXradqbo

This info is in the bounty thread, also.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76360189&postcount=112

Aw! That stinks!
Deep down, I knew it was too good to be true.
Thanks for the correction!

There was a post from Samail before his XDA account was deleted where he indicated that he had notified Google/Verizon of several security holes and they did not respond or did not credit him.

I think he's keeping the unlock technique to himself because if it were in the wild, Verizon would patch it, probably before patching other, more serious vulnerabilities.

Or maybe that's his excuse for keeping it secret. We may never know. I have given him $60 to unlock 2 phones and I don't regret it. :)

pizza_pablo

Dec 6, 2013
PNW

That makes perfect sense! :good:

EstiR86

Sep 11, 2016
Oil City

I understand what you are saying but you have to understand if the exploit is open to the public Google/Verizon will patch it in 2 months tops. Meaning less people get a chance to unlock. At first smail was giving the service away for free no charge but I guess he tried to make some money from his hard work. I heard he also contacted Verizon about the security holes but they basically ignored him.

Bramton1

Apr 13, 2011
Columbia, MD
I understand what you are saying but you have to understand if the exploit is open to the public Google/Verizon will patch it in 2 months tops. Meaning less people get a chance to unlock. At first smail was giving the service away for free no charge but I guess he tried to make some money from his hard work. I heard he also contacted Verizon about the security holes but they basically ignored him.

See, I don't know how this makes sense. You're saying that he went to Google and offered them the security holes he is exploiting, and they ignored him. But then if he posts it here for everyone to use, Google will be falling over itself to make sure it's patched.

As someone has previously pointed out, if Google really wanted to fix this, it would be as simple as paying Smail $30, seeing exactly how he's exploiting the system, and patch it. It's more likely at this point that Google isn't worrying too much about a phone that they are no longer selling.

sultansr

Nov 8, 2014
Hey guys. I want to unlock my bootloader with Smail. I have a Mac that has a Windows 7 virtual machine. I think I need teamviewer on the Mac itself, but Flexihub on the Windows virtual machine. Is that right, or how would I make it work?

tweaked

Sep 12, 2008
Your Moms house
I'm only willing to help someone who wants to record what he does with a key logger. Else you are on your own. I don't support people who do such a disservice to the community which is how I feel about this guys services.

Reactions: Bramton1

bill12690

Mar 9, 2010
Hey guys. I want to unlock my bootloader with Smail. I have a Mac that has a Windows 7 virtual machine. I think I need teamviewer on the Mac itself, but Flexihub on the Windows virtual machine. Is that right, or how would I make it work?

You don't need a Windows VM. Just flexihub and TeamViewer. I did it with my Mac and never booted windows in any form. He runs everything from his PC.

Reactions: sultansr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    USBlyzer

I currently have a USB log of the bootloader unlock process. I was reading in another forum that if someone were to use USBlyzer software while the phone was being remotely unlocked, then the community would be able to use this information to provide a free unlock option. Anyways, I did this and have the log, just not sure who to give it to or whats next. Any Devs feel free to PM me or if anyone can point me in the direction of a the right Dev to give this info to, please reply. I'm not looking for compensations, just to finally give the middle finger to Google (in the kindest way possible).
    I say you go for it everyone who tried it succeeded and it seems like everything is fine also the guy does the work and makes sure before he asks for payment he's genuine.

Yeah there's no worries. It worked with out a hitch. He doesn't really have time to do anything else. But as a precaution I wiped all software and access he used and had me download just to be on the safe side. I've since wiped everything on my phone and fast booted the stock .img. I've been through about 5 roms since he unlocked me. And soft bricked a couple times. Hence why I had to wipe entire phone and start from scratch. So there can't be anything implemented on my phone. So I'm sure I'm safe. He seems like a stand up guy also. I mean he puts his faith in you to pay him once he's done the job. That's almost unheard of in this industry.
    All I have to about him is that he is awesome. I have not only let him unlock my Pixel,but, he has spend a couple hours with me the other day on an LG he has never tried. He doesn't charge you hourly it's a flat price. We keep in contact and he is good at what he does.
    Those of you who are skeptical, just watch the Flexihub UI and everything except the adb shell is being used, all others are locked. He is a good guy and don't worry too much about it being remotely done. If you are uncomfortable, just remove all access and software after the procedure is done and you'll be safe. Give him a go it's worth the little money he charges. I fixes imei numbers too. Whatever services you need he provides.
    I'm confused what this would do, would you like to elaborate more.

I'm thinking it would ruin a perfectly good SIM.
    I just made sure type adb devices and communicationing and then tried toggle and to my surprise it turned blue! Sean

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

the only thing did differently was munipulate Sim and that's all.

doesnt. work. i tried this and i ruined a sim card.