• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Verizon Pixel XL - Unlocking Discussions

Search This thread

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Thank you for your quick reply. What I meant to ask is if the ROMs are different for Verizon vs Google Unlocked version. And if I can flash Google unlocked edition?

Once unlocked you can flash any version you want. If you are on VZ use that one. It contains fixes for their network. And if you don't flash that one you will get prompted to install it anyway. I have seen that on mine

firstrayofsun

Oct 17, 2016
Once unlocked you can flash any version you want. If you are on VZ use that one. It contains fixes for their network. And if you don't flash that one you will get prompted to install it anyway. I have seen that on mine

Thanks for your reply. I am not planning to use it on Verizon and instead want to use it on GSM. So, Verizon network fixes doesn't matter to me. I wanted to know if by installing the Google unlocked version of ROM on Verizon Pixel would help when Google/Verizon stops supporting the update at some point of time? I read that Verizon Pixel after patched up to 7.1.1 are locked down and not possible to put custom ROM like the Google Unlocked version (I hope my understanding is correct here?). So, while I am still on 7.1, can I depixel8 and convert my Pixel to Google edition by flashing google unlocked version and don't bother about being locked when support stops?

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I am not planning to use it on Verizon and instead want to use it on GSM. So, Verizon network fixes doesn't matter to me. I wanted to know if by installing the Google unlocked version of ROM on Verizon Pixel would help when Google/Verizon stops supporting the update at some point of time? I read that Verizon Pixel after patched up to 7.1.1 are locked down and not possible to put custom ROM like the Google Unlocked version (I hope my understanding is correct here?). So, while I am still on 7.1, can I depixel8 and convert my Pixel to Google edition by flashing google unlocked version and don't bother about being locked when support stops?

A Verizon Pixel patched to 7.1.1 prevents depixel8 from working. So you cannot slide OEM unlock in Dev Options. But once that slider is moved you can use what ever version you want to.

Once you move that slider just think of your phone as a Google phone. There is no longer any difference. Ypu can run whatever you want.

But don't slide that slider back to locked.

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
A Verizon Pixel patched to 7.1.1 prevents depixel8 from working. So you cannot slide OEM unlock in Dev Options. But once that slider is moved you can use what ever version you want to.

Once you move that slider just think of your phone as a Google phone. There is no longer any difference. Ypu can run whatever you want.

But don't slide that slider back to locked.

Is is still possible to unlock the bootloader on current uptoday Verizon Pixels with Oreo?

assera

Jan 8, 2014
Hi guys,
I thoroughly read this topic but I haven't found a precise answer on the question:
I have a Verizon Google pixel with Oreo firmware and unlocked bootloader. What happens if I flash full stock image using flash-all.bat? Will my bootloader remains unlocked?
I'm curious because I don't know where the information regarding the status of lock is stored - if it is stored somewhere inside a bootloader, I guess that flashing stock bootloader over current one will override the information that bootloader is unlocked and then I will never have an ability to unlock it again.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Hi guys,
I thoroughly read this topic but I haven't found a precise answer on the question:
I have a Verizon Google pixel with Oreo firmware and unlocked bootloader. What happens if I flash full stock image using flash-all.bat? Will my bootloader remains unlocked?
I'm curious because I don't know where the information regarding the status of lock is stored - if it is stored somewhere inside a bootloader, I guess that flashing stock bootloader over current one will override the information that bootloader is unlocked and then I will never have an ability to unlock it again.
An unlocked bootloader will remain unlocked, until the lock bootloader command is sent via fastboot.exe
Code:
 Fastboot OEM lock
Flashing firmware will not lock the bootloader

edit: lock not unlock

Last edited:

assera

Jan 8, 2014
An unlocked bootloader will remain unlocked, until the lock bootloader command is sent via fastboot.exe
Code:
 Fastboot OEM Unlock
Flashing firmware will not lock the bootloader

I suppose that the correct command is
Code:
 fastboot oem lock
So, just to confirm - I can do anything and unless I execute the code above, bootloader stays unlocked, right?

P.S. I just flashed my device. Bootloader is unlocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: sd_shadow

HACK3DANDR0ID

May 25, 2017
New Jersey
I just purchased a 32 GB Pixel XL from a Verizon Sales Rep to use with my T-Mobile SIM card. Unfortunately, when i received the device, it was already on 7.1.2. (w/ Greyed out OEM UNLOCKING). I called Google to let them know the situation, and they sent a RMA and shipping label. I sent it Friday around noon and later that evening i received a confirmation that my replacement was shipped, but not a 32GB unit, a 128 GB Google Pixel XL. If its another Verizon unit, i hope its on 7.1, and if it isnt, i guess i got a free upgrade. We'll see on Tuesday when she gets here :)

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
I just purchased a 32 GB Pixel XL from a Verizon Sales Rep to use with my T-Mobile SIM card. Unfortunately, when i received the device, it was already on 7.1.2. (w/ Greyed out OEM UNLOCKING). I called Google to let them know the situation, and they sent a RMA and shipping label. I sent it Friday around noon and later that evening i received a confirmation that my replacement was shipped, but not a 32GB unit, a 128 GB Google Pixel XL. If its another Verizon unit, i hope its on 7.1, and if it isnt, i guess i got a free upgrade. We'll see on Tuesday when she gets here :)

I wish you the best my friend. My wife and I got 128 GB a few weeks ago from Verizon and while they have older updates as they are more expensive and probably less purchased phones both came with Feb 2017 updates which was android 7.1.2. I'd be really surprised if you got something older. First time since Android came out that we have been stuck on a locked bootloader device. Seems like every device we have had there was always some way to unlock not sure why it is do difficult with pixel xls.

What I'm confused about is how you bought a device from Verizon and did RMA through Google. Wouldn't you have had to go through Verizon?

HACK3DANDR0ID

May 25, 2017
New Jersey
I wish you the best my friend. My wife and I got 128 GB a few weeks ago from Verizon and while they have older updates as they are more expensive and probably less purchased phones both came with Feb 2017 updates which was android 7.1.2. I'd be really surprised if you got something older. First time since Android came out that we have been stuck on a locked bootloader device. Seems like every device we have had there was always some way to unlock not sure why it is do difficult with pixel xls.

What I'm confused about is how you bought a device from Verizon and did RMA through Google. Wouldn't you have had to go through Verizon?

Thanks for the wishes...

Well 1st, Google blamed Verizon and Verizon blamed Google. After speaking to Google, they gave me an option to send my device back, once they receive it, they will ship out my replacement, which could take 21 days. After sitting on the shipping label and RMA for about a week, i decided what the hell, whats the worst that could happen? I'd be stuck at square 1. Then Friday, i finally got the balls to ship it and later that evening i got my replacement email and tracking #. Thank god i didnt have to wait 21 days.

When you and your wife received your devices, were they refurbs or new units?

I dont understand why these developers are leaving us in the dark either. If they had Verizon Pixels i bet we wouldnt have an issue...:(

Reactions: daniel4653

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the wishes...

Well 1st, Google blamed Verizon and Verizon blamed Google. After speaking to Google, they gave me an option to send my device back, once they receive it, they will ship out my replacement, which could take 21 days. After sitting on the shipping label and RMA for about a week, i decided what the hell, whats the worst that could happen? I'd be stuck at square 1. Then Friday, i finally got the balls to ship it and later that evening i got my replacement email and tracking #. Thank god i didnt have to wait 21 days.

I dont understand why these developers are leaving us in the dark either. If they had Verizon Pixels i bet we wouldnt have an issue...:(
Our phones are brand new. What was yours. I might try calling Google to swap ours out. I would think your phone is going to be a non Verizon variant. I didn't think Google direct had Verizon ones. Maybe you will get lucky. Please keep me updated. I'm very curious how you make out.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google does have the VZ version and they do ship them to VZ customers, and refuse to ship the Google version. And sometimes they agree to ship the Google version to VZ customers.

Its a crapshoot, guess it depends on your story and the rep you get.

Reactions: DreamFX

DreamFX

Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the wishes...

I contacted Google. They assure me that your phone and any future replacements even though they can replace phones for Verizon they would send a boot loader locked phone. Only if your purchase directly from them would they send a bootloader unlocked phone.

Still rooting for you to get an old one. No pun intended. :)

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Google does have the VZ version and they do ship them to VZ customers, and refuse to ship the Google version. And sometimes they agree to ship the Google version to VZ customers.

Interesting. Very interesting.

HACK3DANDR0ID

May 25, 2017
New Jersey
Our phones are brand new. What was yours. I might try calling Google to swap ours out. I would think your phone is going to be a non Verizon variant. I didn't think Google direct had Verizon ones. Maybe you will get lucky. Please keep me updated. I'm very curious how you make out.

I purchased my 32 GB Pixel XL from a Verizon Sales Rep, who just got a Note 8. I will let you know what i receive tomorrow, just remember i'm using a TMO SIM, so if i start her up with the TMO SIM, regardless whether or not it's Verizon, hopefully it should work....

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

I contacted Google. They assure me that your phone and any future replacements even though they can replace phones for Verizon they would send a boot loader locked phone. Only if your purchase directly from them would they send a bootloader unlocked phone.

Still rooting for you to get an old one. No pun intended. :)

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Interesting. Very interesting.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Yea i told the Google Rep i was a TMO customer and purchased the Verizon Pixel by mistake and he said it wouldnt be a problem.

Now i'm searching for RMA device feedback....

Reactions: DreamFX

HACK3DANDR0ID

May 25, 2017
New Jersey

Well just got my BRAND NEW 128GB Verizon Pixel to replace my 32GB version. Unfortunately, the 128GB became available during 7.1.1, so therefor i am screwed. Tried booting with my TMO SIM and OEM UNLOCKING was greyed out and on 7.1.1. I did however get a 128GB device. Sorry for the bad news...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol guys don't bite the only hand with the food, lmao I'm so happy I left all this locked bootloader nonsense years ago. I'll gladly wait til mid November for my unlocked ? pixel xl to come in.

STOP SUPPORTING PEOPLE WHO SELL LOCKED DEVICES
    it's as simple as that don't expect a community based unlock when you are debating purchasing a device. And in all honesty I don't think k I've seen a htc device jcase hasn't unlocked so getting him irritated is just shooting yourselves in the foot
    cc @beaups
    Its over, this is @KrAsH86 's verizon pixel
    https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/791116513939902465

Disable updates if you want to use this IF it gets released

Settings > development options, disable the automatic update
    OK please listen closely..... Please stop all the crap... Let's get back to the purpose of why I started this post. Let's get this thing unlocked. Stop attacking people holy crap. If someone has the unlock and doesn't release it who cares. That just means it can be done. Chill out and just wait. It will happen.
    Wonder if Darth or MTM share this sentiment. Hell Jcase who is a senior moderator is the one who cracks them. Thoroughly confused. Are we being punked?

They must have been threatened by Google or Verizon.

Im the one that asked the post be taken down, it was advocating fraud. I'm all for cracking things, I'm not all for abusing warranty departments. I don't like seeing stricter warranty policies, or more expensive phones/insurance.
    Odds are an update coming in the next week, or maybe two (probably nov 1st-ish) will block the unlock.

Do the following if you want to unlock.
    Developer setting, disable automatic updates (can re-enable after unlock).

Once unlocked, dont relock it for any reason unless you dont care to have it unlocked again.